Eco-Friendly Family

Cloth diaper mamas!

I'm pregnant and I want to use cloth diapers
with my baby. I've been researching and I even went to a shop to get more info.
But I'm still not sure which ones I should get, which ones work the best and
are affordable?

Re: Cloth diaper mamas!

• That is a loaded question and you will get a ton of different opinions! :) I cloth diapered and LOVED it. Someone recommended getting prefolds with covers for the newborn stage and then buying a few (but not too many) different kinds of cloth diapers to see what I liked best. Then buy more once I found the ones I really like. It was great advice because the ones I thought I would be excited about didn't seem to work for my son very well. We primarily used fitted and pre-folds for the first couple months, then switched to fitted almost full time until he was around one and then we switched to pockets and AI3s. None of the brands I bought were particular cheap, I think I spent around $650 all in (over the course of 18 months), but it was so worth it. And I sold a ton of the diapers when we were done with them. My favorite brands were BumGenuis, Thirsties, KissaLuv (I think thats how you spell it), and Sweet Pea AI3. 

If you can go to a store and feel the different ones and learn about them that is very helpful. And learn what kinds of water you have- that made a big difference for us when we moved a couple times, we had to change detergents to help with hard water vs. soft water.

I hope this helps a bit! 
  • ohlimohlim member
    We cloth diaper our son part time because his daycare doesn't allow cloth diapers now but when I was home with him during his first four months, we used Soft Bums with their fleece inserts and prefolds with Best Bottoms.  As he got older, we mixed it up and used the SB fleece inserts with the best bottom covers.  The SB covers are also fleece so it became too hot for my son.  I LOVE the Best Bottom covers!  They work great and the double gusset is perfect for my son's chunky thighs.  Plus they are easier to wash than the Soft Bums. I hope you find a method you like! I'm so glad I used cloth diapers but my husband prefers disposables.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Feel free to PM me on Facebook! I can help you navigate through the overwhelming world of cloth diapers! https://www.facebook.com/terrafamilia?fref=ts
  • We bought 24 Bum Genius 4.0 diapers from the start (pocket diapers) and loved them. We started at 2 weeks old (when her umbilical cord thingy fell off) and are still going strong at 15 months!

If you're really unsure, I would buy 4-6 single diapers from different manufacturers and try them out, figure out which ones (not just brand, but types) you like best and then invest in a full supply. No one said you have to start completely cloth diapering from the start (even if that's what I did)!
  • I'm pregnant and I want to use cloth diapers with my baby. I've been researching and I even went to a shop to get more info. But I'm still not sure which ones I should get, which ones work the best and are affordable?

There is no right answer to this lol. For us we used prefolds for when DS when a newborn because I knew they would be small enough and it just made sense to us. When he got a bit bigger I bought several different kinds of pockets the OS ones and realized quickly our favorite were bumgenius. So after that we bought 30 one size bumgenius diapers. I kind of have an obsession with fluffy mail and I am still a member of a bunch of B/S/T sites for cd's on fb and have bought a whole bunch of different kinds on there.
    Alvas are an okay option and are really cheap, they have some really cute patterns too!
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Ha! The million dollar question!
    My son is 17 months and we started CD when he was born. For the first 8 months we exclusively used prefolds (cotton and bamboo) and covers. Then when he started daycare, we added about 25 pocket diapers (daycare wouldn't use any other CD). I still prefer prefolds as they are easier to wash.
    My favorite brands are GDM and DiaperJunction for prefolds, Alva and Best Bottoms for covers, and SunBaby and Alva for pockets. People rave about BGs but they didn't work for us -- the idea of paying so much just to have to replace the elastics upsets me.

As others mentioned, we can get only a few of one or two types of diapers, and then see what works best for you.
    Good Luck!
  • Totally depends on your situation.

The most cost effective are flats or prefolds and covers, but they're the most difficult for other people who are watching your child to figure out. If you are going to be a stay-at-home-mom, these might be a great option. Tough once they get wiggly as they become toddlers though.

The most expensive but also most similar to disposables are all-in-ones. Thirsties makes a great Velcro all-in-one. Not all cloth diaper Velcro is created equal, if you're going the Velcro route. Thirsties and tots bots have the best Velcro. These are a great option of your child will be in a cloth diaper friendly daycare.

Pockets are just as easy for caregivers to use as all in ones, if you stuff them ahead of time. They're more time consuming on laundry days because of the stuffing.

Make sure you get a few medium sized wetbags (planet wise is the best brand I've tried) for daycare and a big one or a pail or something for home. I also keep a wipes wetbag tucked away in my diaper bag for emergencies. It's supposed to be used for cloth wipes, but it fits one dirty cloth diaper perfectly if you roll it up. A great emergency backup if you run out and forget your wetbag.

One of the most popular brands is bumgenius. They have an all-in-one that has flaps that fold over so they dry quickly. They're very absorbant and stand up well to the rest of time. I'd get their snaps instead of their Velcro though.

Is your baby born yet or are you pregnant now? Newborn cloth diapering is a whole different ballgame. Let me know if you want info on that. We cd'd from birth.
  • I agree with PP about trying out a few brands at a time. I use prefolds and covers at home, my favorite being thirsties. Our local natural child care shop actually has a diaper rental service. This is great for people who want to jump into cloth diapering from the beginning without making a big brand specific commitment. They will supply you with a variety of different brands of cloth diapers from birth for about 2 months. 
  • I like flip covers by bum genius. I don't use the inserts they sell; I padfold a flat and stock it under the flaps. It makes it as easy to change as a pocket (but I didn't start this until my son was on solids).
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • ambercakes92ambercakes92 member
    edited September 2015
    @Life is Exciting I would love if you could speak on cloth diapering newborns! I'm really interested but have no idea if it's worth the cost of starting as a newborn since they grow out of them really quickly (I'm on a pretty tight budget).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey @ambercakes92. I'd be happy to share my experience cloth diapering a newborn and offer any advice I can give. Want to send me a private message? I'll respond after my son goes to sleep tonight when I can get on the computer (don't know how to get private messages on mobile). :)

The nice thing is that cloth diapering is easiest while baby is EBF, before solids, so newborn cd'ing is a piece of cake. There are lots of options so you could totally do it on a budget, but there are a lot of things to take into consideration.
  • LittlePantsLittlePants member
    edited November 2015
    **Removed for TOU Violation** 
  • In the same boat as OP. I was thinking of registering for G dippers because there are not that many brands available at target. And this would be a great way to receive CD's as a gift rather than packages of disposable diapers. Sounds like the all-in-one are a more expensive option but I think this will be an esier choice for family who will help some time with childcare.
    Has anyone used this brand? Or any other favorite brands that are good quality and can be purchased from Target or other major retailers. 
  • Lusitano8 said:
    In the same boat as OP. I was thinking of registering for G dippers because there are not that many brands available at target. And this would be a great way to receive CD's as a gift rather than packages of disposable diapers. Sounds like the all-in-one are a more expensive option but I think this will be an esier choice for family who will help some time with childcare.
    Has anyone used this brand? Or any other favorite brands that are good quality and can be purchased from Target or other major retailers. 

I tried G-Diapers but my son leaked through them every time.
    Charlie Bananas is available at Target.  We haven't had any leaking problems with them, but I find the fit to be kind of annoying. 

If you have a BuyBuy Baby near you, they sell BumGenius, which is one of the top brands (for good reason). I like their snaps better than their Velcro (the Velcro pills and curls after a while) and I like the BumGenius Freetimes (they have sewn-in flaps instead of having to stuff a pocket) better than their pocket-style or elemental (fully sewn-in insert so it takes longer to dry).  BumGenius is on the expensive end, though. 

Have you considered buying some other brands from online cloth diaper retailers like Jillians Drawers, Abby's Lane, etc.?  Also, Diapers.com has a decent selection of cloth diapers.