December 2014 Moms
Options

Need advice, going on vacation w/o baby

So my husband and I planned a trip for 6 days while I was still pregnant. I assumed I'd be fine with leaving my baby (who will be 6 months) with his grandparents for that time. I was hoping it would be a time for my husband and I to reconnect and just have some us time. Well of course now that we have him here it's really stressing me out to think about leaving him. For one thing I am a stay-at-home mom and he is with me all the time. We are breast-feeding and co-sleeping so I feel like he's probably really attached. Also my husband's parents want to keep him for a few days as well and the thought of him staying with them and then being handed over to my parents also stresses me out because I'm afraid it will stress him out! 

So much stress! I'm hoping to wean him off co-sleeping before we go and I'm pumping a lot to make sure we can keep breast-feeding. Has anyone left their baby at around 6 months for at least a week? Do you feel like it changed your relationship with them or stressed the baby out? Can someone please tell me something that will make me feel better! I feel like I'm abandoning him and that he'll freak out when we don't come back after a few hours. 

Re: Need advice, going on vacation w/o baby

• Options
    This probably won't make you feel better but six days is a long time to be away, especially while breastfeeding. I would be concerned that he will have latching issues or prefer the bottle by the time you get home. Plus, it's going to be a "pumping" vacation if you want to keep your supply up.

Other than the breastfeeding issue, I think the baby will be fine. He won't yet be at that anxiety phase they get so that should make it easier.

When my middle child was 6 months, my husband and I left him for three days and that was just long enough. We were able to reconnect but by that final day, I was feeling antsy and anxious to get home. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed any remaining days.

If you can't cancel or just don't want to cancel, know that HE will be okay. The struggle will be if YOU are okay!!
  • Options
    I am also going away for 4 nights, 5 days with my husband in a few weeks. My little boy will only be 14 weeks old. Like yourself it was a really hard decision to make leaving them.

I have set two ground rules up for when I'm away....

1. He will be staying with my parents, my mother in law has asked to take him while I'm away also but I have said no I want consistency like he has when at home staying in the one place.

2. They follow his routine including taking him to any classes he has

He has also been staying over one night at the weekend for the last month to get him used to myself and husband not being there as if anything happens we are close by and can get him. He has loved it as my parents spoil him
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm having the same issue, when my son is 6 months my husband and I will be going to Hawaii for 6 days. I breastfeed and feed breast milk out of a bottle and he also co-sleeps. Thankfully my sister in law is going to come stay at our home and watch him and our other son so at least he won't have a change of scenery. But I'm not looking forward to pumping the whole time were gone :(. The baby will be fine, it's going to be harder on you than it will be him. And having a good and happy relationship with your husband, is so important for your son. What I would do though in the time before you go is make sure he gets to spend a lot of time with whoever is going to be babysitting, so that way he is really familiar with that person.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"