High-Risk Pregnancy

Pre-e headache or migraine?

Anyone out there with a history of migraines and prior Pre-e? I have migraines and PIH, but I'm being monitored for pre-e. So far my labs are all fine, no protein in the urine, no symptoms of the high blood pressure. However, I have a long history of migraines with visual problems. If I get a headache and vision problems, how will I know the difference? What does the pre-e headache feel like? Will I be able to tell it apart from my normal migraines?

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Re: Pre-e headache or migraine?

• I too have a history of headaches (thankfully not full blown migraines, but persistent sinus headaches) and had PIH/pre e with my son.  I was told that the PIH headaches are towards the top and sides of your head.  I don't know where your migraines are, but if it's somewhere else, then that should be an easy way to spot a BP headache.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30   DH: 32   
    TFAS since May 2013
    8/14 - Bloodwork showed heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and elevated AMH (but no cysts)
    9/14 - HSG, Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy showed tubes clear, but found and removed Endometriosis, scar tissue and 2 small benign masses on my tubes.
    11/14 - Daily ultrasounds confirmed that my follicles are not releasing the egg and every other day blood draws showed very low progesterone... DH's SA was near perfect
    12/14 - moving onto meds!!! Hold up!!!  Surprise BFP after only taking the progesterone!  Now what do I do with all of the other meds we already paid for?!  Due at the end of August 2015 Beta#1- 4434 @ 22DPO  Beta#2 - 7335 @ 25DPO Beta #3 - 14429  @ 28DPO
  • CharmedseedCharmedseed member
    edited March 2015
    You can always check your blood pressure yourself, BP being one of the key factors! Electronic cuffs are available for around $30-50 in most pharmacies or online, and they work great. I'm hypertensive and check mine regularly, it's easy to do and can offer some peace of mind. Just don't panic if you get a slightly elevated reading - mine are RIDICULOUS right now but sans other symptoms and plenty of kicky baby, doc is happy.

You'd be looking for a 30+/20+ point elevation in your regular measurement over the course of about 4 checks.

(Totally not a doctor over here, BTW, this is just what I know to do from experience - your doc may want to see something different!)
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • @charmedseed - We have a home BP cuff. The problem? The pain from a migranie makes my BP go up. I never know if the headache caused the high BP, or the high BP caused the headache.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Do keep track either way! Measuring with a minimum of 4 hours between will get a 'baseline,' even if there are underlying causes - high blood pressure from something else is STILL high blood pressure! Note whether you're in the midst of a migraine on the records, that can help your doctor.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"