TTC after 35

IVF Questions

I am meeting with my Dr. next week to discuss our next step which is most likely IVF.  Can anyone suggest questions that I should ask? We will pay OOP so I want to make sure we exhaust all possibilities. Here is some of our history:

Me 38, DH 33

Normal HSG

SA with 70% abnormal morphology

4 rounds of Clomid (50mg).

Progesterone levels 13.5 unmedicated, 10.5 medicated.

Not sure what my FSH level is although Dr. did test.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IVF Questions

• Definitely ask about discounts on medication. I was at my WTF appt. earlier this week and found fliers for discounts for Gonal F for OOP buyers.

Good luck at your appt. next week!

Forty-something TTC since 12/2007 3 failed IVFs DE cycle #1: BFP then D&E at 12 weeks due to neural tube defect DE cycle #2: Chemical FET #1: BFN Lining issues, pursuing adoption
  • Did you try IUI first and/or injectables? I had done clomid and then 7 medicated IUI's before we did IVF. Were you monitored on the clomid. IUI is MUCH more affordable than IVF. GL---
  • Loading the player...
  • QE2QE2 member

No, we didn't try IUI or injectables yet. I thought about it but my Dr and DH, who is also a Dr., feel going right to IVF is the safer route due to the higher percentage of success as compared to IUI. I will turn 39 soon and we feel a little pressed for time. As for the clomid, my Dr monitored me on my first round to see how I would respond. My last 3 rounds were not monitored.

TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I myself did not have success with IUI and if money is not an issue than I would move onto IVF!  For us we used our insurance and DH was a little resistant to IVF until we saw IUI was not working. It did work for many of the ladies on the board!
  • I see you are from Northern NJ. Where abouts? Are you going to RMA by any chance? I did the clomid, 4 unsuccessful IUI's and then finally pregnant on 2nd cycle of IVF. I wish I went striaght to IVF but who knows what will happen until it does.

The expenses are really high unfortunately. Ask if they are involved with ARC.You can buy multiple cycle packages with or without money back garentee. I know this company deals mostly with doctors who have great success rates, because they'd rather you get pregnant right way & them not have to give money back.

Medication is another big expense. I got all my meds from Schrafts (specialty pharmacy) & they give a discount-you may need to pay a membership fee of like $5-$10.

I also did an attempted IVF cycle through a study with RMA-they covered most meds & costs. Unfortunatley they canceled that cycle & turned it into an IUI because I wasn't responding properly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • QE2QE2 member

fiazo,

I live in Mahwah and have an appointment with RMA (Morristown) at the end of this month.  They came with high recommendations on the NJ nest board. My OB/GYN recommended IVF through Valley Hospital but those RE's are not in my insurance plan. I think I will go to the RE at RMA to see what he has to say and then see what the price difference is between Valley and RMA. Valley is a lot closer but I suspect they can be A LOT more expensive.

RMA is involved with ARC and I will look into the multiple packages. One facility that I looked into did not give package deals to women over 37. I hope RMA doesn't have the age cutoff. Thanks also for the Schrafts info and congratulation on your success.

• Hey QE2, I went to West Orange/Morristown. Before I chose RMA, I did call both to get price on consultation/ultrasounds & Valley was more expensive, if I remember correctly, I think maybe by like $75?

I did get pregnant through RMA, however, the one thing I thought of often was I wonder if Valley would have been more personal. You will be amazed at how many people go to RMA. Sometimes you almost feel insignificant. It doesn't matter which doctor you choose to be your dr., because you will see whoever is on that day. During my last cycle, I did not see my dr once. I was not crazy about my nurse, but hopefully Morristown will be better.

I did use ARC, I purchased the 3 fresh/3frozen cycle with garentee. I think your age/fertility problems affect the price. I am 39, with unexplained IF. As for the prices at RMA, initial consult back in 1/07 was $250 + the ultrasound that day was $175. After that, routine b/w-ultrasound was $395. there are so many other costs assoicated that I really wish I had someone to talk to who had gone through it, especially at the same place. If you ever have questions or want to meet up, I would be happy to tell you everything I can. I don't check on this board as often anymore, but just write a new post w/my name. I usually post on the pregnant after 35.

PS, if your insurance covers it, run, don't walk. Mine covered nothing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"