Baby Names

Now lets see what you think of the hubby's girl pick.

So I'm 12 weeks, no idea of the sex of my 3rd child. I once had such strong opinions on names but currently don't have any huge favorites. My husband is absolutely sold on the name Jacqueline for a girl (though he's convinced its a boy :) Before I knew that my now 3yr old twins were boys he wanted Jacqueline for a girl and I was dead set against it. I don't like the name Jackie and had dozens of girl names that I was in love with. I'm really rethinking Jacqueline now, though. I do think its a beautiful name, I like that its not super common right now, and I figured maybe I could establish another nickname so that people wouldn't automatically call her Jackie. I thought of Jax, decided I had never heard it before, and kind of loved it. I then saw that American Idol has a contestant named Jax right now. Arghh. Hopefully, she won't go too far but I'm afraid she's pretty good. Darn! :)

So what do you think of Jacqueline? What nicknames do you like? I actually have a few middle names that I love with Jacqueline. What do you think of these:

Jacqueline Mia (this one has a great flow with our last name which starts with M)
Jacqueline Mila (ditto)
Jacqueline Ivy (kind of cute that her initials would be Jim, which is my husband's name)
Jacqueline Elise
Jacqueline Lily
Jacqueline Sophia

Re: Now lets see what you think of the hubby's girl pick.

• I love the name Jacqueline. I've only known one girl with the name and she's a grown adult, but she always just went with the full name, no nicknames. Jac is a nickname option...can't really think of any others at the moment. I like Elise or Sophia for the middle name.
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Elise for the middle name
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a roommate for a couple years called Jacqueline. Everyone called her Jac. 
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• love it especially with elise, I think it sounds great.
  • I love Jacqueline.  It was my grandmother's name, and it's my daughter's middle name.  From your list, I like Elisa and Ivy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Jacqueline Ivy. I know a girl with the name, and she does not use a nickname. Jackie isn't very flattering and Jax is abhorrent.
  • Jacqueline is a beautiful name! Jax is poo poo. Not sure how you could hate Jackie but love Jax...
  • LuvLoveXoLuvLoveXo member
    edited March 2015
    How about Lynn as a nn? I'm with you. Not a fan of the nn Jackie at all!
  • It just occurred to me that if Elise was the middle name her initials would be JEM. Maybe that could be the nickname, Jem or Jemma? Or is that too much of a stretch.
  • Jem could work with the initials if she chose to use Elise as a MN, I think jemma is a stretch though.
  • It just occurred to me that if Elise was the middle name her initials would be JEM. Maybe that could be the nickname, Jem or Jemma? Or is that too much of a stretch.

Actually, I was going to point this out! I love Jacqueline Elise, it has a lovely flow. I'm not a fan of the nickname Jackie either (and I agree with previous posters who said Jax was even worse). With a last name beginning with 'M' I think you have a unique situation to use Jem or Jemma as her nickname. I love it!
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Jacqueline. I don't think a nn is needed.
  • I like Jacqueline, I have an aunt with that name, she goes by Jackie though.

PP's have good nick name suggestions, but as a reminder, you don't have to give someone a nick name based of their full name, some nicknames come from personality and experiences that happen. Don't worry about coming up with the perfect nickname.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Jacqueline Elise is pretty
  • I really like Jacqueline Elise and Jacqueline Mila
  • Jacqueline is a beautiful name.  Jacqueline Elise is beautiful.  What about Lin as a nn?  I really don't like Jax.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• Sounds dated to me

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I love it! Jacqueline is classy and very underused. I think the nickname Jax cheapens it. Jackie is a natural nickname that is going to happen at some point, I don't hate it.

You can have a nickname that doesn't come from a name or perhaps from initials. Or no nickname at all :)

• Jacqueline is awesome :) and Jem would be a cool nn
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I completely understand those of you who think that it is silly of me to worry about a nickname before the baby is even born. I know that it would be ideal if everyone just called her Jacqueline or that a natural nickname formed from a personality, physical, or other trait. However, realistically, Jacqueline is a mouthful and I know that without an easy nickname already in place many people will take it upon themselves to call her Jackie. 

Someone said Jacqueline sounds dated. That was my initial reaction, too. I've changed my mind about Jacqueline because its so beautiful, elegant, and classic. However, Jackie still feels very dated to me. The nickname issue is the main thing holding me back from being completely sold on the name.
  • When you introduce her you can establish a nickname of your own with other people so that they don't automatically call her Jackie. Like if you were to say "her name is Jacqueline but we call her _____" then other people are likely to call her that name as well since that's what they heard initially. And a lot of times in schools etc teachers might say "do you go by suchandsuch nickname?" And she can say "no, I go by this instead". So don't let the nickname deter you too much from the name, it's beautiful.
  • Thank you. That was actually the exact point I was trying to make but the problem is I don't know what that nickname should be. Lynn feels as dated to me as Jackie, regardless of the spelling. I don't want to use Jax/Jacks if everyone hates it. I'm not completely sold on Jem. Jac is fine but I feel like it would be turned into Jackie as well. People like to take it upon themselves to add "ie" onto a name in the interest of being more familiar i.e. Annie, Jimmy, etc...
  • Thank you. That was actually the exact point I was trying to make but the problem is I don't know what that nickname should be. Lynn feels as dated to me as Jackie, regardless of the spelling. I don't want to use Jax/Jacks if everyone hates it. I'm not completely sold on Jem. Jac is fine but I feel like it would be turned into Jackie as well. People like to take it upon themselves to add "ie" onto a name in the interest of being more familiar i.e. Annie, Jimmy, etc...

I hear you on this. I have this problem with my own name. People just love to shorten it on their own even after I introduce myself with my full name. It's like if your name is longer than 5 letters, or one syllable, people automatically assume that you need a nickname. Although I do know several people who do not use nicknames and just make sure to correct people, my mother only goes by Catherine. It really just comes down to you establishing her name, full or preferred nickname, and correcting people until everyone gets it. Commit to it and it can be done.

I personally like the idea of using the nickname Jem or Jemma from her initials (i.e. Jacqueline Elise M-lastname). I think it's clever and definitely an interesting alternative to Jac or Jackie. Plus it sounds a bit more feminine than Jac or Jackie. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I don't think a parent has any control once a child reaches a certain age on what nn they will be called because the child might like Jackie even though you hate it and even if they already have a different nickname. If you hate Jackie, I wouldn't use Jacqueline. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I think Jacqueline is a very pretty name. I'm also not a fan of Jackie but I don't mind Jac. I have a Samantha and was a little hesitant because I really dislike the nn Sammy. Yuck. But Sam was a guilty pleasure name because I used to love General Hospital lol. Anyway, she's almost 4 she's rarely called Sammy. Actually her 5 year old sister is the only one that calls her Sammy every once in awhile, surprisingly it doesn't even bother me when she does ;)
  • Thanks for all the great feedback!
  • All the names you proposed are very beautiful. Jacqueline is so classic! It'd be a little unfortunate to go with Jax which seems so trendy in comparison to the classy full name. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"