Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Returning to work

I am returning to work as a teacher tomorrow and am very anxious about it. I hadn't told anyone at work I was pregnant (besides my teammates) and I can only assume that since I was gone for an entire week that most of the staff knows now. That is not what I'm worried about really, though, it is actually my students. They are 3rd graders and have been wondering why I was gone. As k write this I know I don't need to explain I can just tell them I was sick but am feeling better enough to be at school now but part of me wonders if I should tell them? I don't know. Also I think about their parents who have been sending me sweet get well emails and are wondering what has been going on. I generally send out a biweekly email and was thinking I should explain my long absence. But again, knowing I don't have to makes me wonder if I should explain at all.

Has anyone gone through this? I just don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow.

Re: Returning to work

• Options
    Ya know, for me, it makes me feel better to talk aloud about it. At first people were afraid to talk to me about it because they were afraid to upset me. The truth was, my healing took place when I could tell people that I did have a baby growing inside me. That he/she was real, that they existed and they mattered. Telling people about them kept their memory alive for me and I knew how many other people cared about my baby too.

It's up to you how you want to handle it. Either way it won't be easy. Best of luck getting through the day :)
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    It depends on how strong you are. I don't think I could handle that!!

Good luck :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also a teacher and today was my first day back.  I told my kids I was sick and that my husband (their other teacher) stayed home to take care of me.  I feel like someone may have prepped them to not ask me questions because I haven't had one ask me why I was gone.  You might write in your letter to parents - Thank you for your support and well wishes, they have helped me heal.  And leave it at that.  I told the staff I was closest to I was pregnant and I'm glad I did because I want them to know I miscarried and what I went through and they are supportive of me and understanding of my sadness.  I don't think the kids have to know though.  I was the opposite of Embuzz247.  If I talk about it I start crying so I asked my staff to not bring it up at work with me.  I just couldn't handle it.  Hope this random rambling helps you out and your back into your work groove.  The good think about teaching is it's very hard to think about anything else while working with kids.  They take all your time, energy, and thoughts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"