VBAC

Starting to have second thought on my VBAC

gdgrl711gdgrl711 member
edited March 2015 in VBAC
Hello Community!

My Dr is gung-ho about my VBAC, but upon reading the numbers from data bases, I'm not so sure. Both VBAC's and RCS pose risks, but risks to baby seem high to me, 2.8-6% of babies die due to uterine rupture during a VBAC. These numbers are from 2010, but they are making me very nervous. It seems like RCS is safer for baby, thoughts? I am not a great candidate since my daughter had to be suctioned out of my pelvis during my C-section, (too narrow.)

Re: Starting to have second thought on my VBAC

• Wow, thanks so much for the response. I like numbers too, especially when they are in ones favor. There is a lot here for me to think about. I didn't know about the risks assosiated with c-sections for future babies, so thanks for that as well. This is something I need to talk more to my midwife about and really dig deep inside me to decide the best way to get him out safely. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You're welcome - hopefully this helped put it into perspective for you. I did a LOT of research in the two years between my CSection and my next pregnancy, and then I had to use numbers like those above to help get my hubby on board with a VBAC. There's a lot of stigma out there as to whether or not it is safe. Ultimately it's not "safe" vs "not-safe" - it's about how much risk we are willing to take and what steps we can take to mitigate those risks.

Ask you doctor about things you can do to help you with a successful VBAC, as well. I'm in the process of researching that, and it looks like gaining ONLY the recommended amount of weight, staying active during pregnancy, sitting in positions conducive to baby's movements (AKA don't recline), and using an exercise ball to keep your hips open is important. If I can dig up anything else, I'll let you know. 
  • That would be great, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"