Natural Birth
Options

Doula with hypnobabies?

I'm planning to use Hypnobabies for our birth in May — I already have my home study guide. We are also planning a non-medicated, intervention-free birth, although we are giving birth in a hospital because there are no birth centers or midwives in our area. So far the doctors in our practice have been on board with the plans we've presented them with and I feel pretty confident about the whole birthing process.
However, I'm still wondering if I should hire a doula. I'm trying to figure out if her presence would be something needed and honestly worth the cost, or if after everything I would feel like I didn't need her there at all.
Has anyone who used hypnobabies also used a doula? Or can anyone tell me about what they thought about using a doula during a hospital birth?

Maybe if nothing else her presence would help calm me at the hospital — a place I'm sure to have trouble relaxing. I also wonder if it would help my partner, so he doesn't have to stress about what to do for me. I'd be happy to hear people's thoughts and experiences. Thank you!!
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doula with hypnobabies?

• Options
    We're taking a hypnobabies class and our instructor highly recommends hiring a doula. She's had 4 kids, 3 using hypnobabies, and says it's well worth it. Our hospital offers volunteer doulas, so we're just going to use that.
  • Options
    Do it! Get a doula. It will be well worth the investment. Doulas are amazing. She will help remind you of all your Hypnobabies cues and tools. She will help you and your partner ask the right questions. And doulas are great for dads too. A doula will help involve him (up to his comfort level) and take the stress off him. I think sometimes we put too much pressure on dads to remember everything from childbirth class, and then expect them to support us physically and emotionally during our births. Have you checked out the Hypnobabies website for Hypnobabies doulas in your area? That would be a great place to start. Even if there are no Hypno-Doulas in your area, many doulas are open to learning about Hypnobabies and how to support their clients.

Here is an awesome article on the benefits of doula support. https://juliebyers.com/doula/doulaswhodonothing/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OP- get a doula if you can. The support they give you and your partner will be worth it.

@mamakell‌ - great article!
  • Options
    The women I know have never regretted hiring a doula. If you're worried about the cost, inquire wherever they offer doula classes near you- often doulas in training have to attend 3 births to become certified and will help at no cost.
  • Options
    If you really want a completely natural birth, I would definitely get a doula to advocate for you. I feel with hospital protocol being what they are having a birth without any intervention is probably realistically rare
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback ~ it has been really helpful to me. With a little help, I was able to locate a doula in my town and I'm meeting with her next week! I'm really hoping things work out so I will have the extra support on my birthing day!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doula was my hypnotist and I was very fortunate to have a pretty amazing birth. Best of luck to you!

• Options
    I am a birth doula and I have never had a single client, natural birth or not, tell me they didn't think my presence was effective or helpful. Doulas can help you with positioning to turn baby to overcome labor stalls and keep labor moving.
  • Options
    I had two HypnoBabies births with two different doulas in two different hospitals (my first Doula moved out of state and the first hospital I birthed at shut down while I was preggers with the second.)  Both of our Doulas were AMAZING and the hubs and I agree (he is emphatic about it) that we wouldn't have done it any other way.  You spend a lot of time on your own in the hospital.  It's reassuring to have someone with you who has done this before - a subject matter expert on birthing babies and l&d environments.  It gives you a lot more space to just relax and birth your baby and takes an incredible amount of pressure of your partner.  In the beginning I wanted a doula because the hospital was 3 blocks from our apartment and i was afraid that i wouldn't know when we should go to the hospital and i was convinced my husband and i would get really tense about if we were too early or in the danger zone.  Would it be faster to walk or drive?  etc.  I wanted someone to advise us on when we we should walk out the door.  In the end, I didn't get to labor at home at all so it didn't matter (planning - ha!) but we were really glad that we went with a doula anyway.  

Both of ours were massage therapists which i highly recommend.  their ability to give serious counter pressure was invaluable - especially the first time when baby was posterior.  Their advice on positioning and movement during birthing was really wonderful too - we couldn't have gotten that anywhere else.  OH - both hospitals i went to were super awesome with doulas.  i think they make the nurses lives a bit easier in the long run.  

Proud mom of two boys - July 2010 and November 2013
    Hypnosis made my births painless and drug-free! Check out my website to learn more: www.pickinglimes.com

• Options
    I've already given birth med-free and there is still  NO WAY I would attempt a hospital birth without a doula. A doula is worth her weight in gold! 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Just a follow up to my original post: I DID end up hiring a doula and I absolutely LOVE her! From our first meeting I was super excited about the thought of having her support and knowledge at our birth. I can't wait!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    good for you!!!  i think for a hospital birth it's EXTRA important. she will be able to act as a translator and bodyguard with the staff - sometimes a practice will be "on board" with something and then you arrive in hospital and they may try and change things on you - having a doula ensures that someone is advocating for your needs; plus, it alleviates some pressure from your hubby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"