Baby Names

Seamus?

We just found out we are expecting a boy. Big sister is Genevieve, but goes by Evie. Our name list is constantly evolving. We need to narrow some names down.

mn will be Alexander. Last name is a McName. ;)

Is Seamus too out there?

We also like:
Declan
Jackson
James
Garrett
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: Seamus?

• Seamus isn't out there. I think it works fine, and aside from James, is the only name you listed that isn't trendy.
  • Loading the player...
  • I like James the best, please no more jacksons
  • I'm open to other ideas too!
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • Are you in the UK? I love the name but people in the us might say See-muss. Maybe...
  • Im partial to Declan because I have one, (he's 10) and although people say it's trendy now, we've met 2 in his whole life. I like James, but hate nn Jamie, which I feel is inevitable. Jackson on the other hand is very popular. Garrett is a nice name, and not too common. I wish I liked Seamus more, not bad, just nms. Perhaps Kellen?
  • i absolutely love seamus!!!!
  • lola2bee said:

Are you in the UK? I love the name but people in the us might say See-muss. Maybe...

No, in the north east. In an Irish city though ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • I want to like this name. I know how it is pronounced but I can't look past the spelling :( I really love Declan and I have never met one irl. To elaborate on the suggestion above, I add Killian
  • I love Seamus! I'm in the midwest and have always heard it pronounced correctly.
  • angc4angc4 member
    I love Declan also :)
    28, DH - 30 
    Married 10/04/14 
    TTC since 1/1/15
    BFP 5/28/15
    MC 6/9/15
    BFP#2 9/21/15 - EDD 5/20/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Seamus is a great choice! Declan is great too, but, rising in popularity. I love Alexander as a MN for either!

• 4N6s4N6s member
    BHEAT14 said:

Can I ask, how do you pronounce Declan? I never seen it before these boards. It looks like a cool name but is it Dee Clan or Deck Lan

Deck-Lynn
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Naf of Seamus.

Garrett is great!
  • Love Seamus! Never heard it mispronounced, and I'm on the west coast.

Declan, James, and Garrett are all great choices too. I'll add Sean, Shane, and Angus.

Please no more Jacksons! It's really getting ridiculous.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • brita722 said:

Love Seamus! Never heard it mispronounced, and I'm on the west coast.

Declan, James, and Garrett are all great choices too. I'll add Sean, Shane, and Angus.

Please no more Jacksons! It's really getting ridiculous.
    Angus makes me want a cheeseburger haha. I like your other suggestions.
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • Really like Garrett! Seamus just doesn't do it for me.
  • Seamus Alexander is amazing! My favorite from your list. Second favorite is Declan.

• Seamus Alexander is INCREDIBLE! I have been pushing Seamus on H for ages and he isn't having it.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• I'm in the NE as well and there are enough seamus's that people know it.
  • I'm a fan of Seamus. I'm a McLastname as well and if DS wasn't Sean, Seamus would be on the list for another boy.
  • Seamus reminds me of Semen

Then you obviously don't understand pronunciations...read a book, see a play, educate yourself.

Seamus is a great name.
  • I'm curious as to how this is pronounced.

SHAY-miss
  • I'm curious as to how this is pronounced.

SHAY-miss
    Oh, like Sheamus.

Hahahaha ew! No!
  • I LOVE the name Seamus. It's actually my cat's name, so I wouldn't be able to use it for a baby... If we ever have a boy (we're team pink this time), I may consider making Seamus his middle name because I just really really love it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've met several people named Seamus, and I don't think pronunciation is an issue. I don't like the name, though, because it has the word "Shame" in it, and that's all I hear. It's a nice name, but for me, that's all I can think of. I would probably get over it if I had a Seamus that I knew really well.
  • ==N====N== member
    It's awesome!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Personally I don't like it. But I've never known one IRL.. If I met a cool person named Seamus I'm sure it would grow on me. :) Right now though, I just don't like how it sounds. I prefer Sean. And a million other Irish boy names.
  • LizWhiz87 said:

Seamus reminds me of Semen

Then you obviously don't understand pronunciations...read a book, see a play, educate yourself.

Seamus is a great name.
    LOL shhhhhh. OP asked for people's opinions and that is mine. I know how to pronounce the name Seamus, it's actually my cousins name and I am half Welsh. Thank you for your really silly, meaningless 2 cents ;)
    If you know it's pronounced Seamus, why would you think Semen? I feel like that makes you the silly one. Do you look at the name Sean and think "seen?"
  • LizWhiz87LizWhiz87 member
    edited March 2015

LizWhiz87 said:

Seamus is a great name.
    I read books all the time. Sometimes, two books per week. When did books start pronunciating words for you?

Don't dictionaries give pronunciations? And teach you that 'prounciating' isn't a word? Maybe you are reading the wrong two books each week...

• I love the name but have to admit, when I had first seen the name (in Harry Potter books 15 years ago) I had pronounced it see-mus. I'm in Canada though and it's not a popular name. If your in an area where people know how to actually pronounce the name then go for it!

• LizWhiz87 said:

Seamus is a great name.
    I read books all the time. Sometimes, two books per week. When did books start pronunciating words for you?

Don't dictionaries give pronunciations? And teach you that 'prounciating' isn't a word? Maybe you are reading the wrong two books each week...

Boy, you schooled me.

While you're giving out English lessons, please remember not to start a sentence with Don't. Your sentence translates to "Do not dictionaries give pronunciations?". That makes total sense.

It's a rhetorical question, and there is nothing grammatically wrong with it.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"