May 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else starting childbirth classes?

Hello ladies! Just wanted to check in and see if there are any other moms (or dads) that are taking childbirth classes? DH and I had our first class last night. It was kind of just an introduction, early labor signs, etc. Hopefully they get more into the specifics in following classes. Ours was actually a really big class (for our little town), 9 couples total! I'm super excited because the nurse teaching the class is also a lactation consultant! I'll be seeing her again when I take the breastfeeding class. :D Can't wait to hear everyone else's experience with their classes!

Me: 24  DH: 26

Sept 2012 - Married Love of My Life

AO, possible PCOS

TTC for 15 months - Success!!!

Due Date: May 6, 2015

DS induced April 27, 2015 - Hypertension

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else starting childbirth classes?

• Options
    H and I are taking a weekend childbirth/infant care course and an infant CPR course in mid-April. Hopefully I make it until then! We couldn't do an earlier one because he's been swamped with being an accountant during tax season.
  • Options
    We attend our first class tonight! It runs for the next three weeks on Thursday nights. I'm actually excited to tour the hospital and meet some other soon to be parents!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just got done with our 6 week hypnobabies class! I LOVED it and DH felt very prepared for a natural birth. We will be taking a one day newborn care class probably in early April
    Me (27), DH (27) 1 fur baby
    TTC Sept '11
    Found ovarian cyst Sept '12
    surgery to remove cyst and diagnose endometriosis Jan '13
    Lupron injections Feb '13-July ' 13
    TTC on own July-November '13
    IUI #1 January '14-BFN
    IUI#2 February'14 cancelled due to not responding to Clomid
    IVF #1 cancelled 4/28/14 due to not responding to meds and not enough follicles
    IVF #2- BFP due May'15

• Options
    We started our first birthing class this past Tuesday.  It's 6 weeks long, with the first 4 weeks focusing on birth and the last 2 will be parenting classes.  The third week we will be touring the labor and delivery unit as well as see a little bit of the NICU.  Jerica, like yours, ours did early signs of labor. 
  • Options
    We did our hospital tour separately.  And then we did a Newborns 101 (which starts from immediately after birth through the first year) and a separate sleep series.  They were definitely more helpful for DH, who has very little experience with newborns, but there were some pieces that were new and helpful for me (after working in daycare centers with infants all through college), but I think we've hit our limit on sitting still in those and won't do anymore. :)
  • Options
    DH and I are taking a childbirth class that is on a Saturday all day (9am-2pm). This is the only way it is offered at our hospital. Our class is April 4th. We are also taking a breastfeeding basics class which is this coming Tuesday. Also a on time only class. I'm looking forward to what t hey have to share even though I feel pretty well versed in labor lingo and what goes on during labor and delivery. It can't hurt to learn more.
  • Options
    DH and I took an all day (9-2) comprehensive birthing class last week. I've been thru a birth already but DH hasn't and I think it was really great for him, plus I learned a few things as it's different city/hospital than my first and it's been 5 years! DH just keeps saying how bad he's gonna feel for me because he can't imagine the pain. Lol.
  • Options
    My husband and I are taking a 3 day childbirth class in April. They say you're supposed to be finished with your last class 4-6 weeks before your due date. We will be 2 weeks before. Let's hope I last until my due date!
  • Options
    My husband and I are 2 weeks into a 7 week class offered by our hospital.  So far, aside from how things go down at our particular hospital (which is the main reason I opted for hospital classes), I haven't learned anything that wasn't in "What to Expect When You're Expecting", but even with that, it's SOOO much FUN!  Really enjoying meeting/commiserating with other couples! :)
  • Options
    My DH and I are taking a 9-3 class this Saturday. They also offered 4 evening classes, but they are in the middle of the week, and we often have other meetings scheduled then. Hoping it will be really helpful. Since we're taking this class the breast feeding class is free for us, which we'll do in April.
  • Options
    I'm starting a 5 week/10 hour class next week.  The hospital tour is separate, and I'm also going to it next week to see what all is there, and what the hospital provides.  I have no idea what's covered really in the classes.  I hope it's not MORE on 'eat your greens and vitamins'.  Get it, got it, good.  :)
  • Options
    DH and I are taking a 6 week private class that's taught by a doula. We've done 2 classes so far and are really enjoying it.

We also did an evening session on sleep for 0-3 months. We both found that tremendously helpful.
  • Options
    My husband and I are on week 6 of our 12 week natural birthing class, the Bradley method! We love it and it has really made us excited for our natural birth!
  • Options
    We are also doing the Bradley Method and loving it. We've completed 9 of 12 classes. I'm even seriously considering becoming a Bradley educator in the future because we only have one here and she's due a month after me, so she's planning to stop teaching for awhile.
  • Options
    We're doing a day long Saturday class at the hospital for childbirth on April 25th. I feel that's a little late but with Hubby's travel schedule that was the earliest we could manage. Plus, the hospital recommends it at 3-4 weeks before delivery, so maybe that's okay. We're also doing a breastfeeding class on April 14 for two hours. That's the extent of our planning. I'm just starting to feel like we're behind overall.
  • Options
    Grabbed the last spot for a 3 hour breast feeding class this Sunday and I'm very excited. Looking into another baby education class that's 3 weeks but it's also 50.00 so not sure if we will do that or just the free tour. I'm 32 weeks and also feeling like we are behind.
  • Options
    DH and I just finished taking three courses this past week (Prepared Childbirth, Basics of Baby, and Breastfeeding). I was late to sign up for the Infant Safety and CPR course which filled up quickly so I don't have that until May 9th when I'll be 37 weeks. I'm going to play that one by ear since it's so close to my due date. All have been really informative so far and I'm glad I went.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

That is so exciting! It's so interesting to see what route everyone is taking! lol Our class is "Prepared Childbirth" and kind of goes over all the options our hospital offers. It's 2 hrs every Wednesday for 6 weeks with a tour of the maternity ward at the end of the last class. The breastfeeding class I start at the end of this month, its 2 classes - 2 hrs each. The lactation consultant that teaches our childbirth class recommended that DH come to the breastfeeding class as well, is anyone else bringing their DH or going solo? I'd hate for him to go and be uncomfortable or make any of the moms who came alone uncomfortable... But I think it would be helpful to have 2 sets of ears so we could soak up as much info as possible. lol Then we did sign up for a one-time "Baby Care" class, just to make sure we cover all the basics. My hospital doesn't offer Infant CPR or anything like that... maybe it's included in the baby care? That class isn't until the middle of April so hopefully we are able to attend. It was so nice hearing from everyone!

Me: 24  DH: 26

Sept 2012 - Married Love of My Life

AO, possible PCOS

TTC for 15 months - Success!!!

Due Date: May 6, 2015

DS induced April 27, 2015 - Hypertension

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In my breast feeding class there were 7 couples and one lady there with her mom. It didn't seem uncomfortable in any way. But there were dad's on there phones instead of paying attention and then other dad's that had lots of questions and were really engaged. My husband says he got a lot out of it and was glad he went. I'd say take him, you likely aren't the only one the LC recommended that to.
  • Options
    I haven't and don't plan on going to birthing classes. It's all sort of self explanatory. You get to the hospital and have a baby...the birth plan may need some thinking on, but I already know I want an epidural so that's all figured out. I didn't go to anything with my first birth, and that was all smooth sailing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"