Working Moms
Options

New job at 23 weeks need advice

Echo1334Echo1334 member
edited March 2015 in Working Moms

Hi,

So I am really in need of advice from anyone that has some to give. Im 23 weeks pregnant, my BD ended up out of the picture a week ago and I moved cities right afterwards (middle of nowhere, no job options, not child safe). Anyways as I know Ill be on my own soon Ive been looking for a good job that I can do and just got an interview today for a secretary position. Im very hopeful that Ill get this job however Im not sure how to handle the whole 23 week pregnant and just starting conversation. I actually don't look pregnant which could be a good or bad thing but means that I have to bring it up on my own. Ive read advice and it seems like you wait till  you get the job offer in writing then bring it up. My question is what would be a good place to start negotiations? I know that taking to much time off wont work for me although I will be looking into state financial aide. However, I do want a bit of time off to recover, deal with the brand new newborn stage, etc. Any recommendations on how to negotiate and where to start it off at? Btw even if I don't get this job I really do need something and have been applying like crazy so it will hopefully come up soon.

Edited to add another question. So before BD deciding that his habits were more important we were planning on me staying home and going to school. Now of course Ill need daycare which Ill be getting state help for. However, does anyone have any advice on finding ones that will take in newborns? Will most of them take kids in regardless of age? Are wait lists really that long? Will they allow me to bring in breast milk or do daycares only accept formula? Any other advice?

Re: New job at 23 weeks need advice

• Options
    I would not mention that you are pregnant until after you are offered a job. As time goes on and you continue to go on interviews, people might be able to assume or guess that you might be. But I wouldn't bring it up, especially for as long as it wasn't completely obvious. When you are offered the job, I think you need to tell them that you are pregnant and when you are due. Let them know that you will need to have a few weeks off and see what they say. You won't qualify for FMLA, so there is no guarantee a job will be there waiting for you when you return. They might be more or less flexible with how much time you could take off. 

As for daycares. It may depend on the state, but many will take babies in as newborns. It depends on where you live for how long wait lists are. In my city, only in-home centers seem to have wait lists. However, I know in neighboring areas everyone has wait lists. I have never heard of a daycare not taking breast milk. They do have standards on how often you have to replenish their supply and most will make you wash your own bottles and bring new labelled ones in the morning. I would start calling around soon and start looking for a daycare. You may need to put down a deposit to hold your baby's space until they start. You should check with your states website. I know in the state of Michigan they post a list of all licensed day cares. I went through that and it's how I found DS daycare. 

Good luck on your interview!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SLGILL1978SLGILL1978 member
    edited March 2015
    Where is this secretarial position?
    I am an admin assistant for the school district. I was here a year when I got pregnant. But in the past, I know that lots of pregnant woman got a job that were further along than you. Typically you will be out on maternity leave for at least six weeks. No daycares will take a baby younger than that unless, you go the nanny route. I would start looking as soon as possible. That was my major err. I started while I was on maternity leave. I had to pay an arm and a leg for daycare for the first six weeks when I returned to work. Typically in homes may or may not make you pay a deposit. My daughter currently attends an in home and I didn't have to pay a deposit. Both of the daycares my daughter attended accepted both breast milk and formula. Same as the previous poster, my state (Kansas) provides a list of licensed daycare providers. That is also how I found mine.

As far as telling the job, I don't really have any advice. I would say let them know when you are comfortable. And the previous poster is also right, that you won't qualify for FMLA. I know that when I was pregnant, I had an interview at another school and I did say I was pregnant up front. One of the people interviewing me was also pregnant and was due a few weeks before me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"