False Positives? XP — The Bump
Success after IF

False Positives? XP

mooseluvrmooseluvr member
edited March 2015 in Success after IF
This is the scoop

I did IVF last year and got pregnant. I am in my early 40's. I am breastfeeding my infant. I know they say NOT to take pregnancy tests while taking fertility meds as they will produce false positives, but how long is that true?

I am no longer taking the meds because I had my baby obviously and I just tested positive on a pregnancy test. Could that be some remnant false results from the fertility meds, or did a miracle just happen and I am possibly pregnant?!?

To make matters more confusing, I took a second test and it came back negative.

I will obviously go to the doctor to check but just wondering if anyone has heard stores of "false positives" LATER because of the meds

Re: False Positives? XP

• A false positive is most likely going to come from an HCG trigger shot. That would be why you would either want to test out your trigger (everyone metabolizes it differently) or wait until a day or two before your beta. An HCG trigger should leave your body between 1-2 weeks.

It sounds like it has been a year or so since your treatments. You might test again or make an appointment for a pregnancy confirmation with your doc. Good luck! Fx that this is a miracle baby!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Update (kinda)

So went to the doctor, they ran a urine test which was negative but they decided to do a blood test, too. Dont have those results yet

It could be a) super early pregnancy or b) some of my hormones from being recently pregnant triggering the test. 

They simply are not sure either! LOL

Doctor said hormones from pregnant do stay in system but wasn't sure how long, so I am being treated as PUPO

• Loading the player...
  • Huh, I didn't think about how long during pg or post partum hCG is present.  Even though I was EBF, with DD I got AF at 4.5m, pp which implies my hCG was 0 by 4m or so (for DS AF arrived at 11m pp).  If it's a BFP, FX it sticks!  I have been at this a long time and have seen enough post-IVF BFPs to expect them.  Heck, I wouldn't be utterly surprised (just mostly shocked) if I got one (TTTC over 10 yrs), but am not TTC awaiting final FET.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• mooseluvrmooseluvr member
    edited March 2015
    UPDATE: 

not pregnant, so have nooo idea how test came positive. I read it correctly and never took my eyes off of it. It said "YES" and still reads as yes days later.

NO idea how that happened. I guess it was that .1 percent

I am 4 months out, so even the doctor didnt' think it was positive from pregnancy, but she couldn't be certain.

It would have been a true miracle if had been truly positive considering my age, IVF history, breastfeeding, and very little time for "romantic" time since giving birth.

Guess it wasn't meant to be, but I am okay with that as I am still exhausted from my current newborn

• ((Hugs)). Hope you get a real and sticky BFP as soon as you are ready!
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards