April 2015 Moms
Options

About to get fired --- seems like discrimination

So my bosses tell me my attendance has not been good (I used my 15 sick/personal days) and asked how many were pregnancy related. I stated about 13. I've had problems.... And fell and got a concussion across the street from my place of employment. Then tells me it maybe be a conflict of interest that I have four children (well this baby makes four and all will be in school except the baby). Either I sign that I will be on an intensive plan for a year or I'll be fired. I feel targeted. I involved my union and haven't heard much since this happened on Thursday. Any advice? I'm looking for another job.

Re: About to get fired --- seems like discrimination

• Options
    Not sure how this would work in relation to your Union agreements, but you should explore FMLA (assuming your job/employer is required to follow that act), you may have been qualified for intermittent leave under that. You will need to talk with someone in HR or your Union steward to see if that applies to your case or if it can be applied after the time was taken. It all needs medical documentation too.
  • Options
    Like pp said I'm not sure if this applies to your place of work, but at my job you can take 8 consecutive days short term disability for pregnancy related complications/illness, and if it's just sporadic days if fml is available to you, excessive absences can be covered by that. Last pregnancy I had morning sickness everyday of my pregnancy, and there were days it was unmanageable and I used fml to cover those absences. I would contact an hr rep and see what options are afforded to you, but you might be stuck bc I know you have to file a claim within 8 days at my job. I'm sorry you are going through this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Look into your state labor laws. I know here in ny as long as it's documented as pregnancy related it becomes much harder for a company to fire you. I would try to get dr notes for those 13 days and see what happens from there. And in the meantime harass your union since they should have your back through this.
  • Options
    Sharon&PaulSharon&Paul member
    edited March 2015
    I too am on my fourth pregnancy and getting a hard time. I have been here almost 10 years and actually have not taken time off for this pregnancy. Their issue is that I said I would not prevent future pregnancies and have taken 4 maternity leaves in 7 years. Though it is illegal for them to discriminate, they do. They try to use other things to cover up what they are doing. I would get some legal advise. If it is a large company like mine they have legal on their side and so should you. I know in the end I just want to leave, but I am going to make it difficult for them to do what they are doing. Keep log of ever verbal and written conversation.
  • Options
    With my first baby I worked for a small company that was male dominant and the two women in the office besides me never had children and didn't understand what I went through or why I couldn't lift heavy objects. I had a note from my dr saying I couldn't lift 40 lb boxes at work (a minor part of my job). By third trimester my boss asked me for another note stating I should be over the hump and able to lift again (wtf?!?) I had planned to give my two week notice in two weeks anyway since I knew it wouldn't be a supportive office of a woman with children. So I put in my two weeks a little earlier. I wouldn't have been allowed the time after birth I needed anyway. It's amazing how horrible some companies can be, I'm sorry you're going through this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"