May 2015 Moms
Options

Side effects due to using Glyburide?

I started glyburide this week to treat my high fasting blood sugar levels. I started having severe symptoms an hour after I take the pill, it includes dizziness, heart racing, pain in my left arm, shortness of breath. I went to labor and delivery and was checked my a dr. who told me that these symptoms are unlikely to be associated with glyburide and that it could be just the pregnancy. Any one having these symptoms? Or anything similar?

Re: Side effects due to using Glyburide?

• Options
    Did you check your blood sugar? Glyburide gave me low blood sugar so they took me off it. I wad in the 60s by the morning. You would think the hospital checked for that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    They checked and it was in the 60s two hours after the pill. But the dr still refused to take me off it and switched me to a morning pill so I could snack throughout the day. Today was my first day but I still experienced the same symptoms although I kept having snacks to raise my blood sugar!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am taking 1.25mg (half a pill), I do not think I can go any lower.
  • Options
    That's frustrating! My non-medical opinion is that you shouldn't be eating more carbs to make up for the meds! That doesn't make sense! I would talk to your doctor again. Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies! I am getting a second opinion this week as this is getting very frusturating. My dr. is not making any sense right now and I'm fed up with her!
  • Options
    meljgmeljg member
    When do you take that dose? I take 1.25 right at bedtime, but I pair it with a sweet treat like a skinny cow ice cream bar or sandwich. My blood sugars and diet are watched weekly by a group of nurses who specifically work with gestational diabetes sufferers and my glyburide doses are adjusted as needed. When I was waking up with wacky fasting levels, they suggested a 30 carb snack at bedtime with the glyburide. I also take 2.5 glyburide 20 minutes before breakfast. If I fail to eat after 20 minutes my blood sugar goes too low and I get all your symptoms. Make sure to eat something within 30 minutes of taking the glyburide. Good luck!
  • Options
    I was told to take it with the bedtime snack which usually consists of some crackers and peanut butter. I have been hearing the ice cream advice a lot, but have been too scared to try it. I will try it tonight and hope that it gives me good control over my symptoms, I would love to be able to have ice cream again. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"