May 2015 Moms
Options

Name Stolen

Megpeg27Megpeg27 member
edited March 2015 in May 2015 Moms
I chose a baby name before finding out whether we were having a boy or girl. (We chose a girl name because we had a feeling). Well a lady I work with, with the same name as I, decided to take that name 8 weeks after I put the gender reveal and name reveal on the board where everyone can see and was constantly talking about! She swears she didn't know, but 8 weeks!! Seriously?! She knew! And her baby is a boy! How would you all feel about this? I'm kind of upset and pissed off. I had it first and we had a discussion about taking other peoples names before either one of us knew... Why go and do the opposite of what you said you would do?! She's on her third, this is my first!

Re: Name Stolen

• Options
    I would be mad, too. Especially if you spoke to her about it. Just name your kid The Best "Whatever name you chose". Then, you win. ;)
  • Options
    I know a woman who was trying to have kids for years. Her and her husband already had names picked out ( a boy and a girl name). Her sister got pregnant right before she did and the sister stole the name that they picked ( they were both having boys). They don't speak to each other anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow that's a frustrating and upsetting situation. But is this person just a coworker or close friend ? If it's just a coworker you don't socialize with outside of work I say just use the name and don't let it bother you. A little over a year ago at my birthday party a bunch of my girlfriends and I (none of whom had kids at the time ) started talking about the baby names we had picked both my best friend and I had the same girls name picked. Well the next month by friend found out she was expecting and it was a little girl so she used the name my husband and I had had picked out for years. I chose not to let it bother me because a name is a name and anyone can use it. At first I told her we were still going to use the name and she was fine with that but then my husband and I changed our minds and found a new name we love ... Now we just have to wait another 7 weeks to see if we need it since we are team green
  • Options
    It's just a name, multiple children have the same name. No one owns the name. I can understand it being fristrating, but it's not the end of the world
  • Options
    Yes I would be upset, I would feel kinda betrayed by the coworker. but that is also a reason people keep names a secret. We didn't even announce our name on Facebook. And we arnt telling anyone the boy name we had picked( we are having a girl this time but love the boy name we chose) I would go ahead and name the baby what you already picked out.
  • Options
    I would stick with the name you decided. First, if she's just a co worker and not like a best friend or relative I don't see any issue with her having a child the same name. If it was one of my close friends, sister or cousin I would probably be much more upset about it.
  • Options
    This almost happened with a friend of mine. She was going to call him by his middle name anyways but really liked the name we picked. She's on baby number 4 and this was our first, so we politely asked her to back down since she wasn't going to use it anyways. I had my name saved for like 4 years.
    I've also had names stolen before by family, we have 2 Violets now in my family. The cousins don't know each other but I'm there cousin so it gets confusing.

But no immediate relation...keep your name lol
  • Options
    saric83saric83 member
    edited March 2015
    I wouldn't care at all. My closest co-worker and his wife like the name we chose after I told them, and now they might also go with it for their kiddo due a few weeks after me. No biggie! No one gets to call dibs on names.
  • Options
    I would care about a close friend or family member but not a coworker. I'm assuming you're not going to work there forever. You'll never remember her again. Stick with your name if you love it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• Options
    I'd still name your baby what you had picked out, she wont be around you or your kid forever! A couple of years ago I had a friend that found out she was pregnant so she decided to name him after her husband. Well, apparently her "wonderful" husband had cheated on her with a close friend of hers who also decided to name her son after the SAME FATHER!!!  As it turns out, the "friend" had her baby before the "Wife" so to this day the mistress tries to say that the WIFE copied the name she had already picked out!!!! So there are two Colby Jace Jr.'s out there with the SAME daddy! CrAzY!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm in the club of.. So what.. Here. It's a coworker, not your new niece or nephew.

Just tell her in passing.. I'm glad you loved the name I also chose. It's been on the top of my list forever.

Then.. Let it go.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You aren't going to work with this coworker forever. Both of you have the right to name the babies what you want. Five years from now one or both of you could easily be elsewhere and who will care that you picked the same name?
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    A stolen name????
    Alert the police, stat.

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

• Options
    Your child will one day go to school or day care and unless you name them some weird out if the norm name you will find other people named that name! I went to school with 4 other Courtney's. Up until I was born it was not a name used really, but that year it was a huge hit.
  • Options
    I totally get why you're upset.  I'd be super steamed, but if that's the what you want to name your child--then I'd name them what you'd picked out to start with!  :) 
  • Options
    Honestly I don't see the point in being upset. Name your child the name you picked. If she says anything to you about it later rip her one IF you're still that bothered.
  • Options
    I don't see a big deal about it. No offense its a coworker. I'd be more upset if it were a family member.
  • Options
    Ugh, I've had the same situation happen to me but it actually is accidental. I picked out the name Ivy. It's not common these days and I was over the moon when we finally agreed on it. My bubble was totally burst when she sent out her baby announcements. :(
  • Options
    I would be upset but I would keep the name I had already chosen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"