May 2015 Moms
Options

Shoulder Dystocia Reoccurance

I had my first child almost two years ago and experienced a horrible shoulder dystocia delivery. It was very traumatic, but thankfully, my doctor knew exactly what to do and after three maneuvers, was able to deliver him. He had no injury (which is very lucky). I, however, got tore up pretty bad and wasn't feeling 'normal' again for 8 weeks. My son was exactly 39 weeks and weighed 7lb 14oz, so he wasn't even very big. I am small-framed at 5'5" and 120 lbs normally. I am now 30 weeks pregnant with my second and am pretty terrified of delivery again. My doctors said they will monitor the baby's growth each week from 36 weeks on to determine her size and they said it will ultimately be up to me to make the decision on a vaginal birth or scheduled c-section. I know there are risks with a c-section, but there are also life-threatening risks with another shoulder dystocia occurring. I would like to avoid a c-section, but I also know how lucky we were that my son was perfectly healthy after the whole ordeal. Did any of you have a shoulder dystocia and then go on to have a subsequent vaginal birth without encountering one? 

Re: Shoulder Dystocia Reoccurance

• Options
    I haven't experienced this personally but I have nursed women who have had second successful deliveries after a shoulder dystocia one. Most of those were VBAC's though as they required emergency ceasarians to deliver their babies. It's possible, but it's a personal choice. If you don't think you can go through with it, due to the tearing you had last time, then there's nothing wrong with a Caesarian. Just be aware that there will still be an incision to heal, but in a more controlled way.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thank you, Rosiethird, do you know if the second baby was bigger than the first or if they did anything differently when preparing/delivering their second to avoid another dystocia?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"