May 2015 Moms
Options

Loss in the family, and coming up on 32 weeks

tonight I lost my step father, the last week has been highly difficult and very stressful as we have all just kinda had to sit around in wait for him to pass.

My question for you all, is how have you dealt with anxiety and depression that comes along with losing a loved one while pregnant? I know they say stress is bad for the baby, and with me being a high risk pregnancy I'm worried. I don't want to make things worse than they already could be.

I have an appointment this coming Tuesday, and I'm for sure going to talking to her about all of this with her then.

Any tips would be helpful.

(Please, no judgement... I'm not sure I can handle it right now.)

Re: Loss in the family, and coming up on 32 weeks

• Options
    All I can suggest is pray and talk to somebody about what's going on. If you need to cry, let it out. Praying for you and your family. Sorry for the loss
  • Options
    Smbx0Smbx0 member
    Thank you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't suffer a loss while pregnant, but I did lose my father 2 months prior to getting pregnant with my son. I was also high risk.

I put every thought in my being into being pregnant, and then when my son was born, I grieved. I don't recommend this. If you were close to your stepfather, go to grief counseling now. If one on one is too much, try a support group. Your local hospital or hospice center will offer them - sometimes for free. If you can face your grief now, you and the baby will be better for it in the long run. I suffered for far too long, as did my son. I can recommend a couple books if you'd like too - but counseling or a support group will be the best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh my goodness, bless you! So sorry for your loss. I definitely recommend going to group therapy to help you deal with this kind of sadness. Losing anyone you love is hard to deal with and especially now with all the pregnancy hormones added to the mix. Here are some "creepy" internet (((hugs)))
  • Options
    Talking with your provider is a great plan - I bet they can recommend a therapist or counselor if you'd like a referral, too.

Peace be with you and the rest of your family.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
  • Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I have never experienced this situation before. I can only suggest to pray and talk to your doctor sooner if you feel you need to. I think talking with your doctor is a great first step. Hopefully your doctor can provide you with some resources during this difficult time. My prayers are with you and your family. May God bring you peace and comfort during this time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So sorry for you loss. I agree with PP about talking to your doctor, also your local hospital may have a grievance group.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss , I completely know what you are going threw as I just lost my father suddenly 6 weeks ago . I talked to my doctor because I was also having trouble sleeping . I also just cry it out some times and talking to my siblings have helped a lot .
  • Options
    I lost my favorite uncle early in my pregnancy and it was really hard. I cried whenever I felt like it, not caring about people seeing me or passing judgement. I found it that being surrounded by family and friends who truly cared was also helpful. I'd agree with talking to your doctor. I'm sorry for your loss and i hope you can get through it. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I also used to think that this baby will have a guardian angel to watch over him or her.
  • Options
    I would echo the above suggestions but also, know that it's totally ok to cry. I would also suggest somethings you know relax you like yoga or meditation tapes or something like that and try and tap into the energy from your baby as much as you can. They will give you strength. But also, make sure you don't bottle it up. Grief needs to be worked through for sure.
  • Options
    So so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my grandmother and then my dog on the day of her viewing. Loss is never easy, but while your pregnant it's harder because you feel you don't want to stress the baby by getting so upset (at least I felt this way) It's ok to grieve, you need that to be able to cope. Just after you cry or vent or however you are grieving just try to take deep breaths and remember you have a beautiful life inside you , depending on mommy to stay strong. Then it's ok to be sad again, it's ok to cry. Talk with family/friends/therapist/whomever. Also try to talk about all the happy moments and memories with your step father. remember his life and love that was brought to your life and know you'll pass that love to your baby. I found yoga helps, chiropractor helps my overall feeling better, as well as acupuncture (I only get arms/legs) my insurance also covers prenatal massages. Take walks, look at happy photos that will make you laugh and smile of your memories with your loved one. I'm praying for your strength and courage and hoping you are able to find peace .
  • Options
    I have no advice, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss!!
  • Options
    I lost my 21 year old sister this past January. I was around 21/22 weeks. All I can say is let yourself cry. Let yourself get upset. Don't hold it in. But when you have done that sit still. And take soothing breathes and focus on the amazing little human growing inside u. My unborn child is the only thing that's keeping me grounded right now. Every little movement is what keeps me ok right now. Surround yourself with family and friends who are positive. But allow yourself to grieve and miss that person. Praying for you!!!
  • Options
    There's some excellent advice in all these comments. Talking to your provider on Tuesday will no doubt give you peace of mind. I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"