May 2015 Moms
Options

prenatal vitamin recommendations?

SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
edited March 2015 in May 2015 Moms
Hi all,

I know this has been covered before but I can't seem to find what I'm searching for with the search bar. For those of you that buy your prenatal vitamins from a drugstore, can you tell me which ones you use and why? I originally had them prescribed by my doc but when I switched insurances/doctors, their price went up astronomically and it's actually cheaper to buy them at a drugstore. Thanks!

Re: prenatal vitamin recommendations?

• Options
    I can't take them anymore, but the vita gummies from babies r us are great and actually taste good too!
  • Options
    I've been taking the one a day brand. I tried a more generic brand in the beginning to save money and they made me sick.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take a whole food prenatal vitamin so my body will absorb more. I have low iron and my body wasn't absorbing the synthetic drug store vitamins as well. I was taking the Nature Made prenatal multi vitamin and now I am taking MegaFood Baby and Me vitamins. I love them!! They are gluten free, non gmo, farm fresh, etc. They have made a huge difference in how I feel. I am also still taking my prescription iron supplement as well. The whole food vitamins are little more expensive but well worth the money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    blankenbakerhblankenbakerh member
    edited March 2015
    I bought my whole food vitamins from a health store. Also these do not make me sick at all! I don't even need to take them with food. I am also not having any constipation problems either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    odawgodawg member
    The one a day brand currently makes me sick. I just switched to it and I will be going back to the gummies from babies r us.
  • Options
    I was told by a doctor that I should only buy generic drugs/vitamins because minerals are minerals and you just end up spending more for a name rather then product. I use target brand
  • Options
    I take Nature Made with DHA...but boy are they pricey! 
  • Options
    I love Target's gummy prenatal vitamins. You get 90 for about $10.00. They have coupons pretty regularly though. Definitely more expensive than the regular vitamins but they taste like candy and don't upset my stomach.
  • Options
    Well sometimes opinions in the medical field do vary.... There is a difference in synthetic vitamins though and whole food vitamins. Min think it just depends on the persons preferences. I have used a lot of whole food vitamins and supplements. I find they make me feel better than synthetic ones because they are easier for the body to break down and absorb. For example your body would most likely absorb more nutrients from the actual vegetable or fruit then a processed synthetic supplement. Thus why I like the whole food vitamins and such. They are not synthetic and made directly from the whole food. A lot of nutritionist and doctors disagree on these view points. Again I think it's just a matter of preference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I tried a bunch in the beginning that made me sick but I ended up with the CVS brand of one-a-days (oddly enough the brand name one made me sick but generic doesn't).. It's a 2-pill one with DHA and it is always on sale 2 for 1!
  • Options
    sb184sb184 member
    I take Rainbow One prenatals. They are food based and have non-constipating iron. I buy mine from CVS
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I'm stopping by CVS today to see what they have from your suggestions. :)
  • Options
    What if you took vitamins then stopped and then you started taking them again?
  • Options
    No if you took them in the beginning and stopped for a few months and started again. that's better for you right?
  • Options
    SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited March 2015

I take Nature Made with DHA...but boy are they pricey! 

I ended up with these! Buy one get one free and a $5 off cvs coupon So they came to $14 for a 4 month supply. Woohoo! My prenatal scrip charged me $53 for 3 months. Should have Just avoided the scrip from the beginning!
  • Options
    Honestly I have been taking the cheap generic brand from walmart since I was pregnant with my daughter. They are cheap and are just as good as all the name brand expensive ones. If you read on the back and compare ingredients they really are the same. If anything as your ob what they recommend.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I do the Rainbow Light daily duo (you can get it on Amazon). You get a bottle of the prenatal one pills and a bottle of the prenatal DHA smart essentials for about $20.
  • Options
    Target brand Up and Up gummies. The pills made me nauseous. The gummies taste great, and have all essential vitamin and minerals needed for baby! Including DHA and folic acid. My OB recommended them.
  • Options
    I've just been getting whatever one Walgreens has a deal on...
  • Options
    I'm taking the generic prenatals now, at the beginning I was taking the one someone mentioned a few posts up about the two pills, one is dha and the other has folic acid (I think) and that made me sick so I tried the gunmies and they taste good and am able to keep them down, but they don't have iron in them (and that came straight from my midwife, I thought "what?! No way" sure enough went home read the label and no iron) but I do know some doctors recommend the gummies and in my opinion, some vitamins are better than none :) but if you are having trouble with iron you may want to look at some of the pill forms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"