Multiples

Identical or fraternal if mono/di ... what'd you have?

8-16 weeks, mine were di/di.  As of 16w, they were mono/di.  I guess the placentas merged sometime between 13-16 weeks?  I get ultrasounds done all the time, lol.  Found out last week at 17w exactly that it's two boys!  :)  I have another US tomorrow with the MFM to confirm.

If yours were mono/di ... what'd ya have, identical or fraternal?  

I realize this in no way, shape or form determines what we may have ... I'm just curious (and bored at work!)

Re: Identical or fraternal if mono/di ... what'd you have?

• I had mono/di and they are identical, they were never seen with seperate placentas.
  • Mine were suspected di/dI but weren't sure because of the placenta. That was until they were born - they are polar opposites ;)
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I had mono/di twins yesterday (preemies at 32 weeks). There is no question these kids are identical. But they also always had the same placenta....
  • Mine are Di Di, c section is scheduled for April 30.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Di/di girls c section 12/24 @ 35/1.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your twins are di-di.  A "fused" placenta is not working like one placenta in a mo-di pregnancy- it is still two placentas (in rare cases there can be some vascular issues).  Can they be identicals being di-di? yes they can, but they can (and are more likely) to be fraternal.  My boys were di-di and are fraternals- could tell right from the first look. Oh and I didn't have a fused placenta- I had an anterior and a posterior placenta.
  • Your twins are di-di.  A "fused" placenta is not working like one placenta in a mo-di pregnancy- it is still two placentas (in rare cases there can be some vascular issues).  Can they be identicals being di-di? yes they can, but they can (and are more likely) to be fraternal.  My boys were di-di and are fraternals- could tell right from the first look. Oh and I didn't have a fused placenta- I had an anterior and a posterior placenta.

You're right!  Went to the MFM today and they're di/di.  Both my regular OB and an US tech (in different offices) called them mono/di my last couple visits.  The MFM will be following me from now on, lol ... 
  • This twin stuff can be so confusing at first. We are having di/di twins, a boy and a girl so we know they are not identical. My doctor said 35% chance of di/di being identical if they are the same sex.
  • I just had my mid way ultrasound on Monday and had no idea i was having Twins until that day.  They are both boths and each have their own sac and placenta does this mean they are di/di?  If so there is still a chance they may be identical ?????  OHHH MY 
  • I just had my mid way ultrasound on Monday and had no idea i was having Twins until that day.  They are both boths and each have their own sac and placenta does this mean they are di/di?  If so there is still a chance they may be identical ?????  OHHH MY 

They could be identical, but most likely fraternal. It all depends on if the fertilized egg split before implantation. 30% they are identical IF they are the same sex.
  • My girls were di-di. Not identicals.
    DS born August 2011
    TWINS are on the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"