3rd Trimester

Unbearable allergies (or how I haven't breathed through my nose in 4 months)

Oh, ladies! Any suggestions for nasal allergy relief, sans medication or herbals? I'm trying to stay away from the OTC allergy meds as I don't want to run the risk of aggravating my BP any further. I've heard local honey and neti pots (with purified water, of course!) are helpful - anything else?

Or if you just want to commiserate with me about how your sinuses are included in all the things that are swelled up, get in here and moan (and sniff, blow your nose, whatever you gotta do).
Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!

Re: Unbearable allergies (or how I haven't breathed through my nose in 4 months)

• Mostly commiseration here! I have to sleep sitting up because of the congestion!

I have tried the Neti pot and it's awesome for allergies and colds, whenever there's something dripping.

But my problem now is just blocked sinuses... nothing comes out. I just picked up some nasal strips and Hydrasense, as recommended by the pharmacist... hope it works... I'll let you know!

• The nasal strips help a little, and I feel you on the sleeping thing. Augh. Everybody be like "oh, you won't sleep when baby gets here," and I daresay I'll start getting MORE sleep when he arrives since I'll be able to breathe and lay still without having to pee every hour.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

• Loading the player...
  • No longer pregnant. DS is 16 months. In regular life I have such bad allergies, I can't ever smell or breathe out of my nose (and had surgery twice for the chronic infections caused by them) I use the neti and the hydrasense. OTC allergies meds have never done anything. My allergies laugh at them. I might as well just drink water - it'd be the same effect. I am, However, on a prescription med. And it is wonderful. It's like I don't have allergies. I'm in Canada, though, so I know availability of meds are different. It's singulaire (I think that's it's name). You could alway talk to your doctor after your pregnancy to see if a prescription is right for you (if allergies persist). I honestly can't believe what a difference it has made. I never thought I'd know what it is like to not have allergy symptoms.

Anyway, guess I'm no real help. But I can relate because I lived like that for about 15 years. I tell everyone about it, because it had made such an impact on me. My sleep has improved (well, aside from having a toddler) because I can breathe through the night. I have more energy because my body isn't spending all it's resources fighting invaders. I don't feel like crap all the time. I'm assuming my voice is less nasal.
  • Ever heard of bee pollin capsules? They are natural allergy relief
  • I haven't been able to breath out of my nose since December. I thought I was getting a cold but I have heard a few women tell me that they had it there whole pregnancy. So I'm thinking it's here to stay. :(
  • I've had this since my second tri. It's not allergies or a cold, just a constant runny nose. I read that it's because all of your open areas/orifices are producing extra...stuff due to hormones.

Not a very scientific explanation but just another joyful pregnancy symptom to deal with.
  • Oh, ladies! Any suggestions for nasal allergy relief, sans medication or herbals? I'm trying to stay away from the OTC allergy meds as I don't want to run the risk of aggravating my BP any further. I've heard local honey and neti pots (with purified water, of course!) are helpful - anything else?

Or if you just want to commiserate with me about how your sinuses are included in all the things that are swelled up, get in here and moan (and sniff, blow your nose, whatever you gotta do).

I had this REALLY bad but thank goodness it has gone away. 

Here's what worked for me: buying an air purifier for my bedroom and keeping it running 24/7 on the allergy setting and buying a vacuum made for allergy sufferers. (Previously I did not have any vaccuum and only swept/swiffers.) I also loved discovering BreatheRight strips which made a big difference at night until I didn't need them anymore. I used Hydrasense, too which only helped a little bit- not dramatically. 

If you do try the local honey I make sure that it's pasturized and keep in mind that would work better if you are having outdoor allergies. Mine were indoors so that's what my advice is based on. 

I'm pretty confident that my purifier and my vaccuum made a HUGE difference but it also could have been timing- maybe it was going to be a pregnancy symptom during that time for me regardless of what I did. Things got so much better after I got the purifier and vaccuum though. My OB said I could use an OTC allergy pill very occasonally but she didn't want me to take one everyday. I only took one once when I stayed at my MIL's for Christmas- she has two cats and I'm very allergic to cats. My allergies were definitely extra bad that night even with the allergy pill. Pregnancy-related for sure!
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I feel ya! I've either had constant congestion and mucus or extreme dryness and stuffiness my whole pregnancy. Same with my first pregnancy too. It's miserable. It's definitely worse at night when I lay down. I run a cool mist humidifier on high at night and I can't sleep without extra strength breathe right strips. It's the only way I get any type of relief. I don't even try medication, because I don't think anything will help since it's pregnancy related.
  • I suffer too.  My allergies laugh at any & all OTC meds.  The breathe right strips do as much as a mickey mouse band aid would.  I've had the heppa vacuum.  It didn't make a difference for me.  I do run a humidifier b/c if I didn't, I'd still be getting nose bleeds every single day.  I've had 2 surgeries over the years also.  They barely have helped.  I get 2 allergy injections every 2 weeks.  I normally take a prescription med & a prescription nasal steroid but being pregnant, I cannot.  IT SUCKS!  I agree w/ the previous poster that said they'd get more sleep once the baby arrives.  I feel the same way.  Sleeping for 30 minute intervals is not good sleep.  People constantly tell me how wrong that it.  It's not like this is my first rodeo.  I have 2 other children.  I know my body & it absolutely hates being pregnant.
  • I have been the same for the last 2 months. Can't sleep well and always wake up with a sore throat from breathing through my mouth. Not fun
  • I feel you. And if my husband complains about my snoring one more time, I will cut out his spleen. Sorry that my inability to breathe is so inconvenient for you!
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • I had sinus crud from Thanksgiving until a week ago. More plugged than anything and nothing was working. 
    Sinus rinse (like a nose squirt bottle) is amazing. It would help for a few hours and then  would be plugged again. 
    PCP recommended flonase. It is safe for pregnancy but didn't help me at all. 
    ENT gave me an antibiotic and it made all the difference in the world. I still have a little bit of the crud but I can sleep through most of the night. 
  • Thank goodness I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. I have been up all night and I can't breathe. Can one of you ladies tell me which nasal strip is safe to use right now?
  • They're all safe - nasal strips aren't medicated. =)

I got the okay for nasal corticosteriods, and conveniently Flonase just started selling OTC! It's helping some, but definitely looking forward to not being puffy everywhere inside and out!

• ldmwldmw member
    I'm not sure if you are open to essential oils, but I've been diffusing equal amounts of lavender and peppermint and it's been helping me open up my nasal passages and breathe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"