December 2014 Moms
Options

2 months and will not nap...

we swaddle,darken the room, white noise, pacifier, and as soon as she goes through 1 30 minute sleep cycle she's crying again. I shouldn't complain because just recently she has become a great nighttime sleeper. She goes down at 8 and wakes at 1:30 then again at 5. We get up at 7am. I was really hoping to get this nap thing under control before I go back to work next week. She is such a grouch all day, you can clearly tell she is still tired even after her cat naps. So frustrating...

Re: 2 months and will not nap...

• Options
    I started a similar thread a few weeks ago, made some changes and now have an 11wk old who naps...
    I follow an eat, play, sleep routine which is roughly 30-40 min eating 20-30 min of play. His sleep length varies from 40 min-2 hrs, and I don't let him go past 3.5 hrs without eating. If I put him down to sleep and after 30 mins we are unsuccessful i.e. crying, cat nap, blowout diaper, etc... I no longer force the nap or spend all day trying to get him to nap. We just start the eat play sleep routine again. He now sleeps 8-10 hrs at night and usually takes 3-4 naps a day. I also shortened the nap time routine and put him down awake when he starts to show signs of being tired.
    I don't think there is one solution, just thought I'd share what has worked for me. I go back to work in a few weeks and it was important that my son could nap, especially when I'm not there.
  • Options
    My LO is 9 weeks today.  What I struggle with is getting her to fall asleep on her own.  When I put her in her crib, she immediately starts crying. So far it's hard to tell what her sleep cues are because one moment she is perfectly fine and awake and the next she's fussy and by that point she is overtired hence the screaming when I put her down. What signs of being tired did your LO show?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago, made some changes and now have an 11wk old who naps...
    I follow an eat, play, sleep routine which is roughly 30-40 min eating 20-30 min of play. His sleep length varies from 40 min-2 hrs, and I don't let him go past 3.5 hrs without eating. If I put him down to sleep and after 30 mins we are unsuccessful i.e. crying, cat nap, blowout diaper, etc... I no longer force the nap or spend all day trying to get him to nap. We just start the eat play sleep routine again. He now sleeps 8-10 hrs at night and usually takes 3-4 naps a day. I also shortened the nap time routine and put him down awake when he starts to show signs of being tired.
    I don't think there is one solution, just thought I'd share what has worked for me. I go back to work in a few weeks and it was important that my son could nap, especially when I'm not there.

My LO is 9 weeks today.  What I struggle with is getting her to fall asleep on her own.  When I put her in her crib, she immediately starts crying. So far it's hard to tell what her sleep cues are because one moment she is perfectly fine and awake and the next she's fussy and by that point she is overtired hence the screaming when I put her down. What signs of being tired did your LO show?
  • Options
    @kerryann25
    My little guys sleep cues vary nap to nap and day to day. Sometimes there's an obvious yawn, but I mostly watch to see if his movements slow down and if he's making less eye contact. I also watch the clock and rarely put him down more than an hour after he started eating. Also, there are times he cries when I put him down. If it's a little fussing I wait 10-15 min before going to comfort him. If he's screaming I'll pick him up, attempt to calm him, and put him back down for another 10-15 min. Like I said previously, if I've tried for 30 min and it's not working I abort the mission :)
    Good luck! I know every baby is different so this may not work for everyone.
  • Options
    I will try this tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Every baby is different,just like every pregnancy is different. Some babies sleep & some don't, some women get morning sickness & some don't. All D14 babies are too young for a set schedule. If your child needs to be held to nap right now, hold them.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    My kid didn't sleep on a schedule until he was 2.5. Kid hates sleep. Try Benadryl.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    Leave DC, nanny, or grandparents to deal with nap time. They are going to have their own techniques anyway. Just enjoy the little tyke while you are still at home.

Test
  • Options
    DreDreM said:

@kerryann25
    My little guys sleep cues vary nap to nap and day to day. Sometimes there's an obvious yawn, but I mostly watch to see if his movements slow down and if he's making less eye contact. I also watch the clock and rarely put him down more than an hour after he started eating. Also, there are times he cries when I put him down. If it's a little fussing I wait 10-15 min before going to comfort him. If he's screaming I'll pick him up, attempt to calm him, and put him back down for another 10-15 min. Like I said previously, if I've tried for 30 min and it's not working I abort the mission :)
    Good luck! I know every baby is different so this may not work for everyone.

So you're basically sleep training, which you're not supposed to do until like 4 months minimum. An 11 week old has no self soothing skills.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I will try this tomorrow!!

Please don't leave your 2 month old to cry for 30 minutes. I'm all for sleep training but our babies are too young.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @drpayne I am not leaving my baby to cry for 30 min, and as I mentioned previously, every baby is different and this may not work for everyone.
  • Options
    My DD does not like naps neither. She has been sleeping like a champ at night since 7 or 8 weeks. 5/6 hrs straight then feed then 3/4 more hours. But after that she's up for the majority of the day. My parents and ILs said she naps no more than 30 mins at a time. I read than 3 month olds should be sleeping 15 hrs a day. But my DD sleeps only about 11 hrs.
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"