Baby Showers

Bbq baby shower etiquette

My little sister is very excited to throw me a baby shower. She wants to throw an all gender inclusive bbq at our parents house instead of a traditional shower, which I thought is a lovely idea. She will likely want a little more planning help then is typical and I don't want to do anything tacky. Has anyone else been to a party like that? Would you consider putting out of town family on the guest list even though it will not be a formal event?

Re: Bbq baby shower etiquette

• It's really up to your host the shower as she deems fit however I am not personally a fan of coed showers. Really though, let your host take the reigns and step back.
  • As far as OOT family goes- depends.  Are they CLOSE (relationship wise) and you make an effort to see them as often as possible?  Or do you see them primarily at events like weddings?  Do you invite them to birthday parties?  Or to other smaller events?

Basically- my point - this is NOT a wedding.  If you aren't particularily close, no, don't invite them.  If they aren't people you'd invite to other parties throughout the year, I wouldn't invite to a shower.

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's a great idea, but that's probably because I thought it would be cool to have for mine if someone suggested it.

Coed or not is up to you. In our family the father and grandfathers are present. But it's not full on coed.

I also agree with only inviting OOT guests that your close with.
  • I love the coed/casual shower idea. This is what I'd want. I'd also be leery of inviting too many out of town friends/family. The close ones that would send a gift anyway or might travel for the shower would be good to invite.

I, personally, moved away from my hometown about 5 years ago. I get invited to a lot of old friends' showers and it makes me feel like they are just asking for gifts. I can't imagine they are really hoping I'll drive 13 hours to attend a 2 hour baby shower.
  • That sounds like a wonderful idea, if i were closer to home that is what i would want :)
  • My SIL is throwing us a coed bbq, which will be at our house. There are tons of great ideas on Pinterest - like guests bringing unwrapped presents and just displaying and eliminating most of the typical shower games. We will prob do a bottle chugging contest (beer or Apple juice) as our only game and keep everything else pretty relaxed so those men and women can enjoy. Also going with a nautical/whale theme so it's not super over the top.
  • My SIL is throwing us a coed bbq, which will be at our house. There are tons of great ideas on Pinterest - like guests bringing unwrapped presents and just displaying and eliminating most of the typical shower games. We will prob do a bottle chugging contest (beer or Apple juice) as our only game and keep everything else pretty relaxed so those men and women can enjoy. Also going with a nautical/whale theme so it's not super over the top.

@babywhaley17 Display showers are not a "great idea." It is tacky and rude to tell your guests how to wrap or not wrap their gifts to you, and more so to send the message that you want them to go ahead and spend the money and time to get you something, but you can't even be bothered to open it. Arguments that this makes it less about the gifts or more casual do not help. Please, if you are having a gift-giving party, take the time to show appreciation for the gifts by opening them in front of the givers.
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    Married: 11/20/10
    Baby #1!
    BFP: 10/2/14 EDD: 6/1/15

January June '15 Siggy Challenge:
    Pinterest Fails

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"