April 2014 Moms
Options

Cutting back on formula?

Dd is only 10 1/2 months, her birthday is at the end of April. This last week she has been drinking way less formula from her bottles. Normally he takes four 7oz bottles. Now she will drink 4-5 oz each time and be done. The only one she drinks all of is her bedtime one. Should I be worried or should I let her cut herself back? She was drinking 28 oz a day and now it's probably 20-24
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cutting back on formula?

• Options
    FTM here, so this is pretty much a guess, but I would let her cut herself back. She might have had a day where she was not so hungry, she consumed more solid foods, or she's just ready for less formula. I'm wondering when my LO will start cutting back!
  • Options
    I was just wondering when my lO will start cutting back.... She's 10 months 1 week and still drinking 30 oz!!!! She takes 5 bottles; 6 oz each! Sometimes she will only take 5 oz but still she's drinking close to 28 oz/day. And she seems to eat a lot of solids too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great article! Mine will not take a sippy cup so I have some work to do! My daughter is drinking less formula. She usually takes 4 bottles ranging from 4-8oz usually on the lower end of that.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that article @kkaew816 ! Lots of good info. LO is nowhere near ready to pull back on the bottle. I'm a little stressed about it.
  • Options
    That article is awesome! We've been self weaning too. She doesn't eat a lot of solids so I started giving her whole milk to make up the difference. I was so ready to be completely done with formula but this transition is making me realize my baby is turning into a toddler and now I wanna cry :((
  • Options
    Sounds a lot like DS.  He still drinks a full 8oz for his first and last bottle of the day but the two in between have gone from 8oz to 4 or 5oz.  He does eat quite a bit of solid food though and drinks a fair bit of water from his cup.  I just assumed he was cutting himself back.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad the article was helpful! I have a ton of 'work' to do apparently! I think I'm going to try and space out her bottles more and have them after meals so she eats more. I can't believe she will be a toddler soon!!!
  • Options
    Thanks! It's nice to know other people's babies are doing the same thing. She eats as much solid food as my 3 year old, so I'll try not to worry

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Great article! We said bye bye to the bottle this week! Whoo hoo! LO will be one on 4/8! He has really cut down on the amount of formula he takes too.
    He went from 4 8 oz sippy cups of formula to 3 and the last one is usually just 5/6 oz.

My question..any one worried their LO won't be getting enough nutrients when we all start whole milk soon? My LO loves his fruit but veggies are harder for him.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    @Katy0525 I'm not concerned as other foods have different nutrients in them.... I do give C veggies twice a day (lunch and dinner). She doesn't like all veggies but I keep offering them; she hated zucchini at first now loves it; now she hates peppers! Just keep offering the veggies in different ways- steamed, roasted, in stir fry, etc. I also read somewhere to offer veggies first before other foods.
  • Options
    Katy0525 said:

Great article! We said bye bye to the bottle this week! Whoo hoo! LO will be one on 4/8! He has really cut down on the amount of formula he takes too.
    He went from 4 8 oz sippy cups of formula to 3 and the last one is usually just 5/6 oz.

My question..any one worried their LO won't be getting enough nutrients when we all start whole milk soon? My LO loves his fruit but veggies are harder for him.

I'm worried. Mine will eat a variety of foods but she eats very little of what we give her. This morning she had maybe three bites of a pancake and then wanted to throw the rest. I gave her other things too but she's more interested in mashing and playing.
  • Options

Katy0525 said:

I'm worried. Mine will eat a variety of foods but she eats very little of what we give her. This morning she had maybe three bites of a pancake and then wanted to throw the rest. I gave her other things too but she's more interested in mashing and playing.
    I'm also worried. Can they have vitamins when they're that young? LO is not a good eater, unless it's shredded cheese or Gerber puff cheesies!
  • Options

Katy0525 said:

I'm also worried. Can they have vitamins when they're that young? LO is not a good eater, unless it's shredded cheese or Gerber puff cheesies!
    I'm not sure. I talked to our pedi at our last appt and they weren't too concerned but that was at 9.5 months. Our next appt isn't until 4/14 so I guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing. I figure if she's hungry she'll let me know. Hopefully.
  • Options
    Good ideas about just offering the veggies first. I am going to mention my concerns to the dr at lo's 12 month appt. I do try to offer a lot of different veggies but if he doesn't eat it, there isn't much I can do. I wonder if they do have some sort of supplements or vitamins.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    I know the goal is the move toward doing all finger foods, but I've been doing a green veggie/fruit purée once a day because he eats those out of a pouch like they're going out of style. Makes me feel better that I know he is getting some veggies, even if not quite in the way I ultimately hope for.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat with fruit and veggies. She will only eat them puréed. I'm trying not to worry about it. I guess she could be a two year still eating purées right? Haha!
  • Options
    My baber eats the hell out of fruits, cheese and most meats but I still struggle with veggies. Unfortunately, I am not a great cook so finding quick ways to get her to eat veggies is a challenge. I too have resorted to pouches because she LOVES them and I have peace of mind knowing she at least got some sweet potato, carrot, green bean, etc, in her.  I try to just warm up the steamable frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, greenbeans, corn, etc) in smaller servings and give those to her first so she eats them and then give her the main course. I usually do fruits for breakfast and lunch and veggies at dinner. We only do a big dinner 2-3 times a week because hubby works nights.  I am a terrible eater so I am trying to work on my own habits so I can lead by example!

• Options
    I also worry that my LO will not be getting enough. She barely eats what we give her. She is all about her formula. We tried to give her milk to see how she would do and she refused it. Hoping she starts eating more solids in the next month.
  • Options

My baber eats the hell out of fruits, cheese and most meats but I still struggle with veggies. Unfortunately, I am not a great cook so finding quick ways to get her to eat veggies is a challenge. I too have resorted to pouches because she LOVES them and I have peace of mind knowing she at least got some sweet potato, carrot, green bean, etc, in her.  I try to just warm up the steamable frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, greenbeans, corn, etc) in smaller servings and give those to her first so she eats them and then give her the main course. I usually do fruits for breakfast and lunch and veggies at dinner. We only do a big dinner 2-3 times a week because hubby works nights.  I am a terrible eater so I am trying to work on my own habits so I can lead by example!

You sound like me! We also only do a real dinner 2-3 times a week.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"