May 2015 Moms
Options

Today is the day I quit my job.

I cannot for the life of me decide what to tell them. The reasoning behind me leaving isn't anyone's business, but I feel I need to give an explanation to them. They have worked with my schedule and allowed me more sick days than they probably wanted to. HR has been good to me for the most part, but my boss is terrible and I guess that's who I dread telling the most.

I'm leaving because since my doctor placed me on high risk I've got to be at their office to have baby and I monitored every single Monday and Thursday until birth. My days off are Tuesday's and Wednesday's which HR just switched me to after a month of asking. My normal OB appointments were on Wednesday so it worked. Now it doesn't. I'm just nervous I guess because I don't want everyone knowing my business and this company loves to tell.

I don't know the point of this post. I guess to vent or get support. I feel so shitty for some reason.

Re: Today is the day I quit my job.

• Options
    You shouldn't feel bad! BUT I know you may want them as a reference in the future.

I'd say something like, "This company has been so invaluable to me with the flexibility and understanding and compassion, and I feel so terrible about it but my dr has now told me I need to request a disability leave, and I just know it's not fair to the company. You deserve a team player who's able to devote 100% to the work, so effective today I'm giving my notice, and if there's anything at all I can do regarding writing up any training manuals or help with looking for my replacement, I'm happy to do whatever I can to make the transition seamless"

This was the line I fed my boss when I quit. He was still kinda rude bc he was definitely blindsided, but later after it sunk in he was very nice and I think he really admired how I handled it. They asked me to work 3 weeks, instead of 2, and I obliged bc I could. And now I have zero concerns about having them as a reference. I know I left on excellent terms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited March 2015
    If you feel the need to explain anything to them just tell them that because your doc considers you high risk, you want to take it easy for your safety and your baby's for the remainder of your pregnancy.
  • Options
    My Dr. requested last week for me to no longer work.  They offered to write me a letter that generalized what was going on, without going into detail.  This way I had something documented in my file at work to avoid any negative marks in my records.

You shouldn't feel terrible about it at all!  Like my family and in-laws have been telling me for the past few weeks, your priority is to do whatever you need to keep your LO healthy and happy!  Your baby and your health is top priority.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad! I agree with other PPs just explain to them your doctor has classified you as high risk and you feel that you can no longer work. Tell them you appreciate all the help and accommodations they have made for you. I am sure they will understand that you and baby are priority.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your support. I called them today to explain the situation a bit and to thank them for all of their help. My boss was surprisingly nice and very thoughtful in her approach to what I told her. My HR department called me and I explained to them why I was leaving and they asked me not to just leave. They asked me to put in a leave of absence instead and come back in July. It seems like they really want me to stay with the company which is a shock seeing as how they don't really care about employees all too much. This company has a very high turn over rate. I'm going to talk face to face with them on Monday. I wasn't planning on going back after baby is born, but maybe something will change.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"