Food & Nutrition
Options

Cream of Wheat for 4 month old?

Hi all the dr said we have the all clear to start feeding the little one food all he said was no cow milk and no honey. I have been giving the little on cream of wheat for breakfast has anyone else done this? im getting flack from my friends that i should be feeding rice cereal but my dr said that it is nutritionally void and that i should feed him oatmeal i figured cream of wheat was the same. Does anyone else feel the same or am i by myself with the dr?

Re: Cream of Wheat for 4 month old?

• Options
    Four months old is early for any type of solids, I didn't start until 6 months.  But when I did I started with single grain oatmeal.  I didn't do rice because my concern about arsenic.
  • Options
    My 10m has tried it but I didn't start solids until after 6/7m. I started with avocado and fruit. Can he sit up on his own? 4m is too young...IMO
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    FOUR MONTHS IS TOO EARLY. Baby's guts aren't even fully closed by then.
    Even if they were -- ANY grain before 18-24 months is way too hard for baby to digest. Yikes.
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Options
    Eesh. Cream of wheat is too much for MY stomach, much less a 4 month old. Is it working for him, is he digesting it OK? I only have a 6 week old, but this is my fourth, and I haven't had a baby in 8 years. I fed my previous 3 rice cereal at 5 months, but didn't really think about nutritional value then. I plan on starting my LO now on solids when he's around 5-6 months. Not sure what I'm going to start with though. 
  • Options
    htk1113htk1113 member
    We started our son with mashed bananas at 4.5 months old.  Just a few bites here and there.   

I never went the rice cereal route because like your Ped said its empty calories and not very nutritional.  I don't know if cream of wheat is much better than rice cereal, nutritionally speaking, but if you thin it out enough I don't think it would cause a digestion problem for your lo.
  • Options
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • Options
    The more I've learned about grains and the digestive system it is becoming more clear that oatmeal or cream of wheat is too difficult for a baby (4 months old) to properly digest. Digestion takes up majority of our energy. I think it is important to not stress a baby's digestive system because so much is going on in the beginning stages of life for growth and development. For example, I wouldn't want to take energy away from brain development that day to focus on breaking down cream of wheat. Just a thought. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"