June 2015 Moms
Options

Epidural vs no epidural

This is my first pregnancy, so I don't know what to expect in the delivery room, but I do want to have this baby without an epidural. Everyone keeps telling me I'm going to need one and that I'm crazy for not wanting to get one. I don't want one because I don't like the way that medicine makes me feel. And I have never been the one to take medicines for my migraines. Anyways just basically want opinions! Thanks

Re: Epidural vs no epidural

• Options
    finchfeeder80finchfeeder80 member
    edited February 2015
    There was a hugely active thread on this very topic recently. You should sesrch for it, there was all kinds of great information and dialogue there.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    You do whatever you feel comfortable with. I didnt get one with my first because I just didnt feel comfortable with it. Now I will tell you i did end up asking for one after about the 13th hour of labor but by that time the doctor told me i was too far along to be able to have one and within two hours my baby girl came out :)  
    My only advice is (unless there is a medical reason and you need it) not to get pitocin if you are not planning on getting the epidural, as it usually makes your contractions harder and closer together. They did give it to me after she came out tho to help the placenta come out.

Research and talk to your doctor as well of course , every pregnancy is different and you never know how long your labor will be until its over and done with.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I suggest you keep your opinions open. If you have a general idea of how you want your delivery to go and nothing set in stone, then if things change during the delivery you won't feel like you failed in some way. Everyone's delivery is different and it's different every time. Its unique to you, so go with what you feel is right but keep your options open.
    I personally did not want to have an epidural, but ended up having one because my love you extremely painful. Turned out I had an abruption that turned into an emergency C-section. I was glad I was flexible in birth plan otherwise I would have been put under with anesthesia instead of being awake for the birth
  • Options
    The way I see it, I've never given birth before so I have no idea how painful it will be and how I will cope with the pain. Even if I had given birth before, the pain level can vary between births due to things like the baby's position. So I'm not saying I will definitely get the epidural but I am open to the idea that I might need it. There are some downsides of an epidural but there are some major benefits too - for example being able to get some rest during labour so that I don't start my first few days as a mother being completely exhausted, or as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if something goes wrong and I need an emergency c section, at least the epidural is already in so there's less of a delay.
  • Options
    A friend of mine went in with the intention of no epidural and no c section. Had her mind set. She ended up having an epidural cause she couldn't handle the pain, then ended up having a c section cause she wouldn't dilate.. Made it to 3 cm and wouldn't go anymore so the baby started to stress so to speak. Her sister went in to have her baby with the no epidural plan, ended up having one. And had to have the forceps to get baby out. So I'm going in with no reservations about anything. I'll take what I can take, if it's too much I'll get an epidural, if a c section has to happen it has to happen. Whatever I can do to make this LO come into this world healthy and okay I'll do it.
  • Options
    This might not be a popular opinion but, to be honest, you have to be really, really committed to go med free. Labour is super painful and I don't know anyone who has gone in without a specific plan that has not had an epidural (unless it wasn't an option). In my opinion, let's see = epidural.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ngaines27 said:

Epidural=miracle drug. The end.

This!
  • Options

This might not be a popular opinion but, to be honest, you have to be really, really committed to go med free. Labour is super painful and I don't know anyone who has gone in without a specific plan that has not had an epidural (unless it wasn't an option). In my opinion, let's see = epidural.

Yeah, that's the way it seems to me too. I would love to have an epidural-free birth. But in reality, I imagine the only way that's going to happen is if I show up at the hospital and it's already "go" time.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options

I have found this as well (with friends, etc.). And it's really more than just really committing to it in your mind, you really seem to have to have done a lot of prep work.

I initially wanted to go with a birth center so it wasn't an option - except transferring to the hospital just to get an epidural would make me feel so wussy, so I decided just to go to the hospital to start!
  • Options
    I had an epidural with DS and seriously LOVED everything about L&D. I never had plans to go without because I don't do pain well. My friend with older kids told me she had her first without the epidural because she wanted everything natural. When she had her 2nd she opted for the epidural (having known what to expect with pain). She swears the epidural was the best because she could enjoy the whole birth.
  • Options
    Read Ina May Gaskin....Guide to Childbirth. Wish I would've been more educated with my first so many years ago.....
  • Options
    There is also a good Natural Birth board on TB, which could have some good resources for you. 
    I just started the hypnobabies series and am really excited about it. Instead of going in with a "let's see" attitude, it gives you proactive techniques. I would definitely read, research and listen to their free downloads, because I'm sure it's not for everyone. 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    What many others have said: do what you are comfortable with, but leave your options open just in case.
    I had an epidural with my daughter, and it was amazing. BUT this time I am going to try to go without it. Not because I had any bad aftereffects, but because I want to try to experience an all-natural birth.
  • Options
    I had no epi with my first and I plan on not having one this time but...I am open to having one if things get crazy.
  • Options
    Ive done both. 

im all for a drug free birth cause it feels better aftewards.

everyones pain tolerance is different and I wouldnt suggest forcing yourself beyond what you can handle.
    Momma to Garrett (8) Makenna (4) Jordynn (3) & Madilynn (2)

Soon to be Momma to Elliott ( 06.04.15 or sooner)
  • Options
    I had my heart set on nothing more than an IV and I did it! Nothing in my back. I felt it all, screamed (& didn't have much of a voice for 2 days) and I wouldn't take it back for the world. I hope things go about the same with this one! I did once, I will do it again. Although, I do have to say I have a very high pain tolerance... I have had scoliosis for 12 years now as well as having a major surgery on my leg (metal from my hip to ankle) and only taking 1/2 the pain killers they told me to take for a week vs the month they prescribed them.

My point is, it is possible! If things don't go well and I HAVE to have one, I'll do it for the sake of my baby but my heart is still set on doing it with nothing.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    R87R87 member
    You won't know until you're in labor to make the decision. I wanted to try without one with my first and after 4 hours of back labor I couldn't take the pain anymore.
  • Options
    Just to correct a pp, epidurals most all contain fentanyl, which is indeed a narcotic... The other part is the anesthetic/numbing agent. However, don't have your mind set on anything or go in with a birth plan and insist it must be followed, sadly these are most of the patients that end up in c-sections (no kidding), some docs won't look at them. If you insist on more natural birth I suggest you go to a real "birthing center" vs a hospital, good luck!
  • Options
    I planned on no epidural with my first but ended up getting one because the nurses started telling me he was breech (when he wasn't). Overall I was not satisfied with my L&D, I wasn't induced but the doctor did break my bag of waters, I reluctantly got pain meds and an epidural, and couldn't feel my contractions at all when it came time to push so I gave up and asked for a vacuum assist. This go round I am going to be more assertive and limit intervention unless it's absolutely necessary! Delivering a baby without an epidural is entirely possible because yes, our bodies were designed to do this, and the pain is part of the process. Whatever you decide, don't be scared and embrace the experience!
  • Options
    HayesRN13 said:

Just to correct a pp, epidurals most all contain fentanyl, which is indeed a narcotic... The other part is the anesthetic/numbing agent. However, don't have your mind set on anything or go in with a birth plan and insist it must be followed, sadly these are most of the patients that end up in c-sections (no kidding), some docs won't look at them. If you insist on more natural birth I suggest you go to a real "birthing center" vs a hospital, good luck!

Are you saying that patients with birth plans are more likely to have c-sections? Why? Are you basing this off of knowledge from friends and family, professional experience, research? Sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just not something I've heard of before.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    This thread seems really unsupportive of the OP. Having a med free labor is totally reasonable and absolutely how nature intended. If you are interested in midwifery care, they're more open to discussing those things a lot of the time. I'm not saying there isn't the chance of complications requiring intervention, I just think that l&d is treated too much like an illness or injury. It's not. It hurts, and requires medical care to be safe, but it's natural. No reason that it can't be that way for the majority of women. Don't listen to the unsupportive people in your life, OP. If it's what you want, you absolutely can go med free. I personally did, and while it was intense, I never ever regretted it or wanted to change my mind. Not even during transition. Epidurals are great for some people but can also cause complications that wouldn't arise as often normally.
  • Options
    I did natural birth for all three of my pregnancies. It was painful but I managed. I'm not against using epidural but if I can go without I'd rather not use it. But with this pregnancy if I need it I will ask for it. every pregnancy is different so just know things won't always go as plan.
  • Options
    A good friend had her baby this morning!! We both wanted med-free birth, and were concerned this was a FTM's dream that wasn't really possible.

She said she was pain med free, had oxytocin toward the end (10 hours total) to encourage "better contractions" and is walking on air. Lots of stitches but said it was all waaaay better, easier, and a "higher high" than she could have ever imagined.

Just a positive story to add to the mix. I find it really comforting. Essentially her message is, you are so happy with the baby in your arms that you don't even really notice all the scary things that are happening and that others (esp prego FTMs like me and, til yesterday, her!) seem to focus on.
  • Options
    I hate when when people say that getting an epidural is cheating labor and that's not true u still feel the pressure it just the pain is lessened...and for someone like me who has a low pain tolerance I'll take what I can get! Lol

• Options
    I was induced with Pitocin and I didn't want to get an epidural. After about 14hrs I gain in because the contractions were so fast that I really didn't feel like I had time to breathe. I was afraid I would pass out or something. They gave me the epidural and it slowed down my labor a lot! I was overly numb because I couldn't feel where the pressure was from the baby's head and ended up pushing for nearly 3hrs!!!! The doctor wanted to perform a c-section because I was taking to long to push the baby out (not because there was any medical need). So, my labor totaled 22hrs. Looking back I wish I waited a little longer instead of getting induced 2 days after my due date. I did not know that the pitocin would affect my contractions in such a way. This time I do not want to get an epidural. Also, I did not like that after giving birth I couldn't even stand and hold my new baby because my legs were still numb. I felt as if I didn't have any physical control in the situation, and that was the last feeling I wanted to have as a new mom. I'm really hoping for a faster natural birth this time around.
  • Options
    I'm probably planning on an epidural. But I'm also going in with the mindset even if I end up having a CSection I won't be disappointed. I just want to have a baby that is healthy and anyway I deliver is fine with me.
  • Options
    Kona- just my experience, I hope this didn't come off wrong, my main point is if opting for drug free natural child birth, birthing centers and using a midwife... how do I say... Are more supportive? I hate to say that because of course it's not all true there are many great hospital OBs, but overall if you have a lengthy birthplan and set on certain things, you will have a better experience at a birthing center. That's not to say you can't at a hospital at all, we deliver a lot of patients unmedicated (but mostly because they come in too late) :)
  • Options
    I had just had and air with my first.

I decided to have an epidural with my second. I thought it
    Would be much better but it wasn't.

With my third I had just had and air.

My worst birth was my second with the epidural. It took longer , my contractions stopped for ages after I had had it and i wasn't dialating. I was stuck on a bed on my back for ages while continually being examined by loads of different doctors and midwifes. They took blood from my babies head before he was born. He was born ok in the end but they stuck a hat on him before I was allowed to look at him. He looked awful.

No way would I ever have an epidural again. I'm not against people having them but they are not the answer to everything.

I'm planning my fourth in June to be a home birth with just gas and air, fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"