April 2015 Moms
Options

No breastmilk

I never contemplated NOT breastfeeding. My mom always talked it up as this amazing thing. And, honestly, the few times I've gotten baby to latch, it feels pretty fantastic. The problem is that I have no milk coming in. None. The new theory is that a small piece of my placenta was left behind in my uterus, preventing my milk from coming in. If that's the case, then I will have to have a d & c to get the tissue out, and even then I may still have major problems with my supply. I would do anything to get my milk going. I'm currently taking an extra iron supplement, a Mother's Milk supplement and Reglan, and still nothing. STMs, have any of you been through this? I never even considered giving Will formula, and I haven't budgeted for it. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's distressing.

Re: No breastmilk

• Options
    I never had any with my first. Tried for over a week, including pumping and the absolute max I ever got was 5mL! No one believed me except the doc/pediatrician. I did end up having to put DD on formula due to weight loss. It got me so frustrated I didn't even attempt with DS and probably won't this time either. Keep your head up, there may be nothing you can do about it, sometimes it just happens.
  • Options
    How much you can pump is not an accurate way to measure how much you produce. Just throwing that out there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this stress. I hope your milk comes in soon. When I was getting towards the end of my milk supply with DD I tried Mothers Milk tea and Fenugreek supplements. Hopefully you find something that works for you.
  • Options
    Oh no! I'm so terrified of placenta being left behind. I have no experience but I'll pray for you that it all gets figured out soon! I'm sure it's very upsetting and frustrating. Stay positive!
  • Options
    Have no experience with this; I can only imagine how frustrating it would be. I remember from previous threads about breast feeding, mothers who were unable to do so, stressed the importance of going easy on yourself.

My friend would have milk from a bank in a pouch taped to her shoulder, there was then a tiny tube that she would tape on to her nipple. Her son would latch and feed. Could be done with formula as well.

FX for a positive outcome.
  • Options
    No experience with this either, but I know lots of moms in my moms' group had success with fenugreek. I've also heard that beer and/or lactation cookies can be helpful. Best of luck to you. Try not to stress too much because stress can affect supply. Just know that this is not your fault. In the end, the most important thing is that your baby is fed - no matter how that is accomplished. Giving formula does not make you a bad mom!
  • Options
    I had this same problem with my DD. We never did figure out why, the LC finally came to the conclusion that I just "didn't have enough breast tissue". Things I would suggest: talk to your OB, regular pumping (20 min/side) after each feed (min 8 times/day), Fenugreek (3 pills, 3 times/day), Blessed Thistle (3 pills, 3 times/day), Raglan/Domperidone (require an RX), lots of galactagogues (e.g. oatmeal, brewers yeast, lactation cookies), see a LC for advice and weighed feeds.

The tube that was mentioned is an SNS system. I never did make enough milk, but SNS'd for 6 months. I had formula in a special bottle, then a tube attached to my nipple. This way she was able to nurse and get all the BM she could, but also got enough food overall from the supplement of the formula. At first I just used a plastic syringe with a feeding tube attached (provided by the LC), but got a couple of these once we found it would have to be a more long-term solution (https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns)

DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF! Stress and blame will only make you feel worse. There are SO many ads out there that talk about how BF is best. However, there are also some new studies coming out now that are proving that is has more to do with how the kids are raised, than how they are fed. The important part is that your baby is happy, healthy, and gaining weight!

Let me know if you have any questions - I have been down that road, and know how hard it is. Good luck!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since July 2010
    July 2011: Referred to RE, started Letrozole
    August 2011: BFP #1! M/C @ 5wks
    September 2011 - September 2012: test, after test, after test... S/A, HCG, B/W... Diagnosis: unexplained infertility. Letrozole, Metformin... nothing.
    September 2012: Diagnosed gluten intolerance; now living strict GF diet.
    November 2012: BFP #2! MM/C @ 6wks (discovered at 8wks). 2 rounds of Misoprostal - nothing. D&C December 2012.
    May 2013: BFP #3! Hoping this one sticks! 4x prometrium/day EDD: 01/25/14
    06/03/13: 1st u/s We have a heartbeat! Team green!
    01/24/14: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    08/05/14: Surprise BFP #4! (Unmedicated, no pp period, EDD unknown)
    08/15/14: 1 u/s We have a heartbeat! Measured 6wks 2 days. EDD 04/08/15. Team green!
    04/08/15: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    03/29/16: BFP #5! (Unmedicated, 1 cycle TTC) EDD: 11/09/16

• Options
    I had a fairly traumatic birth with our first. My milk was seriously delayed. I realize it is not ideal, but what worked for me over time was exclusive pumping. Tried nursing for the first 8 weeks and it just never came together, despite lots of help and support (even home visits) with an LC. Our baby was readmitted to the hospital because she had lost so much weight. Obviously, we needed a new plan. I never got to 100% BM, but baby got 50-75% BM daily and we supplemented with formula. It is not always easy. Whatever you need to do that is best for you and your baby is the right answer. I am sorry you are struggling. I know how frustrating this can be.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    I would like to add that you do not have to feel pressured to do all of the things that can improve supply. I tried it all and found that it was taking up so much of my time and causing so much stress that it was counterproductive. At a minimum, just keep your water up, eat well and pump regularly. As for the SNS, we tried it but it was not for us. Honestly, it made me feel so much worse about not being able to nurse. Point is that there are lots of options out there. Try whatever you like, but you need to stick with what works for you.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    My milk came to full supply at 13 weeks with My daughter but I nursed, supplemented and pumped after every feeding. I also took golacta (avail online). It was a lot of work and super stressful. I ended up nursing until 17 mos when she self weaned. Good luck and hugs.
  • Options
    No experience with placenta, but I had a child w a tight frenulum that would not latch, and I went through hell to try and get her to latch, so at the beginning I exclusively pumped, but my supply plummeted which was extremely disheartening and very easy to take personally! I ended up supplementing til about 7 months when I was getting about an ounce per pump! Like other posters said, most important thing is to feed your baby! Don't beat yourself up, and try not to take it personally. Hang in there, you have had enough challenges!
  • Options
    I had more trouble with my first latching. So I pumped as long as I could but needed to supplement with formula. After returning to work I ended up switching to strictly formula because I just wasn't getting enough when pumping. My son is 2 1/2 now and he ended up being mostly formula fed. He is ahead of where he needs to be with development and is a happy healthy little guy. I never tried any pills or anything so no experience there. I hope you find something that works for you but there is nothing wrong with formula if you need to supplement/switch. You do what you can and should never blame yourself for something you can't control.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"