Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

1 year old and no more formula-what to eat and how much?

My baby girl just turned 1 and I talked with her doctor about stopping the formula, and I am so nervous that she will not get enough to eat! Can you lovely mama's help me out and tell me what your 12 month olds eat/ate, and what a typical day of food looks like? I need very specific examples! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks? I think I know how much to give her, she is a great eater and loves all foods, but I am a first time Mom and nervous! Thanks in advance!

Re: 1 year old and no more formula-what to eat and how much?

• rspalding001rspalding001 member
    edited February 2015
    If you think you know how much to give her and she is a great eater then it shouldn't be too difficult. You will replace formula with whole milk, 16-20ozs of dairy is what is recommended a day. Other than that just try everything: bananas, pancakes, French toast, pasta, fruit, cheese, yogurt, avacado, beans, cherry tomatoes, dry cereal, fish sticks, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, chicken nuggets, meatballs ( theses are all my go-to's). Basically anything you eat she can try to eat at this point as long as you cut it up into the right size for her. Check out meal plans for 1 year olds on Pinterest, it's full of ideas.
  • Thank you very much!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My 14 month old switched from formula to milk right at 12 months. She drinks about 16 oz. of milk a day, and has 3 meals/2 snacks a day.

Today she had:

Breakfast - 1/2 a Cinnamon Raisan bagel with cream cheese
    Snack # 1 - Bran bar with blueberries
    Lunch - Buttermilk pancakes and bananas
    Snack # 2 - Strawberries and cheese
    Dinner - Beef-a-roni - before she ate that, I gave her sweet pea pods to take apart and eat while I cooked dinner.
  • Thank you!! I really appreciate all the ideas!
  • Thank you for posting this... I have a little less than 2 months until my LO is 12 months and I was getting nervous about stopping formula. These are very helpful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are over-thinking this. The saying "toddlers live on air" is pretty accurate. Deep breaths. Offer your LO options & let them decide. They will eat until they are satisfied then play with it. ;)

Our loose schedule/diet plan looks like this:

Breakfast:
    Eggy cups with bell pepper & sausage
    Oatmeal (a fourth of a cup)
    Blueberries
    Toast with ghee (clarified butter)

Lunch:
    Veggie of choice (corn, peas, green beans)
    Protein (roughly the size of baby's fist) cut into straws/strips. Chicken, carnitas or tofu
    Strawberries or melon

Dinner:
    Pasta or potatoes diced up
    Veggie (kale, tomatoes or another) cut into strips
    Meat (usually meatloaf mini "muffins" or dark leg/thigh meat-- duck, or chicken)

Snacks throughout the day:
    Berries/fruit
    Cheerios
    Pretzels
    Veggie straws
    Yogurt
    Cheese

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Just offer her what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For snacks, I would offer cheese, crackers, yogurt, applesauce, fruit etc. Some days she may eat a lot other days it may be 1-2 bites and that's completely normal. She will let you know when she is hungry. And milk isn't necessary either. If she likes it, offer it to her but if not, you can substitute other foods such as yogurt, smoothies (made from milk), leafy green veggies (kale, greens, broccoli), cheese are some examples.

It's also okay if she is still on formula past 12 months. My daughter was on until 14 months. I gave it to her until it was all gone. After a year, I kept it to only morning and evening time.
  • My baby kept grabbing what I was eating out of my hands and started refusing to eat purées so we went with it. It gets me to eat healthier knowing that he will grab what I'm eating. He especially likes blueberry waffles, baked apples, fajitas. Tortillas and guacamole (I try to shred them for him into little pieces but this us something he was grabbing out of my hands) meatballs, organic chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, cheese and crackers, sweet potato fries, banana bread/muffins, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"