Formula Feeding

Baby throws up only when dad feeds him

My son is almost a month old and recently started on formula because of difficulties keeping up with breastfeeding/pumping. He started off fine with the Similac, but recently, he's taken to throwing up when my boyfriend(his dad) feeds him. He doesn't throw up at all when I feed him, but occasionally he'll hiccup after a burp and spit up a tiny bit of formula. Like, a very small amount. My boyfriend is adamant that our son is either allergic to the formula or he needs a different type/brand. I told him it's probably because of the way he holds the baby, even though he does try to keep our son propped up while feeding him. Sometimes he'll zone out a little and let the baby sort of slouch while feeding. I think that's the problem, but I'm not really sure. I can't call the pediatrician until Monday, and I'm sort of stressed out/at my wit's end. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this issue? Could it just be the way my boyfriend holds/burps the baby? Could it possibly be the formula? Or could it maybe be acid reflux? My boyfriend suffers from acid reflux, and I have noticed on occasion that our son gets this hiccup-y, watery sound when he's trying to burp, and even after he burps. Sometimes it'll cause him to spit up a little when I feed him, but other times he's fine with no spit up. I could use some advice please.

Re: Baby throws up only when dad feeds him

• edited February 2015
    I'm pretty sure it's either feeding the baby too fast, slouching him or not burping him properly. Watch what he does while and after feeding and correct him if you see issues.
  • Well, we saw the pediatrician on Saturday morning around 11:30 because baby spent all morning(from about midnight to almost 8:30 am) feeding, then throwing up. Didn't matter who fed him. So we took him in and the doctor said he's 100% healthy, but may have a sensitivity to lactose and/or reflux. So now he's on Similac Sensitive and Zantac for the reflux. He's also on Pedialtye for the vomiting, and needs water with Karo syrup for constipation. I feel so bad for my poor baby. :( He managed to get through most of Sunday without vomiting. He only did that 2 or 3 times, and it was every 3rd or 4th feeding. I'm hoping that the Zantac and Similac switch helps, and I'm hoping he doesn't get too constipated. He's gone 48 hours without a BM and it worries me. We have an appointment with the pediatrician again on the 10th, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can tell him things are getting better instead of worse now that baby is on medication.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know my husband has always felt awkward feeding our kids in his arms. He has had great luck propping them up in the boppy on his lap so they are facing him. Most guys can sit with one of their feet on their other knee so the boppy sits high enough. I think having the baby sit right in front of him helps him pay attention to how he is eating (too fast, correct position, bottle properly positioned, etc) maybe that could work for you guys too?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"