May 2014 Moms

Dropcam baby monitor users - has it helped you with sleep issues?

We just got a dropcam from Amazon to use as a baby monitor instead of our crappy audio monitor, and we are using the cloud trial to watch the archived footage of DS sleeping. It's cool to be able to look back and see when he stirs during sleep using the activity monitor feature, since we are having a lot of sleep issues right now. One things I notice is that as the night progresses, he is tossing and turning more and more. During his naps and in the beginning of the night, he moves rarely - he's still for maybe 40 minutes, then moves around a few times over the next 10 minutes, then doesn't move for another 40 or so. In the morning (starting at 4AM or so, after 2 feedings already at 11 or midnight and 3AM), he really tosses about and can't get settled. Not trying to get all big brother on the poor kid, but we are desperate to help him sleep better. In spite of putting himself to sleep, he still wakes many times per night. We try to pat him back down but it doesn't usually work after midnight. Anyway, just curious if other dropcam (or similar) users have noticed that their LOs tend to get really active/restless in the early morning, or if this is a symptom of whatever sleep issue we're having.

Re: Dropcam baby monitor users - has it helped you with sleep issues?

• The still for 40, moving for 10 is a sleep cycle thing and totally normal. The 4am and beyond thing sounds normal too...at least that's what I do ;)

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I really like the Dropcam as a baby monitor, but I find it a bit unpleasant to just a put an intrusive unfriendly camera in my baby’s room. Would be great if there were a more friendly version of the Drocpam.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with Junebug.   My guy is also on a 40 minute sleep cycle, and is more likely to wake at that interval.   I also recently read that between 4-6 am is when babies have their lightest sleep.  So, if they are dealing with teething pain or are uncomfortable from a dirty diaper, etc.,  they are less likely to be able to sleep through it. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Wow, makes me feel better to hear others experiencing the same thing we are. My LO seems to start tossing and turning around 3-4, waking every hour after that it seems. Hoping they grow out of it soon.
  • khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited March 2015
    My son at nine month now has always been a wild sleeper since birth. I setup the camera to connect live video streaming onto my iPad setup by an app...works great! I place the iPad on a mini tripod stand on my night table and leave it on all night long. So when I wake at random times I can quickly watch him to see if he is alright and breathing. Also I can do a time lapse from the night before, or previous days, or even months on his sleep pattern. What helps for my LO is a good sound machine and leave it on all night. I used the sound machine consistantly when I am ready to lay LO in crib. What helps is keeping a strict routine as far as feeding, bath to sleep time, etc. my LO learned to stay alseep over time but it took this mama to put in the dedicated time and effort to keep the routine consistant as possible. Babies who are restless at night maybe be overwelmed by daytime activities...this maybe true for older babies who are more mobile and determine. My LO is not a perfect sleeper but he sleeps a good 10 hours most night. Sleep comes in waves especially if my LO has a nasty cold or going through teething. It is normal for babies to toss and turn as he/she gets older...my neice at 2 y/o is a crazy sleeper and hangs half her body off the bed, ha!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"