July 2015 Moms
Options

Runner moms

So I took off running mid January before I was pregnant and up until taking a break I was doing 100 to 120 miles a month. I called doctor she said she's all for me starting again since I was such an avid runner. Any mom's ever experience taking a break and then returning during pregnancy? How did it go? First run is tomorrow morning... before I was a speed demon so I definitely don't expect to be now obviously. Just to get out again and be active..

Re: Runner moms

• Options
    Because it gets so cold in MD in the winter I usually take a break from running then but I went down to Florida and ran after a few weeks of not running...I felt really slow and a little more winded but pushed through and got my usual mileage in of 3 miles. After running 2 days my hips were REALLY sore and walking was even difficult (which never happens, no matter how long my running breaks used to be) so my advice would be just to take it easy at first, let your body tell you your pace and length, and definitely stretch. Also, my spinning instructor who taught spinning while pregnant was instructed to keep her heart rate under 160 so I would shoot for that as well...Good luck and happy running!
    I can't wait for warm weather to get back out on the road again :)
  • Options
    I say the same as above. I stopped running and started walking in Oct when we found out too, even though my OB told me "there's nothing you can do with running that will harm your pregnancy". I got bored with walking and tried to pick up the pace again and boy did I regret it! My uterus and hips were so sore! I figured I'll have to suck it up and walk for the duration and pick up my running schedule after the baby gets here. I can't wait to take my LO on runs. I've already purchased us an awesome running stroller!
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was so exhausted my first trimester that I stopped all together. I had a runDisney 10k in January that I signed up for way before getting pregnant, I walked the entire thing and got my slowest time ever. I haven't done anything since then, I can't seem to get myself motivated. Trying to find enough energy to get up in the mornings and at least walk a couple miles.
  • Options
    AmommyBAmommyB member
    edited March 2015
    I stopped for the 1st trimester too because of my nausea. I tried to start running but it felt so weird, my center of gravity is off and I'm not comfortable doing it. I'm just going to be a wimp and do the elliptical, spin and weight training until baby comes. I did register for a sweet jogging stroller so am excited about that. :)
  • Options
    Been an obsessed runner for years, and made sure I could keep it up BEFORE deciding whether or not to get pregnant, and since it was a go, I went ahead and allowed myself to get knocked up. Running was fine up to about 13 weeks, able to maintain all my distance and speed (7:30 average pace-10-13 mile runs) up to that point. But after when I started to finally get ligament pain, the pressure in my UT was so bad and my lungs not as capable, I slowly began to fade into normalcy with 8:30-9:00 minute miles with (eek) walk breaks.

Experiencing such a drastic drop in performance has been extremely difficult, but I'm just glad to be able to keep moving and at least maintaining the same distance, just much slower.

I'd be prepared for a major adjustment to anything you were used to if your body reacts anything like mine does.
  • Options
    I would like to consider myself a "runner". I am running (and probably walking lol) a half marathon this weekend. I too struggled greatly in my training first trimester, but running again made me feel SO much better. Literally the ONLY thing I struggle with is having to pee! OMG I have to pee so soon after I start, but I went after a couple of miles and then did 4 more and felt wonderful. (my knee got injured so I stopped my run). I don't run fast what so ever. Between 10:30-11:30 minute miles pre-pregnancy. I am shooting for a slower 13 minute mile pace this weekend because that's where I feel most comfortable breathing and not closely feeling like I am "overdoing it". Honestly with how much running you were doing before, I think you'll be fine! It might take a couple runs for you to catch your groove again, but I think you'll be good :). Just listen to your body and if you're feeling weird, stop and walk. Give it time to ease back in to it. It's healthy for you and healthy for baby! Good luck on your run!
  • Options
    Used to run 4-5 miles per day and took a little break after a surgery I had. Would run here and there not really skipping a beat if I hadn't run for a while but trying to jog in the second trimester was a joke. It felt so different. Jogging with extra weight just felt awkward and with everything getting pushed up I felt winded pretty quickly. Talked to my chiropractor and she advised brisk walks for me. Running is a controlled movement and we want to loosen things up for labor. But in short I wish I could run and wish I would've been more proactive at keeping it up before getting pregnant. Good luck. And I hope it works out...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all the great info and advice!!! Going for a run tomorrow in the a.m.
  • Options
    Chances are you won't be anywhere near where you previously were but do NOT let that bother you! Keep in mind that your body is doing double duty of caring for you and baby in there :)
  • Options
    Yea.. I just want to be active.. no need to race. Lol
  • Options
    Like the others said, I am just running slower and intersperse a little walking here and there.  I'm running 3-4 miles 3 times a week or so, pretty much the same as I used to.  My doctor also told me to keep my heart rate in check so I definitely don't push it if I'm feeling worn out.  I was able to run up until 5 1/2-6 months with my daughter and then I just couldn't handle it because my bladder hurt so badly.  I kept walking and using the eliptical until delivery though and felt great!
  • Options
    My wife's not a runner, but she's very active with lifting weights and exercising.  Just make sure that you listen to your body.  If you took some time off, don't try to push yourself too hard.  Ease your way back in and see how you feel the day after running before you try to run farther or faster.  The baby's taking up a lot of space and your lungs won't be able to expand as well as they used to, so don't be surprised if you get winded much more quickly than you have in the past.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    I am an obsessed runner- I am 22 weeks and have not stopped running! My pace has slowed down but I am still able to 5-6 days a week and I even ran 8 last weekend!! I feel so much better when I run so I am hoping I can keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"