November 2014 Moms

Cortana for a girls name

ckey87ckey87 member
edited September 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Okay, I loved the name Cortana since I first played Halo. Now with my first baby and it a girl! I was excited to use the name, until Cortana became the new Siri of the Windows phone. Will I doom my child if I name her Cortana or am l over thinking it?

Re: Cortana for a girls name

• Sounds made up.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • meeshybee said:

Suddenly I'm wondering how many kids named "Siri" are in the world.

I'd never choose 'Siri' but far more out of fear of association with Tom Cruise than the iPhone!

Cortana is NMS at all (and my phone keeps trying to autocorrect it) but the windows phone wouldn't come to mind for me.
  • I don't play halo or have a windows phone-I think the name is fine. I wouldn't name my child after a video game personally but different strokes.
  • Other children won't realize it until they're older, but I'm guessing you would get judged hard by parents and teachers in the meantime.

I agree with @meeshybee‌, Lemon is a much more lovely name.
  • Cortana doesn't sound like a name at all. I've never heard it before, so I wouldn't associate it with anything. 

Maybe try Cordelia? Corinne?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is this a joke?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a mall in Baton Rouge called Cortana Mall.  That's the only capacity that I've ever heard the name used, so I would immediately think of a mall if I came across someone with that name.
    N14 October Siggy Challenge: How I Feel in the Third Trimesterimage
  • I would not use this. I would shorten it and use Cora.

I'm totally side eyeing Cortana and judging your lyfe.

Yes, your child would be doomed with this name, but not because of being from the phone or halo, because it's an awful, made-up sounding name.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Cantina. Corona. Coxana. Colonoscopy... Why stop there? Such a lovely name!

/end sarcasm.

Yes. I can feel the doom already with this name.

I died! Thanks for my 5am chuckle!

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• ckey87 said:
    Okay, I loved the name Cortana since I first played Halo. Now with my first baby and it a girl! I was excited to use the name, until Cortana became the new Siri of the Windows phone. Will I doom my child if I name her Cortana or am l over thinking it?
    Yes, I think you will doom your child!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Unfortunately all I thought of when you said that was a cell phone commercial. I'm sure in a few years people won't associate the 2 though.
  • ckey87 said:

Nah, Doom is a different game than Halo. No Cortana in Doom.

How about something like Corinne or Corinna?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KUinCBUS said:
    @meeshybee ...I can't seem to find name counts for anything outside of the top 1000. Do you happen to recall the link you used? Thanks! OP: There are soooo many beautiful real names that evoke the "Cortana" feel (without actually being Cortana). It's obviously your choice but yeah, between HALO (duh) and the virtual personal assistant it feels less like a name and more like a brand to me. Jen Taylor voices both. Jennifer or even Taylor might be (less obvious) options?!

@KUinCBUS I found it here: https://www.ourbabynamer.com/Siri-name-popularity.html

It was the first link on google last night and they say they use SSA data.

Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• This reminds me of the couple on youtube who named their unborn Revelyn and admitted to making it up. No. Stop.

Seriously, Cora or Coraline or something, not a made up video game name. Believe me, people will say "OH LIKE FROM HALO" for the rest. of. her. life.
  • I hated the name until you told me it was from Halo. Then I was all, 'ah-ha, I'm just not cool enough to have heard of it.' You must be in your twenties. Oh, to be young and carefree again (j/k). 

If you guys love the game, go for it! I actually heard somewhere that tons of parents are choosing the name Siri these days because of the iPhone lady. It sure as all heck beats Gladys, which is a name a whole thread of bumpies heartily approved recently.

My issue with the name is that if it becomes as household common as Siri, what would be the point anymore? People would think boring old phone, not cool game. It seems like 99% of the beauty of the name is its originality--but it sounds like that ship is sailing quick. 

What about Zelda? 
    Anniversary
  • This reminds me of the couple on youtube who named their unborn Revelyn and admitted to making it up. No. Stop.

Seriously, Cora or Coraline or something, not a made up video game name. Believe me, people will say "OH LIKE FROM HALO" for the rest. of. her. life.

FCCC... I love Revelyn lol

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• The anxiety isn't only me, people thank you! Lmao I'm a person who had to live with a name that was easy to tease. Its pretty but connected with the last name is terrible. My name is Chardawn (said Shardon), last name connected CharDawnkey. Yes, thank you parents.
  • I don't play halo. I know one person with a windows phone. I don't know who cortana is either. I like it it's different. I don't use Siri on my phone cuz she's worthless and doesn't know the answers. She just searches the web. Something I could have already done by the time she understands what I am saying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I hope you used the name Cortana!  We are naming our daughter Cortana Kay Loraine.  Yes, we first heard it on Halo, but every name comes from something.  If you like the name then use it.  There are so many stupid names out there, especially ones that celebrities use like Blue Ivy and Apple.  Also, for the comment that said it is not a "human" name, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.  There are so many names out there from different countries and cultures, and some of them are really strange, but if we choose to name our kids with those names then that makes them human names lol. I think it is more important to pick something original so your child doesn't go to school with the same name as 10 other kids in their class, or with a name that they are going to be teased by forever.  Kids are mean and are going to tease if they want to, but don't give them extra ammo!  End rant lol.

• ckey87 said:

Yes, I think you will doom your child!

THIS!
  • Name your child whatever you want. Kids will pick on other kids no matter WHAT the name is. And nobody will associate your kids name with a video game or cell phone. No matter what you name your child it will be the perfect name to you. My name is Brandi and I got called Brandi Wine my whole like... "Brandi like the alcohol" you don't know how many time I heard that. Who the f cares. It never bothered me or my parents. Almost every name rhymes with something that can be made fun of. And to people that know the name from Halo they will probably love the fact that you named your daughter that. The whole list of comments here are so hypocritical. You're saying don't name your kid something because they will get made fun of but half of you are being negative and mean with the way you chose to say it which makes me think your children will be the ones making fun of other children. Idiots.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"