Baby Names

Beau or Bo?

We love the name Beau/Bo for a boy, but can't decide which spelling is better as a standalone name. I am afraid of Beau being mispronounced and Bo being related to "body odor".

Thoughts? Anyone else have a Beau/Bo?

Re: Beau or Bo?

• 4N6s4N6s member
    Beau or Bodhi
  • Either spelling is proper and has the same pronunciation. However the origins and meanings are different, if that makes any difference to you. 

Beau is French and means beautiful or handsome

Bo is Nordic (Swedish, Danish) and means "to live"

I prefer the French spelling, Beau. It looks better when written out and I would not question is as a stand alone name. Bo, on the other hand, looks like a nickname or short spelling for something longer or more formal.

Just curious, why are you worried that Beau will be mispronounced? How could it be?
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • @brita722 Thanks for the insightful response!

My worry over mispronunciation comes from a Ben Stiller movie I saw a few years ago, The Heartbreak Kid. There was a character in the movie named Beau and Ben Stiller kept calling him "Bue". I don't know why that's stuck with me!

I have always leaned towards Beau, but wanted to see what others thought, as well.
  • My brother's name is Bo so I'm pretty partial to it. :) I would be less worried about body odor though and more about Bo Peep! And you're right, @Kate0034 it is more of a country feel. Fits him to a T. It's a NN though, I'm not sure about just Bo for a name.
  • Kate0034Kate0034 member
    edited March 2015
    @samanthaj0e actually it doesn't bother me that much as a NN! But a stand-alone.. Just no. Ha

@CocoR04 if I'm remembering that movie correctly, I think his name IS pronounced "Bue" and that's the joke! I would have to re-watch it though!
  • @Kate0034 hah! I guess I remembered it backwards? That's hilarious!
  • I say beau for sure...someone would have to be pretty dumb to mispronounce it
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Beau
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • CocoR04 said:

@brita722 Thanks for the insightful response!

My worry over mispronunciation comes from a Ben Stiller movie I saw a few years ago, The Heartbreak Kid. There was a character in the movie named Beau and Ben Stiller kept calling him "Bue". I don't know why that's stuck with me!

I have always leaned towards Beau, but wanted to see what others thought, as well.

I wouldn't worry about that. Most people recognize the name Beau and know how to pronounce it. Of the odd few that may not be familiar with this name, a quick correction will suffice. 

After all, Beau is a pretty classic name even though it's not used too often. It's been around for many years so I don't think you'll have much of a problem. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Beau.  My Bichon Frise is named Beau, and he's one very handsome and very smart guy!  Bo says country to me, like the old tv show Dukes of Hazzard.
  • @frankengibbs omg! So funny! I think we will go with Beau. No body odor jokes for my kid!
  • Beau for sure!!!!!
  • Beau 100%!
  • Beau.  My Bichon Frise is named Beau, and he's one very handsome and very smart guy!  Bo says country to me, like the old tv show Dukes of Hazzard.

I love Beau!

@carolyn219 that's too funny - My bichon frise is named Bogart but we call him Bo or Bobo, (thanks to my 3 year old!).
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    I much prefer Beau
  • LNic5 said:

I much prefer Beau

I like Beau or Bodhi. Bo seems like a dog's name.
  • @nublet I think president obama's dog is named Bo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"