March 2015 Moms
Options

Castor oil to induce labor ? Anybody tried it ?

i spoke to my doctor about things to get things moving she suggested sex (too bad I don't have sex) and I asked her about castor oil she says I should take 2 tsp of it before I go to bed and see .. I'm already 1cm dilated .. Anyone tried it? I didn't try it yet

Re: Castor oil to induce labor ? Anybody tried it ?

• Options
    I have not because I have heard it generally leads to nothing but explosive and painful diarrhea.
  • Options
    I tried it and it did absolutely nothing for me. No cramping no trips to the bathroom no nothing. Just a horrible taste in my mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Really :-( omg my friend said it worked for her :/
  • Options
    Search function. This had been discussed at length.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely not.

• Options
    Nope. And I won't.
  • Options
    My friends baby ended up dying from her taking castor oil. Just wait until he or she is ready it's not worth it.
  • Options
    Please search castor oil. This discussion was just had last week.
  • Options
    I'm 1 cm dilated too and no way I'd try that stuff. Like I've said before, I'd rather not spend my final days of pregnancy on the toilet for something that might not even work. Your baby is going to come when it's ready
  • Options
    I am 4cm dilated and 90% effaced. I tried it two days ago and got no resukts. No trips to the bathroom, nausea, or contractions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage image

Stopped BC 5/13
    Started temping/charting 9/13
    CP 11/13
    BFP!!!! 7/16/14
  • Options
    My first pregnancy I used castor oil, along with Red Raspberry Leave tea, sex, and salad that claimed to send women into labor. I went into labor a day or two later but I am not sure which one made it happen. I won't be doing any of those things this time around. But if my doctor wants to induce me I will drink the tea again and maybe do some pressure points on foot before going to the hospital. The castor oil was just a little too scary for me.
  • Options
    My doctor assured me it was perfect try safe. I did it with my first baby (due to concerns that he was too big and needed to make an early appearance). I took 2 oz with 4 oz of orange juice as directed by my dr. He was born at 39 weeks- 10lbs 7oz. I plan on doing the same with this one as well. The doctor said if the baby isn't ready then I will just end up pooping a lot, no harm done...
    Landon Daniel - 7.19.13
    Baby #2 due 3.25.15!

• Options
    The intestinal cramping resulted in uterine contractions. It takes awhile to kick in though and make sure you stay close to the bathroom :)
    Landon Daniel - 7.19.13
    Baby #2 due 3.25.15!

• Options
    My body doesn't ever want to do what it is supposed to for labor and i still refuse to use castor oil. No thanks.
    My husbands boss told him to get some of that stuff and he's even like uhh, i don't think my wife wants to shit everywhere. After she suggested sex so of course he's like. I don't feel like getting poop all over me while having sex either.
  • Options
    Also @thetalove37 if the doctor was concerned about a big baby...why not try a stretch and sweep? Im assuming you didnt want to go the induction route? But that seems safer than castor oil.
  • Options
    I used castor oil after my water broke to help get things moving. Didn't try it to induce labor. Baby was born 5 hours later. I took about 4-6oz mixed with ginger ale.
  • Options
    Can I ask why you don't have sex? I'm honestly curious.
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It probably hurts. I know I refuse to have sex due to the horrible pain it causes me
  • Options
    Sex is a no go for me right now too. Too painful and seems more work than pleasure at this point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage image

Stopped BC 5/13
    Started temping/charting 9/13
    CP 11/13
    BFP!!!! 7/16/14
  • Options
    Creeps me out when my child moves around..while my hubby and I are..moving around lol
  • Options
    Sex is uncomfortable unpleasant and creepy for me too. Due in a couple days and no idea how someone could want to have sex in this state. But anyway... My only experience is that my best friend took castor oil. Which of course gave her diarrhea, but it did put her into labour as well. Unfortunately she never progressed far enough and had over 24 hours labour before finally having an emergency c section as baby would never come out. She said she wouldn't try it again.
  • Options
    My thought is if you won't have sex because it is uncomfortable why would you risk cramping, diarrhea, hours of discomfort and pain. Sounds like you really should be doing either. For the record I like having have sex with my husband "in this state".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    They did strip my membranes, but it did not send me into labor.
    Landon Daniel - 7.19.13
    Baby #2 due 3.25.15!

• Options
    I did it. It worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"