Trouble TTC

Infertility and Crohn's

Good afternoon, everyone! I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's (after a life long battle w/the horrible symptoms but no actual diagnosis!) and have been TTC for 2 1/2 years. I'm about to start my first round of IVF but my Crohn's has been horrible and unmanagable. I was wondering if any of you ladies have both IF and Crohn's and what medications you're on that don't affect or interact with your fertility meds. I work for my GI doc but I want to do a little research before I go on medication to manage the Crohn's. Thanks!

Re: Infertility and Crohn's

• Oh I'm so sorry! My bridesmaid has severe Crohn's and has had several horrible surgeries to remove inflamed intestinal parts. We almost lost her this last round. However, she's made quite the comeback and is looking better than she has in 15 years. There's a study out of Europe last year that linked endometriosis with Crohn's and she has both. She's on some heavy duty cancer meds that work on autoimmune diseases as well, but they're incompatible with pregnancy. I would have your RE work closely with your doctors. Maybe they can do ER to preserve your fertility and then transfer (FET) when you're in remission? Take good care of yourself and I wish you all the best.
  • GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited February 2015
    @ShelbyK84 I'm sorry about your Crohn's dx but glad that you found out what was wrong!  I agree that having your RE work closely with your GI is your best bet.  If you already know which injects you're going to be on, calling your pharmacist in advance with your future drug combo is a good idea too. 

I don't have Crohn's but but swore that I did at one point (IBS/colitis for many years).  I've had several rounds of injects and tolerated them really well with no bowel problems.  However I did have a significant amount of bloating and I don't know if that could aggravate your situation as well.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry but glad you got answers and hopefully get the best treatments offered. I have had crohns since I was 12 yrs old. In 2009 I was on remicade and was able to have my daughter but after having her I had an allergic reaction to remicade and had to stop. Ever since then it's been a struggle to find medications that would calm my crohns or was even "baby safe". I went to see a GI at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN who is amazing. She specializes in women with crohns and pregnancy. With her help and my regular GI we tried the medication Entyvio which I have been on since August 2014. I ended up getting C-diff in November which stopped the TTC process but was able to get pregnant in December and i'm now 12 weeks. I understand the struggles as well as trying to manage a difficult disease but there are several medications out there that are "safe'. If you have any questions or just want to chat I am more than happy. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"