Trying to Get Pregnant

Starting TWW can I have a glass of wine

Starting my two week wait and In the past since I have been TTC I haven't had any alcohol during the wait... But is it okay to have a glass of wine?

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks everyone
  • My doctor told me a glass of red wine every once in a while (once a week) throughout pregnancy is fine unless there are known complications. I drank 1/2 glass once a week and my 10 month old is super smart and healthy (mom bias :) )... Of course don't overdo it, but a glass before you even know you're pregnant for sure is fine! Women in Europe drink wine throughout pregnancy without batting an eye, but I persinally stay on the safe side because too much alcohol or too often is obviously bad for baby!
  • Yes don't feel bad the stress is way more harmful than a teensy glass of wine would ever be(: best wishes
  • Yes. You do not share blood supply until the placenta forms in week 6.

So, drink till it is pink

You definitely share a blood supply with your baby before week 6. A lot of women can turn a test 10-16 days after ovulation and at that point alcohol should be avoided. (That would be about 3.5-4.5 weeks pregnant)

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since July 2014
    BFP#1 11/1/14, EDD 7/15/15, 
    MM/C (blighted ovum) 12/2/14 at 8 wks, D&C 12/5/14
    Fur Parents to Mercy, Fluffy and Big Tex
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

You definitely share a blood supply with your baby before week 6. A lot of women can turn a test 10-16 days after ovulation and at that point alcohol should be avoided. (That would be about 3.5-4.5 weeks pregnant)
    I'm sorry, you're mistaken. Even though the embryo implants at 7 -10 days past ovulation and begins to produce hcg -- that does not mean you are sharing blood supply regarding things ingested by the mother.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• avddsavdds member

Yes. You do not share blood supply until the placenta forms in week 6.

False. A glass of wine a week scientifically shows no harm to fetus, but most women won't drink that much anyway, if at all. There is a great book called Expecting Better by Emily Oster that goes through thousands of research articles to show the truth behind common myths.
  • imnotfancyimnotfancy member
    edited March 2015

I'm sorry, you're mistaken. Even though the embryo implants at 7 -10 days past ovulation and begins to produce hcg -- that does not mean you are sharing blood supply regarding things ingested by the mother.
    What are you thinking produces HCG? Answer: the placenta, which begins to form around week 4- shortly after implantation. If you can turn a test positive, you are sharing blood supply. And if you are sharing a blood supply, you should not be drinking (or drinking more than a dr would recommend).

ETA: you know the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart, and other organs begin to form around week 5. So you want to be drinking alcohol when you know you are pregnant during one of the most crucial times Of baby's development?!? Smart. ::sarcasm::

You share a blood supply before 6 weeks pregnant. And since most people have said "drink till its pink" that's going be (most likely) 10-16 days after ovulation.

Anniversary
    TTC since July 2014
  • avdds said:

False. A glass of wine a week scientifically shows no harm to fetus, but most women won't drink that much anyway, if at all. There is a great book called Expecting Better by Emily Oster that goes through thousands of research articles to show the truth behind common myths.
    That's a decision that should be made between a patient and their physician. But I will side with the surgeon general and their warning that alcohol should be avoided during pregnancy. In my personal opinion, I will try to avoid things that aren't helpful to my growing baby. One small glass of wine every now and then might not be harmful to a developing baby but I know it's not helping my baby and will therefore avoid it during pregnancy... but that's also my personal opinion. I still hold strong to what I said about avoiding alcohol during pregnancy. I'm pretty sure that's not flame worthy. 

Anniversary
    TTC since July 2014

What are you thinking produces HCG? Answer: the placenta, which begins to form around week 4- shortly after implantation. If you can turn a test positive, you are sharing blood supply. And if you are sharing a blood supply, you should not be drinking (or drinking more than a dr would recommend).

ETA: you know the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart, and other organs begin to form around week 5. So you want to be drinking alcohol when you know you are pregnant during one of the most crucial times Of baby's development?!? Smart. ::sarcasm::

You share a blood supply before 6 weeks pregnanct. And since most people have said "drink till its pink" that's going be (most likely) 10-16 days after ovulation.
    ----------
    that makes sense about the placenta. I agree with you. I do wonder though whether a placenta or baby even has its own blood at this point.

Personally, I don't drink at all. But I'm not TTC, so that's not why. But I have seen many studies plus the continent of Europe who say that drinking in moderation is ok.

But in a side note, you seem very passionate on this issue. Maybe you could use a drink. :) ...see what I did there?
    My TTC History:
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)

My Charts since 2009

• Hi there.

Since the discussion involves a glass of wine and pregnancy im actually curious in finding out if at some point of pregnancy whether the early or late stage if the body develops any low tolerance to alcohol?

You share a blood supply before 6 weeks pregnanct. And since most people have said "drink till its pink" that's going be (most likely) 10-16 days after ovulation.
    ----------
    that makes sense about the placenta. I agree with you. I do wonder though whether a placenta or baby even has its own blood at this point.

Personally, I don't drink at all. But I'm not TTC, so that's not why. But I have seen many studies plus the continent of Europe who say that drinking in moderation is ok.

But in a side note, you seem very passionate on this issue. Maybe you could use a drink. :) ...see what I did there?
    I'm passionate about sharing correct information based on the science of the human body. Instead of a drink, I got my bachelors degree in nursing. :) ...see what I did there?

Anniversary
    TTC since July 2014
  • avddsavdds member

avdds said:

That's a decision that should be made between a patient and their physician. But I will side with the surgeon general and their warning that alcohol should be avoided during pregnancy. In my personal opinion, I will try to avoid things that aren't helpful to my growing baby. One small glass of wine every now and then might not be harmful to a developing baby but I know it's not helping my baby and will therefore avoid it during pregnancy... but that's also my personal opinion. I still hold strong to what I said about avoiding alcohol during pregnancy. I'm pretty sure that's not flame worthy. 
    Was not trying to "flame" you, whatever that means. Sorry if it came off that way. I agree that it should be a decision between a patient and their physician, however we are both allowed to give our opinions, and I just want people to be adequately and scientifically informed rather than just accept things as how they are because they have always been that way.
    I am glad you are using scientific information. I am passionate about science as well, but I don't have to brag about my doctorate. :)
  • avdds said:

avdds said:

Was not trying to "flame" you, whatever that means. Sorry if it came off that way. I agree that it should be a decision between a patient and their physician, however we are both allowed to give our opinions, and I just want people to be adequately and scientifically informed rather than just accept things as how they are because they have always been that way.
    I am glad you are using scientific information. I am passionate about science as well, but I don't have to brag about my doctorate. :)
    I'm not "bragging" and my smart comment was obviously pointed to the person implying that I'm uptight an need a drink. All I'm trying to spread accurate information and squash the misinformation of when you share blood supply with you baby and when you should start factoring in the other human being to your lifestyle choices.

If your doctorate gives you credibility in this thread (IMO, it does because it shows you should know how to determine credible research vs people spreading hearsay) then it wouldn't be absurd to share.

Anniversary
    TTC since July 2014
  • avddsavdds member
    ^that was rude of @TheBorg7of9
  • seamonkey0814seamonkey0814 member
    edited March 2015
    Haha I got pregnant in early December and didn't find out until Christmas. There were A LOT of xmas parties in between. I stopped the second I found out but there was still a bit of guilt. Luckily I have a couple of friends who went to weddings not knowing they were pregnant and drank like crazy So I had plenty of people to convince me that it would be ok. Long story short, all our babies are fine :)
  • With my second pregnancy, I found out I was pregnant because I had "too much" to drink one weekend and the hangover never went away. I threw up that night and it never stopped (though I didn't think I drank enough for that sort of reaction). Anyway, I mentioned this to my doctor and what he said to me really stuck-- if having a couple drinks early on in pregnancy is that detrimental, we'd all be walking around a little funny.

Ok, he wasn't the most politically correct doctor, but had definitely had a point. NOTE: I am NOT saying that I support drinking while you know you're pregnant! I'm simply supporting that drinking while trying to GET pregnant is no big deal, and women who drink before they know they're pregnant are likely safe, too.

TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• avdds said:

Sarcasm is rude?
  • avdds said:

It. Was. A. Joke.
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• avddsavdds member
    27alex said:

avdds said:

Sarcasm is rude?
    Of course it is, by definition! Haha. And I know it was a joke @TheBorg7of9 , but maybe an unnecessary one.
  • avdds said:

27alex said:

avdds said:

Sarcasm is rude?
    Of course it is, by definition! Haha. And I know it was a joke @TheBorg7of9 , but maybe an unnecessary one.
    Sorry for trying to lighten the mood. I forgot that we are the Borg and therefore humor is irrelevant. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. You will be assimilated. ....Hmmm, maybe I could use a drink too.
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• Emily Oster does an excellent job of summarizing the research on this topic (and a bunch of others related to pregnancy) in her book, Expecting Better. I'm not a doctor, but basically, if you get totally obliterated during your two-week wait, the research indicates that you risk having a miscarriage. If you have a glass of wine with food, the best research out there indicates that you and your baby will likely be just fine.

And just my 2 cents: I found that book was a great read during my pregnancy. It really helped me feel informed and to stop freaking the F out over every little thing. And I might be biased, but I bet that my little girl has benefitted from incubating in way more relaxed mama-to-be for the past 8 months.

• My husband and I are TTC also this is our second month.  I honestly was wondering the same thing.  I like having my one glass of wine while I watch Scandal.  I also have a cup of coffee in the morning.  I have just started my two week wait to see if we are pregnant. I keep hearing that I need to relax and not stress, and not think about it.  How am I supposed to not wonder if I'm pregnant all of the time especially since we are TTC?  Alright I'm done venting.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"