Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Sleep help-naps and nighttime

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. LO seems overtired a lot and fights any type of sleep after noon. Bedtime is 7:30 but it usually takes several hours to get her to sleep. She wakes up once to eat and is up around 7:30 am. Eat,play then nap around 9. She then goes into a dead to the world sleep for 3 hours on the dot. Eat, play, nap again around 1:30/2. She then sleeps for an hour on the dot, wakes up crabby and still tired but won't go back to sleep. Catnaps (30min) around dinner and then the hell of bedtime starts again. She's never up more than 2 hours but seems tired from about 3pm on. Any ideas???

Re: Sleep help-naps and nighttime

• How old is she?

Maybe you shouldn't be following eat, play, nap because it sounds like that isn't working? Are you following her tired cues? If I don't start a nap time routine right when DD starts acting tired then the window of opportunity starts slipping away.

Evenings are tough for my DD as well and she is so overstimulated by the end of the day that she's sort of a mess. She does pass out after her bedtime bottle though.

• She's a few days shy of 5 months. Yes, I put her down as soon as I see a yawn. She gets excited to go to bed at naptime and like I said sleeps great in the morning. I do the exact same thing in the afternoon and evening. Goes right down in the afternoon but doesnt stay asleep. Shes actually usually in a good mood until after the bath in the evening and I guess she realizes its bedtime. She eats and then goes straight to fussing and then full out crying even if we rock her. And she won't take the pacifier at night either even though she loves it during the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • with DD we were on a 2up 2 down schedule from 3 months on. whenever it was time for nap we would do lotion/scent to let her get the cues. In saying this DS is at the 3 month mark and has a mind of his own with getting on any kind of schedule! DS cluster feeds before bed. He will eat a bottle with us at dinner, then bath, then he will eat again before we put him down for the night.

Have you tried a bit more to eat in the evenings?

• She actually eats a lot in the evening on her own too. She usually eats about 5-6oz during the day but will polish off 8oz before bed. She never falls asleep or gets close to falling asleep eating though. Not since she was a newborn. I hate to say it but it almost seems like the only thing that relaxes her is crying for a bit. Unless I could glue the pacifier to her face!
  • How long In between bottles when he cluster feeds?
  • The glory of the cluster feed is there is no right or wrong way. Last night DS ate 5 oz for DH. I gave him a bath and then he did another 5 oz...that was maybe an hour apart.

Some people try cereal starting at 4-5 months. have you tried anything like that? I started about a week ago and DS is about 3 1/2 months. (started late with DD and just trying something different this time around) The cereal doesn't have a lot of nutritional value but is a good filler. Its also hit or miss on if you spoon feed or add it to the bottle. Well I go against the grain here and add it to the bottle. Not the last bottle. the one before bath. That way if he is going to spit up and choke I can hear it and save his life. (peoples main concern is the baby choking to death).

From the sounds of it your LO is formula fed? Also it sounds like you have a bit of a schedule going. For your bath time routine have you tried the baby bed time lotion? It has a light lavender scent which is supposed to be calming.

With DD we did the CIO. DS is still a bit young for me to let the CIO begin. If you can handle it, you should do a bit of research on CIO methods and see whats going to work best for you!!

• The glory of the cluster feed is there is no right or wrong way. Last night DS ate 5 oz for DH. I gave him a bath and then he did another 5 oz...that was maybe an hour apart.

Some people try cereal starting at 4-5 months. have you tried anything like that? I started about a week ago and DS is about 3 1/2 months. (started late with DD and just trying something different this time around) The cereal doesn't have a lot of nutritional value but is a good filler. Its also hit or miss on if you spoon feed or add it to the bottle. Well I go against the grain here and add it to the bottle. Not the last bottle. the one before bath. That way if he is going to spit up and choke I can hear it and save his life. (peoples main concern is the baby choking to death).

From the sounds of it your LO is formula fed? Also it sounds like you have a bit of a schedule going. For your bath time routine have you tried the baby bed time lotion? It has a light lavender scent which is supposed to be calming.

With DD we did the CIO. DS is still a bit young for me to let the CIO begin. If you can handle it, you should do a bit of research on CIO methods and see whats going to work best for you!!

I feel like this whole post is one big joke. Don't listen to any of this OP.

How many times do people have to say that CEREAL DOESN'T HELP A BABY SLEEP before people actually get it? You already know it's a filler, so therefore it's taking up space in your baby's stomach where something with actual nutritional value should be - like BM or formula. Also, putting it in the bottle....I won't even touch that. Come on now. OP, you should get the ok from your Pedi before starting any solids at all. Babies actually need to be ready - it's not when YOU are ready.

I still can't believe all the horse shit in this post.....

• Well in general before you do anything you should get the ok with a pedi. Which we have done with both of our children. In asking for help/guidance you are asking to see what others have done. tried and true. maybe/maybe not. No need to be nasty.
  • Well in general before you do anything you should get the ok with a pedi. Which we have done with both of our children. In asking for help/guidance you are asking to see what others have done. tried and true. maybe/maybe not. No need to be nasty.

Well your Pedi sounds like a real winner too.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Pedi did suggest cereal (from spoon) a few wks ago when DD turned 4 mos. Took her several wks to get the hang of it but now likes it. Hasn't helped her sleep AT ALL though. :(. Maybe she wants to cluster feed. I never would guess shed be hungry after an hour bit who knows!
  • Thanks for all the replies. Pedi did suggest cereal (from spoon) a few wks ago when DD turned 4 mos. Took her several wks to get the hang of it but now likes it. Hasn't helped her sleep AT ALL though. :(. Maybe she wants to cluster feed. I never would guess shed be hungry after an hour bit who knows!

My Pedi said there is a growth spurt around this time so increased feeding or cluster feeding is pretty normal. It's a big fat myth that cereal helps a baby sleep. It doesn't. If someone says it does, it's merely coincidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"