Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-Baby Shower

gypsea1109gypsea1109 member
edited March 2015 in Eco-Friendly Family
Normally, I'd post this in the Baby Shower thread...but a lot of the moms posting there are not of a like-mind and just tell me not to be so rigid in what I plan to use for my baby. 

For your Shower, how do you let people know that you won't be using just any old baby products, but rather the specific ones you have researched (type A stuff-researcher and list maker, right here!), and/or fair trade and organic products from local herbal soap stores, ie. baby soaps and baby oils?

In my family, my mom is really the only one who understands my crunchy-ness, but I have tons of 'veteran' moms who are almost insulted that I refuse to use the products they used on their babies. 
'I'm sorry, but I live and breathe natural foods and products, and I know exactly what is in Johnson & Johnsons, and other 'typical' brands.' Run of the mill diapers are the worst! I could never put such chemical-ridden things on my baby! I will use Honest Co. and maybe 2 other wholesome diaper brands, that is it! All others gifted to us, will be sold via Ebay or donated...or returned!

I figured the Eco threads would be a good place to ask about this...I know you can't control what folks gift you, but is there any non-rude way to let them know that you won't be using products that have traces of chemicals and toxins...like BPA/BPS in plastic bottles, etc.? (We will only use glass bottles!) 

Or do I have to smile and nod at my Shower and return everything and lie when people ask where their gifts are? 

-First time hippie mama

Re: Eco-Baby Shower

• You can not dictate how people spend their money on you. You've made a registry and they know you well enough to know your life style. That's about as much "control" you have on gifts so graciously given to you. So yes you sit there and thank everyone for their gifts and if that seems to difficult you don't have a shower.
    You seem so hell bent on getting the answer you want and there's always an excuse to everything that I'm confused as to why you continue to ask. Why don't you just do what you want and send a pamphlet with your invite giving strict guidelines for gifts.
  • You can not dictate how people spend their money on you. You've made a registry and they know you well enough to know your life style. That's about as much "control" you have on gifts so graciously given to you. So yes you sit there and thank everyone for their gifts and if that seems to difficult you don't have a shower.
    You seem so hell bent on getting the answer you want and there's always an excuse to everything that I'm confused as to why you continue to ask. Why don't you just do what you want and send a pamphlet with your invite giving strict guidelines for gifts.

If you do not understand my question, that is fine! Following me to a different thread to complain about me is just annoying. 

I was looking for real advice and answers. There are tons of moms out there like me, and it's not about dictating anything! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I get where you're coming from. My extended family thinks I'm over the top when it comes to organic and natural products. They don't buy natural products for themselves, so I knew they wouldn't buy them for my LO as presents. With that said, I felt rather weird telling people that I didn't want certain products. After all, I believe gifts should not be expected or requested. 

Here's how I chose to handle it: I only registered for the items I wanted to use with LO, which did help for those who chose to buy items off our registry. I still did receive some Johnson & Johnson product, plastic bottles, etc. from those who purchased what worked for them. I was able to return most of those items for store credit at Target and sold the rest of it on a local Facebook garage sale group in my area. Honestly, most of what I received was clothing, books, etc. anyways, so it didn't end up being as big of a deal as I thought it would be.

By the way, we use Honest Co. diapers and wipes and LOVE them. Plus their customer service is fantastic. You will love them! ;) 
  • And as for people asking where their gifts are, I really don't think that will happen. I never had anyone ask me why my LO wasn't using something they bought for him.
  • After explaining this exact dilemma to my mom, she decided to include on the invitations that this is a gift card shower and specified where to get gift cards from. We also agreed that I'd be sharing photos of the things I bought with the gift cards. Of course, I also had a convenient excuse as to why I couldn't accept physical gifts - I'll be flying out-of-state for my shower and couldn't fly gifts back home with me. I'm pretty pleased with this and I'm also glad knowing that now no one will feel bad about their budgets, like they might if I had a registry (since eco-friendly baby items are quite costly).

I think it's very rude of you to follow her here to chastise her yet again. You already made your opinion known in another thread - now back off and let her get feedback from users with a different point of view without your berating comments.
  • After explaining this exact dilemma to my mom, she decided to include on the invitations that this is a gift card shower and specified where to get gift cards from. We also agreed that I'd be sharing photos of the things I bought with the gift cards. Of course, I also had a convenient excuse as to why I couldn't accept physical gifts - I'll be flying out-of-state for my shower and couldn't fly gifts back home with me. I'm pretty pleased with this and I'm also glad knowing that now no one will feel bad about their budgets, like they might if I had a registry (since eco-friendly baby items are quite costly).

OMG, this is so tacky. 
  • I have suggested themes way back in the past… there was one about doing a "Green" shower. So maybe something like that would go over well? 

• @NotISaidtheCat: I do not think this is tacky!  I am kind of envious actually! I am excited to get baby things but I also have very little space in my house for "stuff".  And I am a minimalist to begin with.  I think that is a super cute idea to take photos with the gifts you get with the gift cards! 
  • Okay... So I think we're all missing a very large point about registries.

Registries are for this very reason!!!

You want specific stuff you put it on the list. That's why they made registries so people could get that they want.

I'm really not sure of a better way to tell friends or family I want this stuff and not that stuff.

If people get you items not on the registry that's on them. They went out of the box and if you don't like it they should understand if you return it.
  • I put specific diapers on the registry (Honest, Bambo) and got so much heat for it. People have told me that I am being ridiculous, that I should by cheap diapers for day care, that if I cared that much for the environment I'd use cloth. It's been a slight nightmare having to explain over and over my reasons. I hate to do it (I feel guilty) but if I have been given something I can return then I will. Or, I will sell it on one of the many FB yard sale sites. At this point, no one has bought diapers for us...and that is okay, too.

I like the idea of a 'green' shower theme.

Hope the whole thing works out for you!
  • I just added a small disclaimer to our registry about our choices. Hoping this helps guide people to understand our decisions.

Thank you for visiting our registry! We are so grateful for your generosity. This is just a note to learn more about our registry decisions. We LOVE: Handmade items (Etsy.com or your own beautiful creations), wood and fabric toys versus plastic, organic materials whenever possible. We plan to use Honest Company products exclusively on baby - these organic, hypoallergenic products will keep baby and the environment safe at the same time! We plan on cloth diapering exclusively.
  • mariafordonmariafordon member
    edited June 2015
    I've been thinking about this a lot because it's very important to me to have Eco-friendly/somewhat minimalist baby stuff. I would like to use as little plastic/disposable stuff as possible. We plan on cloth diapering and using natural products. However I know that these are choices that not everyone will understand or be supportive of and I don't feel comfortable telling people they can't buy certain things because I really do appreciate their generosity whether or not it's in line with what I want to use in my home.
    So my plan for now is to be suggestive with my registry. By registering for natural products, wood/metal/natural fabric instead of plastic and cloth diapering supplies instead of disposables. Hopefully people will get the hint and buy off the registry. This will probably mean I'll be making some returns lol but I'm not going to feel too guilty for returning/selling/donating something that I truly will not use, that I don't want just taking up space.
    I would say stick to your ethics but also be considerate of the people who have been generous enough to give you things. People can be really sensitive about this stuff especially if they feel like you're passing judgement on them(not that I think you are) for not using natural organic product with their kids.
  • I'm in the same boat. I've registered for non-toxic, chemical free items...and I also plan to make a little note on our invites that we only want these kind of items ;) 
  • edited September 2015
    In your note on the registry I think you should add "reuse, recycle, ..." Share the names of a couple of baby consignment stores in the area. This is what we did.

On Amazon registry you can even put the item & name of store where to get it (a link) for the local herbal soap stores.

• I just posted something similar on a baby shower post.  But, I am very like minded.  When we got married, we didn't need a lot.  I registered for things we need, and we only got 3-4 gifts we would never use. I donated those to a charity thrift store.  No one ever asked where there gift was.    

I think if you're registering for specific baby products, then people will generally get the idea.  

I'm going to have to have a very small gift/gift card shower because I live out-of-state, and I'm going to have to fly home for my shower (it's the same week as another event so to save trips).  Or guests could have the gifts sent.  Hope my friends/family don't see this as rude. But you can't please everyone.  
  • Mensch00Mensch00 member
    edited January 2016
     *Removed Due to TOU Violation *
    just posted on the Baby Shower thread and was worried that some people would rip me apart for my lifestyle choices.  Then I found your thread and deleted my other one haha!  I completely get where you are coming from. My 2 options are going to be A) Gift card shower or B) Plumfund registry.  Blurb on the invite with a cute explanation then we will include a picture in the thank you cards of us with our newly acquired stash!  

Most of my family knows I'm like this so I'd like to think they will understand.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • This was a worry for me but most of my family and friends know this is the lifestyle I live.  A good option would be to include a little blurb on your invite.  :) 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie