Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nipple Shield

edited March 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Any tips on weaning my baby off a nipple shield. I was given one before I left the hospital because she wouldn't latch for longer than a few sucks. She feeds well with the shield but now she won't latch at all on my nipple. Any advice is welcome.

Re: Nipple Shield

• I'd continue with what works.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I used one for about 4-5weeks. When we were ready to ditch it I just worked on using a C-hold to help my DS latch. When he wouldn't latch without it I used it and just kept trying at the start of every feeding and one day it clicked for him and he latched perfectly all day so we never went back to using it. Hang in there, these babies are smart and she will figure it out :)
  • Loading the player...
  • first time around we went 3 months before i was able to wean my daughter off of it.  it was easier during the day than at night so we did that first.  this time around, my son is already doing better without it during the day and occassionally at night.  i agree with previous posts, stick with what works, but try without it and eventually it will click
  • eleolin8eleolin8 member
    edited March 2015
    I also used one from the hospital b/c DS wouldn't latch without it.  Sometimes I would get a latch here and there for a minute or so without it prior to 3 weeks.  However, at 3 weeks something clicked for him and we weaned off it then.  He is 7 weeks now and I use it ~0-2x/day depending on my supply and his fussiness.  Sometimes when I try to use it, he's like "WTH is that thing you're putting in my mouth?"  lol.  But when my supply is low after pumping or at night when he is fussy, that's when I use it.  I agree, babies are smart and it will totally click!  BUT, if it doesn't, I posted about the same thing and some mommies on here had to use it for LO who are 3-8 months old.  Whatever helps them get breast milk :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"