September 2014 Moms
Options

is my 5m 10d old baby ready for solids? HELP

My baby is 23weeks and at this point hes been strictly breastfed. The s/o is ready to begin giving solids and starting to pressure me..
Baby is showing all signs of readiness except he isnt hungry for anymore then breastmilk as he only eats 3-4 times a day and wakes once in a 10hr time span overnight. (Hes a large boy, 22.1lbs) I myself am not ready to give solids, and not sure if baby really needs it as he is clearly thriving off my milk. Whats your advice?

Answers

• Options
    It is recommended to wait until 6 months but many people start at 4 months. I am waiting until 6 because we are planning on doing baby led feeding/weaning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you think baby is ready then give it a shot. I started my LO at 22 weeks with rice cereal and breast milk and he loved it. He now gets really excited when I bust out his spoon and bowl, he knows what time it is. :) he's now tried apples, bananas and pears, today sweet potato!
  • Options
    We pureed organic avocados last week when he hit 5 months and was sitting up on his own. We placed him in the MamaPapa chair and fed him a teaspoon of it. He loved it!
  • Options
    My LO is super tiny, 12lbs9oz at 5 months. We've been feeding solids for a month now and he jumped a little on the scale. He couldn't take any more fluids so it was a good choice for us to get him more calories. He loves it! We did oatmeal for 4 weeks 1 then 2 times a day then in the last two weeks started peaches and then bananas at dinner time. IMO you shouldn't rush it, it doesn't sound necessary in your LOs case.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options
    jroll2lojroll2lo member
    edited March 2015

I would speak to your pediatrician (as advised above).  But also note that starting solids is not about adding nutrition to your baby's diet, but more about teaching your baby how to eat solids.  My pediatrician recommended 1 Tablespoon of cereal or pureed foods (3 days in between new foods to check for allergy). Your baby will still get the majority of his nutrition from milk for his first year.  Again, please discuss with your pediatrician because every baby is different.

*Edited for spelling

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would say yes. My pediatrician said to start my son 5-6 months she said if you wait too long sometimes they resist the change in texture. I started my son on rice cereal and oatmeal at 5 months. He's doing great loves everything but green beans so far! He is also EBF and I have to say it does feel a little strange not being needed so often. I'm still trying to figure out how often to pump and breast feed with his eating solids but part of me is happy that he's needing me less to nurse. Idk its a strange feeling! Good luck mama!! I say go for it after clearing it with your pediatrician.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"