August 2015 Moms

Glucose testing

Is anyone else opting out of drinking that god awful orange drink? Im doing an alternative for my testing as I am an all natural eater and never have processed foods. The orange drink can make you sick all day if your body isnt used to processed ingredients. I am well informed and have spoke with my doctor. I was just interested to know whether anyone else is opting for alternative as well!

Re: Glucose testing

• My dr offers a fruit punch
  • I have had the orange drink twice before. No big deal.

Unless you normally have food issues I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Whats the alternative? I didn't know there was one.
  • I'm definitely taking it. My blood sugar was really high at my last appointment and I've been having nasty dizzy spells so my doctor is having me take it early.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine is fruit punch flavored! Tastes like flat Tahitian treat!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I opted out with my first mainly because my insurance company wouldn't cover it and we were already paying so much out of pocket for all the ultrasounds, etc. I am a very clean natural eater as well, healthy and was 25 when pregnant with my first- my OBs were fine with my decision and I did a lot of research before making my decision- they tested me and my son right after he was born in the hospital and it was negative  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im testing my blood sugar levels like a diabetic would, but just periodically. That is one alternative as well as just alternatives to the drink such as jellybeans before testing or pancakes with syrup. Im not okay with the drink. The ingredients in it are pretty harsh, but it is a personal decision. Millions of people do the testing with no harm, no foul. Im just not willing to put anything unnatural into my body that I dont have to. I dont like that they try to put your body into insulin shock to see if it can handle it. My body isnt use to false sugar and ingredients and wont like it. I was just curious to see though as it seemed most people I know just went and did the testing with know knowledge there were even other options.
  • edited February 2015
    I'm fully knowledgeable of other options but will still drink the juice provided. It isn't really that bad. I have my share of processed foods daily so it's no biggie here.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't eat sugar and my body doesn't like it, but I do what my doctor recommends. Seeing as GD isn't something to mess around with, I'll take feeling like crap for an hour over the harm undetected GD can do to the baby.

• Im testing my blood sugar levels like a diabetic would, but just periodically. That is one alternative as well as just alternatives to the drink such as jellybeans before testing or pancakes with syrup. Im not okay with the drink. The ingredients in it are pretty harsh, but it is a personal decision. Millions of people do the testing with no harm, no foul. Im just not willing to put anything unnatural into my body that I dont have to. I dont like that they try to put your body into insulin shock to see if it can handle it. My body isnt use to false sugar and ingredients and wont like it. I was just curious to see though as it seemed most people I know just went and did the testing with know knowledge there were even other options.

I did do this the entire time too- I had the sticks that I would pee on and would report to the doctor at each visit what the number read

• I kind of want to opt out because I did the one hour last time and failed and then had to do the 3 hour and passed. The 1 hour test is administered very inconsistently. Some people are told to fast, others told to eat high protein, etc. Based on that, I don't believe it is a true measure of anything. I would honestly rather just do the 3 hour which I think is a better actual measure. I plan to discuss options with my doctor.
  • What alternative are you doing? I'm a registered dietitian/ clean eater and asked my doc if I could opt out (volunteered to check my blood sugar instead). My doc didn't give me any other options and said I have to do it. I really don't want to ingest that artificially flavored drink.
  • You do not HAVE to do anything, there is no law that requires you to submit to any medical test with which you are not comfortable. Your dr should explain the benefits and risks of all tests and conditions and then it is ultimately up to you.

• First time I opted for the alternative which I researched and suggested. I ate my NORMAL breakfast and went in to get tested and then went in on an empty stomach the next time and they compared results. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary nor did I eat anything (including alternatives) I don't typically eat. 
    This time around I will talk about refusing it completely or if my midwife is adamant about it, doing the same alternative. 
    Mom of one toddler boy, with another BOY on the way. Life is exciting traveling being active duty & a wife. 

Sometimes I vlog on
    YouTube. Check out my channel here! 
  • I actually found out recently that some friends were able to drink orange juice as an alternative to the drink they normally give you. I did it with my first 2 and didn't have any issues. But I'd rather drink OJ or eat pancakes with syrup like a pp said.
  • My midwife just has me eat a normal breakfast and then does a blood test with a diabetic test strip.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• WDDCHWDDCH member
    I did an alternative one when pregnant with my fourth baby. I had to eat a very specific breakfast. They also said I could do jelly beans instead of the breakfast, but I didn't have any because those are nasty lol.

With my fifth baby I never did the GD test. My midwife said we'd do it if I showed any signs or symptoms of having GD, which I never did.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"