Breastfeeding

Nipple confusion help.

Hey guys. I'm new to this board. I have a 2 week old little boy and since yesterday he's been experiencing what I can only guess is nipple confusion.

The last day or so he will scream unrelentingly when I go to get him to latch shaking his head the whole time refusing my nipple. I know he's hungry and eventually I cave and give him a bottle because I don't want him to be that hungry. It started in full yesterday around noon and since then has really only latched and fed maybe for about 4 of our feedings and even then only really had one good full feeding the rest he will start refusing me part way through and end up with a bottle of pumped milk.

We've tried a few things to help, more frequent feeding every 1.5-2 hours whether or not he's giving me hunger queues. Also a syringe with breast milk so when/if he latches I kinda squirt some in there to encourage him to keep sucking right at first. We've also done a lot of skin to skin leading up to feedings as well as switch to bottles that are more like a natural nipple. It's seemed to help some but I would really love to get through a feeding without a bottle. I'm not really sure what else to do... Any tips? Sorry for the novel.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nipple confusion help.

• Just support and to see if you've researched kellymom.com. Otherwise I'd recommend a LC appointment. I know there's a growth spurt around 2 weeks and some babies do t like to work for the milk but it seems you are accounting for that with the syringe.
  • I agree with PP. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah I'm going to set up a lactation consult. I hope it's not too late to win him back to the boob. He showed zero interest in it last night and this am.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"