Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding and Depression Meds

I am currently 28 weeks and due May 12th.  When I got pregnant I was on 20 mg of Lexapro and 20 mg of Abilify and with the guidance of my docs I am now on 5 mg of Lexapro and 2.5 mg of Abilify.  My docs have all said to stay on my meds through my pregnancy and into postpartum since I am at such a high risk for postpartum depression.   My OB has mentioned that I might not be able to breastfeed due to my medications and the baby getting them through the milk.  I have talked to the pedi and they said they won't know anything until the baby is here.  I am wondering if anyone has had luck with BF while on depression medications.  I know everyone is different but any experiences you have to share would help me tremendously.  Thanks!!

Re: Breastfeeding and Depression Meds

• I'm not sure about depression meds but I'm taking Zoloft for anxiety and I breastfeed. I'm on a really low dosage but I still supplement with formula every couple of feedings. Talk to your OB about supplementing. Good luck honey :) I also struggle with depression so I'm here if you need to talk
  • I'm currently on Effexor. I stopped it during 2nd trimester, because it's contraindicated in late pregnancy. But then I restarted it about a month after LO was born.  Here's a great website that talks about antidepressants and breastfeeding:

Depending on the safety class of your meds, maybe your doctor would need to change your meds around a little bit (e.g. I was on topamax too, but stopped that before I got pregnant and never restarted it). It's basically going to be a balance of your desire to breastfeed vs. the risk of depression postpartum. But it sound like you've got some time to talk with your healthcare team and develop a plan.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you both so much! I'll look into the website you gave me. I appreciate your time and information.
  • The best resource when it comes to medications and pregnancy and breastfeeding is https://m.infantrisk.com . You can call them for information about the safety of your medications and breastfeeding. Their website has a lot of information on this exact topic.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"