April 2014 Moms
Options

Yet another Sippy cup question

So I haven't been able to get DD to accept more than a few sips from a sippy cup before she throws a fit. I keep hearing all of you mentioning that you use a straw style sippy... I am willing to try that, but Im trying to figure out, how the hell do you teach them to suck from the straw? I was curious if a straw would work so I have given her a few drinks with a straw to see if she will get it and she just thinks its something new to chew on and doesn't even close her mouth around it.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

Re: Yet another Sippy cup question

• Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. About an hour ago I gave LO this type of cup and she just chewed on the rubber straw. I tried showing her but she just looked at me like I had three heads.
  • Options
    I modeled it for my LO, let her play with it and she picked it right up.

Someone suggested a juice box so you can squeeze a little of it up to show them something is in there. Once they figure it out it is the cutest freaking thing ever.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For the first couple days my LO didn't get it. Then she just picked up on what it was and how to do it. We stopped trying to give her a regular sippy since she drinks so well out of this one.
  • Options
    We've tried the straw kind and she would prefer not to drink from it but she hasn't really wanted to drink from any cups yet. She has gotten stuff out but seemed to not like what was in the cup. She is EBF and also has really resisted bottles of pumped milk. Not sure if that plays into it. I really need to be more consistent at offering cups. On the other hand she will eventually get it-my DS had trouble with different kinds of cups but grew into them.
  • Options
    BADASBKRCKBADASBKRCK member
    edited February 2015

Its weird because DD is formula fed and loves it but the few times I have gotten her to actually put a sippy cup to her mouth (most of the time she just looks at it and freaks out) she will try it but doesn't seem to like it even though its the same thing she usually has!

*edited for atrocious sentence structure

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options
    We started with the straw cups that do not have the "no spill." Those seem pretty hard to suck out of. Once LO got the hang of it and knew what he was doing (about a week) we switched to the no spill straw cups.

I drink out of a reusable straw up all the time and I would give LO sips of my water. He thought it was so neat. Haha I think he learned just from watching me.

Now he is a pro!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    I was about to go buy some straw cups but somehow DD just started to "get it" with her regular sippy this past week. I used the tip that some others gave to fill the sippy right up (I just do water) and something just clicked and she does much better now. I do however have to limit her time with the sippy as she will drink all the water and fill up on that instead of milk. She is too picky about how she will take her milk to put that in a sippy just yet :P
  • Options
    Katy0525 said:

We started with the straw cups that do not have the "no spill." Those seem pretty hard to suck out of. Once LO got the hang of it and knew what he was doing (about a week) we switched to the no spill straw cups.

I drink out of a reusable straw up all the time and I would give LO sips of my water. He thought it was so neat. Haha I think he learned just from watching me.

Now he is a pro!

This was true for us too. I let him drink out of my straw cup and I think he just knew what to do from watching me. We also had to try a few different no-spill straw cups to find one that worked. Some of them were just impossible to get liquid out of.
  • Options

For the first couple days my LO didn't get it. Then she just picked up on what it was and how to do it. We stopped trying to give her a regular sippy since she drinks so well out of this one.

Exactly this!

• Options
    @Sporty1216 agreed! Some of the little toddler straw cups are so hard to suck on! I have tried it and my face hurt after! Haha

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    It took LO about a week of giving it to him ay meals before he got the hang of it. But now, he only drinks water. He loses his crap as soon as he tastes formula in one of the cups. :-(

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We got the weighted straw one and let her keep trying, only took a couple of days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"