1st Trimester
Options

According to lmp 8 weeks and 5 days, ultrasound only measuring 4 weeks. Does this sound possible?

My last period was December 12 2014, I was 17 days late when I went to the hospital and they said I had a positive pregnancy test.

That was on February 1st, 2015.

Today was my first prenatal appointment, I didn't get a physical exam, my doctor didn't really talk to me about anything. She just handed me lab paper work and got me into ultrasound.

I should have been around 8 1/2 weeks according to my last period but the ultrasound only measured 4 weeks and 2 days. All they could see was a gestational sac. They set an appointment from a month from now for me to come back. 

I asked my doctor if that was normal or what might cause my ultrasound to look like that and all she said was "I've been doing this for 30 years and you are asking me if this is normal?" , laughed and walked out of the room.

Does this make any sense? I am really scared right now. I don't understand why I would measure 4 weeks if my last period was two months ago to the day.

What do you guys think?

Re: According to lmp 8 weeks and 5 days, ultrasound only measuring 4 weeks. Does this sound possible?

• Options
    Maybe 2 months ago you had a wonky cycle...the month after ovulated later than you thought and then got pregnant.....therefore you are 4 weeks along (then yes..it would only be a sac).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PPs said, you could have just ovulated late. Also your doctor sounds like a jerk and I think you should find a new one.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would not want this doctor involved with my pregnancy, birth, or post partum care.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I fully agree about the doctor. I have an appointment with my new doctor next week. Thank you guys for the responses! They make me so much more hopeful.
  • Options
    My last period was also on the 12th dec 2014 strangely enough and got an ultrasound sound done just 2 days a go and baby was only 6 weeks five days making me 7 weeks today. I have an irregular cycle myself so we were unsure so doc sent me to get the scan done. At first the ultrasound only showed the sac it wasnt untill she did an trainsvaginal ultrasound that she was able to find the baby and the yolk sac.

Try not to worry you might just be earlier in your preganacy :)
  • Options
    Wonky cycle. My cycles are very irregular and if it wasn't for implantation bleeding, I wouldn't have a clue how far along I am.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't think I ovulated at all after my Dec with abnormal cycle so when I found out I was pregnant I thought I was like 8-9 weeks. Had some light bleeding Dec 18th. Doc did lab work and came back 4 weeks preg. Yesterday we went in for first ob apt expecting to be 8w5d but baby only measured 7w5d heart beat was good and healthy at 170. Dr told me nothing to worry about as far as baby measuring smaller just likely that I ovulated later due to 30-32 daycycles. I wouldn't worry for right now.
  • Options
    Jeeez, 30 years too many apparently... I've seen used car salesmen with better bedside manner!
  • Options
    I also think you ovulated late. Also, get a new doc. Doctor's should answer any and every question you have no matter what.
  • Options
    Stuck in the same situation here. Have to wait another two weeks to find out. Please keep us updated!
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me. I should have been 7 weeks but I was only 4. My doctor told me I have polycystic ovary syndrome and it is nothing to worry about. It just causes you to ovulate later than you should.
  • Options
    ~UPDATE!~

I've gotten a new doctor and have an appointment in 3 days for an ultrasound and a first OB appointment. Tomorrow I'll be 7 weeks along and all is going well.

I had seen a doctor because I had some bright red spotting after sex (at 5 weeks) and they did an ultrasound. There was still just the gestational sac ( which is totally normal at that point) but it measured correctly for what it should have grown :) . Doc said that everything looked great and to not have sex for one week. I have had sex since then with no spotting whatsoever.

My symptoms have gotten stronger and I have new pregnancy symptoms as well, so that is a good thing!
    I will update (try to remember to update) on Thursday afternoon. 

Thank you all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"