Infertility
Options

PG after 4 years of unexplained infertility...there is hope, don't give up

Hi. I am StefH1973, but you can call me Stef. I am 41, have polycystic kidney disease, one fallopian tube that is scarred closed, and a history of HBP and DVT. I also just found out that I may also have a bicornuate or septate (heart shaped) uterus...I will get another sonogram at the hospital on Friday to confirm this. Over the past 4 years, I have undergone an insane amount of testing, poking, and prodding with no real answers after having a miscarriage at 6 weeks PG. I was treated by 2 infertility clinics, both of which did every test under the sun (all were normal). I completed 6 cycles of IUI and one cycle of stimulated IVF with embryonic genetic testing...which yielded one more early miscarriage at 6 weeks. To be honest, I had given up hope and resigned myself to be stuck in the "unexplained infertility" category. Recently, I went to the doctor after getting food poisoning and found out that I am PG again(totally spontanious). When I went to my Ob, I learned that I may have an abnormality with my uterus that would explain why I can get PG but always miscarry at 6 weeks (completely missed by both infertility clinics despite being numerous ultrasounds and going inside my uterus with a camera). Of course I have been preparing for another miscarriage...but for the first time ever, I have made it to 7 weeks PG, and this time there is implantation and a tiny heartbeat! I tell you this story for two reasons... First, if all your tests are coming back normal and you keep having early miscarriage or "chemical pregnancy"...insist that your doc checks for a bicornuate or septate uterus. It increases the risk for infertility and early miscarriage by 88%...I wish I had known about this when I was going through IVF, because it is correctable and I could have saved myself a lot of heartache, time, and tens of thousands of dollars in testing and treatment. Second, I want you to know there is hope, no matter how difficult it may seem. If a hopeless case like me can get (and stay) PG without any help, despite all my risk factors and against all odds, then there is hope for others too. I wish you all the best...I hope you all find answers to your infertility issues, and are able to successfully overcome infertility.

<a href=

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: PG after 4 years of unexplained infertility...there is hope, don't give up

• Options
    Congratulations for you. So glad to hear your success story. You've been through a lot and you got your reward. Congrats again!
  • Options
    Ugh.
    TTC #1 since 2011 · Me (35, PCOS, AMA, abnormal eggs) and DH (47, MFI)
    2012-2013: 3 Clomid cycles, 3 IUIs, all BFNs
    IVF #1 January 2014: 14R/12M/9F 1 transferred, 3 frozen = BFN
    FET #1 March 2014: 1 transferred = BFFN · FET #2 May 2014: 2 transferred = BFFN
    IVF #2 June 2014: 24R/11M/10F 6 PGS tested: 1 normal embryo, 1 with no result
    FET #3 in March 2015: 2 transferred = BFFN
    imageimageimageimageimage
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations and here's to a very healthy and happy 9 months to you! Thank you for the advice; something to definitely consider and research before we take that next IVF step. 
  • Options
    Ummm  would you guys like for me to create a Welcome announcement blog that addresses drive bys?   LMK

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    What does that mean @goldenkeys?
  • Options
    LuBirdie said:
    What does that mean @goldenkeys?
    Generally speaking we have welcome posts on the top of each board to let new people understand the culture of that particular board.   The announcement post would let people know when it's appropriate to post BFP's, etc.   Unfortunately the welcome post/newbie blog on this board has been deleted, which may cause people to get blindsided by pregnancy announcements that they weren't ready for.

• Options
    Oh right, gotcha...  thanks for explaining "drive-bys" I thought it was about someone coming in and replying to every thread and selling something. It is refreshing to hear there's hope after so many years and its NOT coming from some website or sales testimonial! Her title of post did mention it. 
  • Options
    So correct @Twinkie0612!!!  

@GoldenKeys I think you have an excellent suggestion!!!
    ********Warning BFPs and Losses Mentioned*********
    ME-38 DH-39  DX: DOR  TTC since Nov 2011.
    5/6/13 IUI#1 BFN
    6/3/13 IUI#2 BFN
    7/3/13 IUI#3 BFN
    8/813 IUI#4 cancelled bc no stim
    Referred to IVF
    IVF #1 9/25 start Stims
    10/10 ER 7 Mature Eggs
    10/11 Fertilization Report-nothing fertilized so a rescue ICSI performed.  4 eggs were fertilized.  
    10/13 3 embryos transferred on 3 days(7 cell, 5 cell and 4 cell)
    10/25 Beta BFN
    IVF #2 Start Stims Feb 2014
    2/7 ER 14 Embies...9 Fertilized
    2/12 ET 2 excellent grade.  2 frosties
    2/21/2014 First BFP EVER....ELATED
    3/28/2014 Miscarried.  DNC performed that day. 8w6d
    6/20/2014 FET 2 frosties.  
    6/30/2014 SO HAPPY...BFP #2
    7/21/2014 First u/s.  Low heart rate. Scheduled 2nd u/s in 1 week. 6weeks
    7/28/2014 U/S #2...no heartrate.  Scheduled DNC for 8/1/2014 7weeks
    2/15/2015 IVF #3  E2 Protocol ER 12 eggs retrieved.  ICSI'd 9.  
    2/20/2015 2 transferred. None to freeze.  
    03/2/2015 Beta 4 - CP 
    4/2015 IVF #4 E2 Protocal
    4/19/2015 ER 13R, 11M, 10F w/ICSI
    4/24/2015 ET 2 blasts none to freeze
    5/4/2015 Beta 1 108 
    5/6/2015 Beta 2 225

imageimage
  • Options
    So correct @Twinkie0612!!!  

@GoldenKeys I think you have an excellent suggestion!!!
    Okay I can work on one tonight, and will post a draft of it tomorrow.  Then you guys can let me know if changes are needed before I make it sticky.   What do you think?

• Options
    Sorry ladies...I meant no harm. I really just wanted to give others who may be going through what I went through for the past 4 years some hope...I wish I had someone to give me hope when it was me going through it. Again, I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. I wish you all the best.

<a href=

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ladies,

Twinkie0612StefH1973 is indeed helpful to know about because, a Kidney patient has very lower odds of getting and staying pregnant (its worse for female patients). I constantly see posts by other Kidney patients who don't get pregnant or miscarry EVERYTIME on the Kidney boards. The fact that she did get a BFP and went on to 7 weeks, is something in itself & her point was something trivial and obvious to find was missed. Her kidneys are not working a 100% like most of ours work & this contributes to toxins building up in the system & many fertility issues and automatically makes her pregnancy a high risk one. She either has or will need a Kidney transplant & same goes with dialysis- as a witness to this disease, I will tell you that this is a horrible disease. Kidney disease messes up everything, the quality of your eggs, quality of your sperm, the ability to sustain a pregnancy, higher risk for diabetes & mother going into complete kidney failure (immediately requiring dialysis, which can cause loss of pregancy) etc. 
    After PGS we had 16% viability of our embryos (1 of 6) because of my husband's CKD, so take this as something that indicates how random stuff does happen and maybe there is hope for some of us...just take the positive in it. Also, adoption is not an option for most of us going through this (Kidney disease in the family) because one parent with a critical life threatening illness automatically makes us an undesirable match (in the U.S. & this disqualifies us in many international cases as well) & most domestic agencies refuse to consider us...I know this because we have gone down that route. So, really trust me ... this is not a small thing & I am happy she shared this on this board.

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• Options
    I'm in agreement with ddvj79. While most drive bys are nauseating, this one had info for ladies with very specific health conditions that might have been told they can't have treatment or get pregnant, or who knows what.

Most of us on this board have been (or are) in a clueless state on how to navigate our healthcare system, make some pretty tough decisions about our care, and which doctor is the one who can help.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I appreciate your understanding. Just to clarify, I am a child therapist and a Social Worker who has devoted my entire adult life to helping children who have been abused and neglected and helping them transition into loving homes. I am a strong advocate for adoption and believe that every child deserves a loving home. Unfotunately, as ddvj79 mentioned, my health conditions diqualified me for adoption, so we had lost all hope. I never meant to imply that pregnancy was the only path to a happy ending, only to give some information that I learned the hard way through the past four heartbreaking years. Everyone's situation is of course unique, but I wanted to offer hope, support and hopefully some useful information to others who may have similar health conditions, escpecially because my uterine condition is something that docs don't automatically check for but really should have been noticed through all the fertility testing and treatment. Again, I wish you all the best, and hope you all find your happy endings, whatever that may look like.

<a href=

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"