April 2015 Moms

Sleeping on your back

good morning everyone! Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am. I know your not supposed to sleep on your back after the first trimester but every night i wake up and find myself on my back. I move back over to my side but I never seem to stay there. It doesn't make sense to me that a sleeping position could hurt the baby but I could be wrong. Any ideas/advise??

Re: Sleeping on your back

• I think this has been talked about a lot. But it has been happening to me too!

My opinion is that when you wake up on your back it's your body telling you to switch to your side. What I do is tuck a blanket against my back to prevent me from laying fully on my back.
     The reason it's bad is because now that the baby is getting heavier, he/she is reducing the amount of blood flow into the uterus. Also, because the baby is bigger he/she crowds your lungs more when you are laying down. 

Just tuck a blanket or a pillow behind your back and not worry too much! 

Me: 26 DH: 29
    3/13: Miscarriage
    11/13: Ectopic Pregnancy-removal of 1 fallopian tube

BFP: 8/21/14 

Moses born by emergency C-section 4/23/2015

It's a Boy!

• Sometimes I'm most comfortable on my back. I wedge my body pillow under my right side so I'm tilted. Gets some pressure off. Completely fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor told me to definitely avoid sleeping on my back, however if I found myself in that position when I woke up, not to worry because it's probably just my body telling me to switch positions. She told me that laying on my back, while elevated (with several pillows, like in a reclining position) is fine, so maybe try that?

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I find myself on my back a lot in the middle of the night as well. I agree with PPs about experimenting with pillows and trying to at least keep your upper half elevated a bit.
  • My Dr told me not to worry if I wake up on my back but to turn back to my side when I wake up. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I sleep on atleast two pillows at all times because I have GERD and it makes me throw up in my sleep but it just concerned me. It's getting so close to d day I worry about him more than ever now.
  • I do that also! I just wake up and move positions. I hate sleeping on my back (even before pregnancy) so it's strange I am doing it now. LO does kick my side a lot at night so maybe it's me moving thinking it's my hubby poking me lol
  • My doctor gave me great advice that was, when your not suppose to sleep on your back, you'll know it. I can feel when there's too much pressure from laying on my back instantly and I adjust until I feel good again. Trust your body it knows what's up (I also do the body pillow tucked under my right side I get too sore sleeping on one side all night)
  • At my 34 week appointment this past Wednesday my doctor did a quick ultrasound. I got extremely dizzy and lightheaded laying on my back since baby was on the right side stopping my blood supply. I can see how much harm it could do considering how I felt after only about 2 minutes.
  • I have to sleep on my back.  Sleeping on either side puts too much pressure on my hips and I wake up in pain.  I do sleep with my head elevated using multiple pillows though so I'm not flat.
    ~
    Married May 18, 2013
    Expecting our first child April 3, 2015
  • I sleep on my back every night (I'm 34 weeks) and my doctor says it's fine. What I do is place a pillow under my left or right hip so that my belly is tipped to one side slightly. My dr says that's enough to get baby off any arteries or from squishing organs and it's perfectly safe. Hope this helps!
  • My midwife says when you have to stop sleeping on your back, you will know it. If it's still comfortable for you and you are not getting dizzy or breathless then it's fine to sleep in your back. I have found sleeping with a cushion between my legs on my side is most comfortable but sometimes I wake up in my back and just stay there because it feels good. The most important thing is getting the most sleep possible because that's critical to your general well being!
  • I'm 34+1 and I try to sleep on either side but I'm so much more comfortable sleeping on my back!! If only I could sleep on my stomach still, then I'd be set! Lol
  • They also say not to sleep on your stomach but I find that I still do (at least in my bed not in my fiancé's) I think it's mainly what is comfortable for you. My doctor never said anything to me about sleeping positions and what not. What's best for one person may not be for you! Just like they say the left side is usually more comfortable, errrrrrrr, wrong my right side is more comfortable for me.
  • @kier23, the left side is recommend because your liver is on the right and pressure from your uterus can impede its function. As well, circulation is improved on left side. That being said, I sleep on both due to hips aching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"