March 2015 Moms
Options

Am I missing something??

So, my Mom is in town vising this weekend, helping me do some last minute baby things. I came home from work today and my dishes were done and the bathroom was cleaned, what a peach! So grateful for her.

Anywho, when I got home today, I took off my shoes and socks and got comfy on the couch. My mom took one look at my plump feet and was like "HOLY CRAP, YOUR FEET ARE SO SWOLLEN!" borderline flipped out, lol. She then took her thumb and pressed it into the top of my foot, which left an indent that took a few seconds to fill back in. (If that makes sense?) 
She asked me if my doctor had been checking my hands/feet at my appointments, which my doctor has never done. My doctor has asked me if I'm swollen, I say yes, then we move on, nbd. My mom was so taken back and concerned at the fact that my doctor had never looked at my feet... I mean, I knew I was swollen but I didn't think it was THAT bad. My blood pressure is always normal and my doctor has never raised a concern.... 

Do your doctors check your hands/feet at your appointments? Should I show my doctor my apparently freakishly swollen feet next week? Or is my mom being her typical, loony, over concerned self? lol 

FTM problems.

Re: Am I missing something??

• Options
    You could certainly show them. Mine have never looked bc like you my BP is fine. I mentioned a bit more swelling at my last appointment and the response was that it's regular pregnancy swelling, not to be concerned bc my BP is good. Like anything can't hurt to ask them. Also I'd imagine if you are in a warm climate (don't know where you live) it could make it worse.
  • Options
    @Bostonchelle I'm actually in a rather cold climate. I live in Ohio, its been dumping a bunch of snow on us around here lately. But yeah, my BP has always been normal.. I have gained a pretty significant amount of weight since becoming pregnant, but with as much as I'm swelling, not surprised. When my doctor asked about my weight spiking is when she asked if I was swelling, I told her yes then she just said its probably lots of water weight and we moved on. So I guess my mom is just flipping cause that's what moms do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doc checks my feet and hands because my BP can be all over the place. They have just started being worried because I have started to have severe headaches that last for days but without that additional symptom my doc was never worried about the swelling. I will say that I was told by an OB I work with to put my feet up in the middle of a conference!
  • Options
    Pitting edema. Lots of water retention. Not much you can do. Elevate your feet. If BP is fine...doctors dont usually make a hype about it. Im in the same boat...i even have toe rolls
  • Options
    @nicolerae90 LOL toe rolls, I have those too, and these kankles are massive. 
  • Options
    Haha its rediculous isnt it!?
  • Options
    @nicolerae90 So ridiculous! My face is really plump too. I absolutely HATE taking pictures right now... I look at my face and I'm just like wow, I don't even look like myself.... Who is this chunker?! lol
  • Options
    It sounds to me like you're explaining pitted edema, which is common in pregnancy. It can be a sign of pre- eclampsia when accompanied by other signs such as a sudden increase in blood pressure as well as a few other things that can be evaluated by urine tests. It's definitely worth bringing up to and showing to your doctor, but if he hasn't found anything else to be concerned about then just keep your feet up. A nice thing to do can be to freeeze a disposable water bottle And then roll it under your feet. It's like a nice cold foot massage a could help with the swelling. :)
  • Options
    @lisajewall I will definitely have to try that one!! Thanks! :D
  • Options
    My blood pressure has never been high, but he still checks my legs and ankles at every appt. I would just bring it up at the next appointment and not stress about it too much.

• Options
    My blood pressure is fine, but my doc still physically checks my ankles at every time since 32 weeks.
  • Options
    38 weeks and nobody has ever checked my hands and or feet. The intake nurse does ask if I'm swelling. I say yes. That's the end of that. I just soak my feet in epsom salt every night, after my husband saw them one night and said oh my god your ankles are huge! They go back to regular size by morning. Bp normal to low. Protein regular. Sugar regular. Weight gain regular.
  • Options
    My mum freaks out about my swelling every time I see her but a degree of it is just a normal part of pregnancy as far as I've been told. It is much worse when you've been standing up or active for long periods, I know over Christmas my legs blew up about ten times the size.

My doctor has only checked my swelling when I've asked her to. The cause for concern is pre-eclampsia which is why they test your BP and your urine regularly. If both of these are fine then the swelling is just swelling.

I've always been told if you get any major sudden swelling in your face and hands to get checked out pronto though. Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    They asked me the same thing and I say yes. My doctor says the same thing with my BP being normal. She only mentioned once if one leg or ankle was a lot bigger than the other, then show her. It's not. Their are days that my ankles get very swollen at the end of my day so I right away lay on my left side curled up. Laying on your left side is the best way, it helps with the circulation. And drinking more fluids each hour even though it means more peeing, but that helps reduce it as well.
    I try to take baths a couple times a week also a helpful hint. Hopefully that helps.
  • Options
    I go to a practice that is the father and two of his children. The son is my dr, but I have seen all of them just incase he's not available when I deliver. The only one who has checked my ankles is the father. So maybe it's something that is "old school"?
  • Options
    Some swelling is normal during pregnancy even when your BP is normal. I am still working and on my feet everyday. When I get home, i don't just put my feet up. I lay on my left side. I was told by my midwife this helps with circulation. Also, I was told to drink more water. If you are near a pool, I was told standing in the water to your neck for 30mins will also help.
  • Options
    My blood pressure is always really good too but I mentioned my swollen feet to the nurse a few appointments ago and she just squeezed one of my ankles and said its fine, just to try to put my feet up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"