August 2015 Moms

Family making fun of your baby name!

We just found out we're having a girl. We've had names picked out for 3 years. Our final girl name is Annalisa or Anna Lisa(haven't decided if we're separating it yet.) Well my immature brother laughed and said he could call her "Anal." It upset me but I let it go because he has the mind of a teenager. Now, my sister-in-law has started an open discussion on facebook amongst her friends about how ugly the name is and how she'll be made fun of and called "anal." Mind you, she's older than me, in the military, and has kids of her own with very unique names.
I just can't believe the cruelty that is surrounding my baby's name. I thought we would have support, not criticism. Also, it's my baby. I do believe she's growing inside of my body. When they decide to have a baby, they can name it whatever they want!
I just had to vent. I just can't believe it.

Re: Family making fun of your baby name!

• Seriously....I know it is your family, but F them! That is really rude of them and you are 100% right, your baby, your choice, not theirs. I completely agree with PP that you should call them out on their immature behavior. It is absolutely ridiculous that your SIL has taken it to the next level and is discussing it on social media...clearly she must not have a very exciting life if this is all she can think to talk about with her friends. I am sorry they are being so rude to you. Don't let them get to you, I think it is a beautiful name! As PP also mentioned, this is why a lot of people choose not to share name choices until the baby is here and named, but it is sad that your own family can't control themselves. Again, don't let it get to you - but call them out!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's a beautiful name! My name is Lisa, so maybe I'm biased lol but I really do love it! People can be such jerks these days.
  • I like this name very much and I did not think at all about this nickname. I think they are very rude and as other people said you need to set them straight.
  • The name is beautiful and I don't even see how they got "anal" from it. You should tell them it upset you! I would still use it
  • I called her out on it. She said she was just curious what others thought and she was concerned. I told her there's nothing to be concerned about except how cruel it is to act that way. It's not like we're going to give her a buzz cut and call her Bob even though she's a girl.. Ughhh
  • Your family should back you with nothing but support and encouragement, not bring you down and especially not involve others (unrelated) publicly in your business. I would definitely sit down with them and explain your concerns with them as that's very immature behavior and extremely insulting to not only you but also your unborn baby. That being said I love the name Annalisa, so unique and cute. :) you stick to what you love, don't let the opinions of others change your mind.
  • OP I don't even see how this is an issue for them. I have know some Annalisas in my life, and don't recall any of them remotely being made fun of or called anal. When kids are old enough to even know that word, they're beyond that. Seriously F them, that is such a Beavis and butthead type of behavior, which just makes them seem immature, insensitive, and frankly uneducated. Attitudes like that by adults contribute to bullying behavior exhibited in children. So sorry they are being like that. It shows the character of your family members..stick to you're guns @sjra1028
  • As a high school teacher with that perspective, if you name a child that in this day and age all she wil be called by her classmates is anal.
    While it is a pretty name, kids are very mean, and don't give a shit about hurting someone's feelings.
    Maybe your family is just trying to point out the difficult time your child could have while growing up.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• nininou19 said:

I like this name very much and I did not think at all about this nickname. I think they are very rude and as other people said you need to set them straight.

Serious, your brother and SIL sound like assholes, I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. If you love the name than keep it and chuck them.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• My sister had this same problem when she told our aunts that she was naming my nephew Gabriel. She told them at a cousins wedding and they went around calling her belly gay gabe. My sister, being the pistol that she is, told them off at the reception in front of everyone. Then, like a champ, blamed it on pregnancy hormones. He was never called Gay Gabe again. I've already been told that my kid will probably be a snob if we name her Ainsley. Just gotta brush it off. Good luck, and the name Annalisa is beautiful.
  • How immature. However, as I always say this is why we don't share names until the baby is born. People will always have something to say.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I also know an Annalisa and it has never occurred to me to call her anal. Your family sound like assholes.
  • Thank you ladies! This has actually made me love her name that much more!
  • Kids are mean and will make fun of any name! My name is Ashley (one of the most popular names of our generation) and I can't count the number of times I was called "Ass-ley" or just "Ass".

Every child will have to deal with some kind of bullying, it's just important to teach them how to deal with it.

• This is not a new joke your brother made up. It is kind of a joke name just like Sha'dynasty.
  • mtxomtxo member
    Anna is a gorgeous name, where did they come up with this? Not cool.
  • I do not get this at all....Annalisa is super normal
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a job that has me looking up butt holes multiple times a day. It frequently leads to a very childish sense of humor and I probably make more butt jokes than your average 37 year old women and the word "anal" doesn't even register as a nickname for Annalisa. I think it is a beautifully classic yet unique name.
  • If my SIL pulled a stunt like that, I would want to kick her ass. I would wait until after the baby was born of course.
  • strauber said:

I have a job that has me looking up butt holes multiple times a day. It frequently leads to a very childish sense of humor and I probably make more butt jokes than your average 37 year old women and the word "anal" doesn't even register as a nickname for Annalisa. I think it is a beautifully classic yet unique name.

In other words, she would never be the "butt" of your jokes? **cue cheesy joke drum roll** (And OP this was towards her job and butt jokes, NOT the name, which as I stated above, I love!).
  • Love, love, love the name!
  • Love, love, love the name!

Thank you!
  • Every name is bound to get some teasing (even the most common seemingly tease-proof ones). Children can be cruel. If they can't tease the first name they'll go for the last and if that's no good. They'll make up a ridiculous rhyme. But don't let people discourage you from choosing a unique name because once the childhood teasing stage is over- those with unique names are often the envy of those with common names ;) I personally think Anna Lisa is beautiful! I hope the people who are saying otherwise outgrow their childhood teasing stage before retirement :)

Good luck!!!!
  • I know a very sweet young lady named Annalisa. Sometimes her mom says it shorter, Annalise. :)
    Regardless of other associations (which are so uncalled for!), it's so easy to think of Annalisa in a pleasant way. I would hope her character comes to match the cadence of her name.
  • Annalisa is a very pretty name, I used to teach AWANA at my church and had I little girl with that name. They were kindergarteners so no name calling of that kind.

I went through this with my last pregnancy. I wanted to name our daughter Teagan Quinn and I had almost brought my husband around to it when a close family friend said 'T-bag Quinn?'

I didn't get to name her Teagan. He won't be here when this one is born and I'm really considering naming this one whatever I want and he'll get over it eventually.
  • Ahh, these are just awful! I have a funny one- we aren't telling anyone our name until it's on a birth certificate, but our boy name was "Hank"- we had a family member say, well, as long as you don't name it something like Henry or Hank...haha! Good think we found out it's a girl and don't even have to cross that bridge! 

What are the odds?? 
  • Annalisa is a very pretty name, I used to teach AWANA at my church and had I little girl with that name. They were kindergarteners so no name calling of that kind.

I went through this with my last pregnancy. I wanted to name our daughter Teagan Quinn and I had almost brought my husband around to it when a close family friend said 'T-bag Quinn?'

I didn't get to name her Teagan. He won't be here when this one is born and I'm really considering naming this one whatever I want and he'll get over it eventually.

I love that name! It is ridiculous how people, especially family, can react over a name. Supposedly some of my family had a fit over my name because I'm named after my grandfathers(Samantha Jo.) I named my son Samuel Joseph.
  • I think it's better to keep names a secret until the baby is born. Then there's nothing they can do about it. We haven't been sharing, not even with my dad.
  • I love Annalisa! I bet she'll get called Annalise a lot, but that's about as far as that will go... I love it!
    Trigger Warning (LC and loss) -- 
    Married May 2008 
    Beautiful daughter Alyssa born April 23, 2011 
    Precious son Isaac born at 34 weeks in April 27, 2014 with Potters Syndrome Type 4 and Down Syndrome - trusted into the arms of Jesus after 3 hours.
    Pregnant again! Due August 8, 2015 please be healthy, little one!

(results on 2/4/15 showed no Down's and it's a girl!) Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • What a beautiful name!!! We are having problems with my Mom not liking our name we have picked out for a boy, Finley, we won't know for another 4 weeks what the gender is but she told me "if that's your boy name I really hope it's a girl".
  • What a beautiful name!!! We are having problems with my Mom not liking our name we have picked out for a boy, Finley, we won't know for another 4 weeks what the gender is but she told me "if that's your boy name I really hope it's a girl".

I love Finley!
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    I don't hear or see anal at all! Jerks!!! How disgusting for this to be their reaction over a baby's name! It'd be the last time I got personal with those people. See them at Thanksgiving, if that, and that would be IT. I don't take kindly to people being unjustly cruel to the innocent.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We tell everyone we are naming the baby Skywalker T-Rex... They have stopped asking and offering opinions. I think my MIL is starting to think we are serious... ;)
  • We tell everyone we are naming the baby Skywalker T-Rex... They have stopped asking and offering opinions. I think my MIL is starting to think we are serious... ;)

That made my night. Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"