June 2015 Moms

Daily Gripes and Complaints Fri 2/27

What's annoying you today?

Re: Daily Gripes and Complaints Fri 2/27

• People freaking out because it may snow again today. Ugh, we're in Texas. :-/
  • Honestly, this morning I'm irked over football. I'm sure the hormones aren't helping the situation, but eff these people, man. I live in Wisconsin now, which is Green Bay Packers land. I moved this past summer from NYC, where I was a season ticket holder for the NY Islanders hockey team, and a Mets fan in the summer. Both the Isles and Mets wear orange and blue. My favorite winter hat is orange and blue, cause its an Isles hat. Everywhere I go here with that hat on, people side eye me wearing it, or call me a 'dunce'. Its because the Chicago Bears also wear orange and blue. Never mind that it has a huge NY Islanders logo on it. Taking DH to work just now we were at a gas station and a gal snickered and called me a dunce to her friend, and I couldn't help but turn around and call her a ignorant fool. She was not best pleased. The entire world is not involved in your football rivalry with Chicago, people! Other teams wear orange and blue!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Not really an annoyance so much as a general feeling of being overwhelmed. There are so many different things that I feel like I should do when baby gets here to protect her, but I'm worried about crossing the line to paranoia and royally ticking off everyone I know haha. For example, today's worry - requesting that everyone be up-to-date on vaccines before they hold her until she gets her shots. On one hand - important for her health. On the other - is it really my business to demand that people, including my in-laws and my immediate family, tell me details about their medical history before letting them hold her? There are a few months to decide, but thinking about trying to find a balance is stressful! So yeah, my complaint of the day is that impending parenthood is especially stressful to me today for some reason haha.

Also, my vaccine dilemma questions are rhetorical but feel free to chime in if you want, I'm open to hearing people's thoughts!
  • I've actually also been wondering about this whole vaccine thing for people visiting. I'd like to hear some info on this, too. My mom, stepdad, and dad all want to visit at some point (I think late July for my mom and step dad, and august for my dad) and I don't think I can put my foot down for mom or step dad to be vaccinated - step dad is immune compromised with leukemia, and mom has history of getting really sick from vaccines. My dad is coming (if he does truly come) from Guatemala, of all places! I do plan on asking my Dr at my next visit, fyi.
  • mellymar said:

I've actually also been wondering about this whole vaccine thing for people visiting. I'd like to hear some info on this, too. My mom, stepdad, and dad all want to visit at some point (I think late July for my mom and step dad, and august for my dad) and I don't think I can put my foot down for mom or step dad to be vaccinated - step dad is immune compromised with leukemia, and mom has history of getting really sick from vaccines. My dad is coming (if he does truly come) from Guatemala, of all places! I do plan on asking my Dr at my next visit, fyi.

Yeah, I have an appointment with my OB in a few weeks and I plan to ask him what his thoughts are. I know both of our families will be out to see her within at most a month of her being born (actually, in all likelihood, my in-laws will probably be out by the weekend after she's born), so she won't have any vaccines yet and it'll be down to me and DH to figure out how much exposure to germs is ok. Ugh, FTM problems lol
  • @MamaBish I'm feeling so grateful right now that my MIL is very tactful! I hope yours decides to find her filter, and if she doesn't, best of luck tonight! When does your MIL leave? For your sake, I hope it's soon!
  • @MamaBish I'm feeling so grateful right now that my MIL is very tactful! I hope yours decides to find her filter, and if she doesn't, best of luck tonight! When does your MIL leave? For your sake, I hope it's soon!

Lol, not soon enough! She is *supposed* to leave on Sunday but she always manages to get her husband to stay a little longer. Sadly, my MIL has never had a filter in the 11 years I have known her so I doubt it's going to show up tonight! I will definitely be pulling the pregnant card and going to bed early. Which means I'll really just be hiding in the bedroom on here ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• People freaking out because it may snow again today. Ugh, we're in Texas. :-/

My sister lives in Texas as well and is a transplant from Minnesota.  She just sent me a pic of the "storm" which is a small dusting of snow and her kids are home from school.  It's hilarious!  The poor kids in MN pray for snow days and never get them!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• @mellymar You're my new favorite person!! LET'S GO ISLANDERS :) To piggyback your gripe, my DH and his family are all HUGE Rangers fans and they won't stop giving me sh*t because they're tied for 1st in the metropolitan division with my beloved Isles. I'm tired of defending myself... i swear, i will be the happiest effing person on this planet if the isles can get the cup in the same year my first born enters this world. I WANT NOTHING MORE THAN THAT!! well maybe a healthy, painfree labor and delivery too lol
  • Great....my boss came in late, and he's sick and not feeling well with some sort of stomach issue. Just lovely.Stay the hell away from me! Go home! I don't want to get sick. Ugh!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not really an annoyance so much as a general feeling of being overwhelmed. There are so many different things that I feel like I should do when baby gets here to protect her, but I'm worried about crossing the line to paranoia and royally ticking off everyone I know haha. For example, today's worry - requesting that everyone be up-to-date on vaccines before they hold her until she gets her shots. On one hand - important for her health. On the other - is it really my business to demand that people, including my in-laws and my immediate family, tell me details about their medical history before letting them hold her? There are a few months to decide, but thinking about trying to find a balance is stressful! So yeah, my complaint of the day is that impending parenthood is especially stressful to me today for some reason haha.

Also, my vaccine dilemma questions are rhetorical but feel free to chime in if you want, I'm open to hearing people's thoughts!

Okay, this was a real concern for some parents I know that take their newborns to a group class with a lot of mix aged kids. One parent I trust called both his doctor and the state dept. of health to ask. The advice give by both was to watch the state site for announcement of a measles outbreak or anything similarly dangerous. When an outbreak is active in your state/community it makes sense to have these concerns, when no outbreak is pending you should be safe to bring your newborn out.

I think if there is an active outbreak in you community you can just make an announcement that in light of the outbreak you don't want your newborn exposed to visitors that aren't vaccinated. This is sane. On the other hand if there's not outbreak I would not ask your in-laws there vaccination status. I get where you are coming from but unfortunately these diseases are transmitted in an airborne way, asking your in-laws before you let them hold your newborn in too late, to completely isolate your child (which is impossible), you'd have to just let them know they won't be meeting their granddaughter, and you won't be taking her out of the house until she is one year and fully vaccinated. And what harm would it cause your daughter to keep her locked in the house for a year! Probably quite a bit!. I'm not trying to make light of your fears but I think you will need to find a balance. So many thing will be fearful in these first few years. We'll all be having summer babies so thankfully its outside of cold and flu season. Ask people to wash their hands before they hold her leave it at that. And remember that exposure to bacteria and allergens may actually be good for our future health. Read this, maybe it will help you relax https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120322142157.htm

Okay, this was a real concern for some parents I know that take their newborns to a group class with a lot of mix aged kids. One parent I trust called both his doctor and the state dept. of health to ask. The advice give by both was to watch the state site for announcement of a measles outbreak or anything similarly dangerous. When an outbreak is active in your state/community it makes sense to have these concerns, when no outbreak is pending you should be safe to bring your newborn out.

I think if there is an active outbreak in you community you can just make an announcement that in light of the outbreak you don't want your newborn exposed to visitors that aren't vaccinated. This is sane. On the other hand if there's not outbreak I would not ask your in-laws there vaccination status. I get where you are coming from but unfortunately these diseases are transmitted in an airborne way, asking your in-laws before you let them hold your newborn in too late, to completely isolate your child (which is impossible), you'd have to just let them know they won't be meeting their granddaughter, and you won't be taking her out of the house until she is one year and fully vaccinated. And what harm would it cause your daughter to keep her locked in the house for a year! Probably quite a bit!. I'm not trying to make light of your fears but I think you will need to find a balance. So many thing will be fearful in these first few years. We'll all be having summer babies so thankfully its outside of cold and flu season. Ask people to wash their hands before they hold her leave it at that. And remember that exposure to bacteria and allergens may actually be good for our future health. Read this, maybe it will help you relax https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120322142157.htm
    Thanks so much for weighing in on this! I've really been struggling with it because on the one hand I really don't want her to get a serious disease but she can't live in a bubble, either. I'll definitely keep an eye my state's site to watch got outbreaks. Thanks for sharing the article and thanks for responding without treating me like a crazy person haha :)
  • ksimo6 said:

People freaking out because it may snow again today. Ugh, we're in Texas. :-/

My sister lives in Texas as well and is a transplant from Minnesota.  She just sent me a pic of the "storm" which is a small dusting of snow and her kids are home from school.  It's hilarious!  The poor kids in MN pray for snow days and never get them!
    Yes! I just got a call from my girls' school, they're letting out early due to this "snow storm."
  • Feeling really down today...... I have a feeling it's due to being up everyday at 230 am peeing constantly and never being able to get back to sleep. No sleep = emotional and depressed .............. I tried caffeine but it doesn't seem to be helping.
  • @mommaswizz Lets Go Islanders! Sports buddies!

:x
  • I got up to pee 6 times last night. I don't know where the liquid comes from!!
  • @mellymar I'm a Red Sox fan, my husbands a Mets fan. He mentioned naming out daughter Shea. I nicely declined. Maybe a middle name!

@karaelaine1991 I'm in a similar boat. I'd like to ask immediate family to get flu and pertussis shots. I feel like that's reasonable? Much of my fam works with the general public - retail, hairdressing, etc. so even if they aren't sick, they could be carrying things. But partly I don't know if they all have health care coverage right now, so I feel a bit demanding. I know they'd do it if I asked.
  • edited February 2015
    @hoosonfirst glad to know I'm not the only one! DH's family has a 4th of July party every year and DD will be about a month old at that point assuming she comes on her due date and I'm so nervous about that event in particular. Like, do I just ask for washed hands and hope for the best as she's passed around by 30 people? Or be the bad guy and ask who's vaccinated? I'm really hoping my pediatrician will be able to put my mind at ease about all this when the time comes haha
  • @mellymar @hoosonfirst on the topic of sports names, if DD were a boy, DH and I were seriously considering Andrew Troy, after Andrew McCutchen and Troy Polamalu. DH is a HUGE Pittsburgh fan and while I'm not into sports, my dad's middle name is Andrew and I have a BA in history, so I thought the reference to the Battle of Troy would be cool/unique. Maybe for another kid down the road!
  • I'm just completely overwhelmed right now. I keep thinking of things we need to get done. And both my family and DH's family are on my nerves about showers. Everyone keeps telling me not to buy anything and just wait till the showers. OK, great, but can someone actually tell me when that's going to be? And then my mom starts asking me what I want everyone to bring food wise, I thought it was the job of the hostesses to figure it out. They constantly have excuses of why they haven't planned anything and it's driving me nuts. My sister is just really hurting my feelings because I helped plan her wedding, threw her wedding shower and bachelorette party, threw her baby shower and then helped with my neice's 1st bday party. DH and I eloped so no one helped us with anything except our very low key reception. I don't feel like it's asking for much for someone to give me a place and date. I'm at the point of not even wanting a shower anymore.
  • hoosonfirst Shea would work for a middle name, sure. But what name do *you* get to use to honor your team? Fair's fair, right?

karaelaine1991 Andrew Troy actually sounds pretty cool. And both names have meaning to you beyond the sports reference, so I could probably get behind that if I were in your place.

• Hey all I live in jersey and this cold weather is overly drying and now my skin is cracking and nose congested as well as a sore thought :( misery loves company any one else suffering? Any suggestions?
  • @cboutros I've started using saline nasal spray. Safe for pregnancy!
  • Sciatic pain!!!
  • I also have sciatic pain. I use to get it before pregnancy too. For me solution is an arch support for my flat foot. But any insert to support the foot should help. Good luck.
  • mellymar said:

Honestly, this morning I'm irked over football. I'm sure the hormones aren't helping the situation, but eff these people, man. I live in Wisconsin now, which is Green Bay Packers land. I moved this past summer from NYC, where I was a season ticket holder for the NY Islanders hockey team, and a Mets fan in the summer. Both the Isles and Mets wear orange and blue. My favorite winter hat is orange and blue, cause its an Isles hat. Everywhere I go here with that hat on, people side eye me wearing it, or call me a 'dunce'. Its because the Chicago Bears also wear orange and blue. Never mind that it has a huge NY Islanders logo on it. Taking DH to work just now we were at a gas station and a gal snickered and called me a dunce to her friend, and I couldn't help but turn around and call her a ignorant fool. She was not best pleased. The entire world is not involved in your football rivalry with Chicago, people! Other teams wear orange and blue!

I live in Wisconsin and have never even heard the word dunce! Wtf is wrong with people. I love my Packers like most of Wisconsin but don't give a rats ass who you cheer for.
  • @katyertl maybe its Door County thing, since they see so many people up from Chicago in the summer. A lot of these towns have really small winter (year round) populations and during the summer swell to stuffed with people coming up from up from Chicago to vacation in their second homes. I could see locals being annoyed with that, which may make them feel worse about the rivalry, but I still don't like the Bears, and don't like the constant assumption that I do
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"